It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Brain Cell is the Same as the Universe

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by eriathwen

Sorry, but some people's noses look like a penis, that does not mean their nose, is a penis. I am making reference to Dan Aykroyd in the movie he played a Judge.
Anyhow sorry but this does not really excite me that much, plus if it were, how many solar systems would this guy of destroyed when he sliced the rat Brain up.
If anything I would say hey look similar,but hardly the same, Thank God.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   

The other is a simulated image of the universe. We don't know what the universe looks like, why? It would take us billions, or trillions of years to even have a small glimpse.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   
There are repeating patterns all over in nature, but that would be because of the laws of the universe which gave rise to everything. These laws don't apply on the sub-atomic scale, though. When you break into the realm of the subatomic there is no structure, no definable order, only "chaos." Somewhere in the universe there will always be a place where the defining structures of reality do not hold sway. Like when astronomers discovered galaxies that break the known laws of physics .

We may never know the true nature of the universe and everything all of us humans know is nothing more than a collection of all the stimuli our brains have reacted to. All of our thoughts and feelings are just as real and physical as my keyboard. This is real, but there is no way to prove it. It's difficult to explain a good direction is to read some works by Hakim Bey. Start with 'The Temporary Autonomous Zone, Ontological Anarchy, Poetic Terrorism.' I hope you won't be disappointed. This reality is confusing, and you should accept we will most likely never come close to finding any answers.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by constantwonder

Originally posted by followingpythagoras
reply to post by sputniksteve

It's not nitpicky - everyone has a right to think!

I totally get the point that even though that computer generated picture of our universe resembles the close up of the brain cell - it doesn't mean we're actually living in a huge brain cell of God's. But - to me it proves that we are living in something - if the patterns continue onward and upward, then they are making up something on a bigger scale - physically, right? I mean, why wouldn't they be?

Each thing in the universe adds to the sum total of the universe. But the apparent correlation between geometries of in this case dendrites compared to the large scale universe is not the result of the universe also being the same as the dendrite. It is the result of the laws of geometry that apply the same way at both scales.

Lets take this somewhere else. Lets say we take a tree it's geometry greatly resembles that of a dendrite in the brain. . . Not because the tree and the brain both function in the same way but because natures laws apply to both. The branching of vessels in the lungs resemble rivers, trees fractal coastlines and many other things aswell. Not because they function in the same manner but because they were built using the same set of rules.

That's the point I'm trying to make though - that all of these things we see were built using the same set of rules - so if everything is built using these rules - and we see these rules applied on a larger scale, then why can't it be possible the the universe, as a whole - is something physical? I'm not saying that things that look alike on different scales of reference necessarily behave alike - but we are definitely comparing physical forms.
I'm trying to say that I think that the part of our universe that we can see is making up something else - something with some form or function - brain cell or not. Why else would it be following the rules of form like that - if there was no reason for the form? Nature doesn't make things for no reason - why shouldn't that apply to our universe as well?

Anyway - great discussion!

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 08:09 PM
link   

That's amazing. I always thought the brain looks like a vast root system beneath the trees.

Awesome thread SnF

edit on 10/10/11 by ThePublicEnemyNo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sly1one
reply to post by Arbitrageur

. I tend to think this blue-print exists in our subconscious and we unknowingly replicate it in our creations.

If you could "map" the path of least resistance it would follow that blueprint.

edit on 10-10-2011 by Sly1one because: (no reason given)

True it may be subconscious, also going along the lines of the path of least resistance. As thinking beings capable of manipulating the universe we try to be efficient. The universe is very efficient and a great example. If any small number of things had occurred differently we would never have existed. But following the path of least resistance gave rise to us out of nonliving, nonthinking matter. And for that I thank the universe.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Ancient Chinese believe human and universe are one unity. There are Yin and Yang forces in that unity interact each other to prompt change (evolve). And this is also the fundamental theory of all Chinese medicines and culture. Seems we are finding scientific prove of this believing.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   
This is an awesome thread but a little freaky too.

Imagine everything we were ever warned about that could kill brain cells. What if each brain cell was it's own universe, crap my drinking days in the navy would have had to of killed thousands of brain cells.

Well I hope my universes in my head don't get technologically advanced enough to take revenge on me for mass genocide on an extreme scale.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 01:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jon Matthews
Nature is self-similar. It means that same shapes and forms repeat at different size scales. There's nothing strange or mystical in this. In my research, I deal with individual atoms that spontaneously arrange via self-assembly in various ways depending on the physicochemical properties of the system. I have nice scanning tunneling microscope images that show atomic arrangements that look exactly like air/satellite photos of the terraces of a vineyard.

This brings me to my second point. It would be silly to claim that since my atomic assemblies look like a vineyard, they're actually a vineyard at atomic scale. The geometry might be similar, but these two systems have nothing in common. In other words, even if the structure of the universe is similar to that of a system of brain cells, it doesn't mean that we're "living in a brain". The nature simply prefers certain shapes and forms, because they're energetically favorable.

I am not dismissing your argument, but the fact that the shape of the universe just happened to be the same as a braincell is too coincidental for me, I guess everyone has there amount of proof required, and this is mine. I will always listen to others, but the issue with this theory is that if true there is no way to definitvely proove it althought we will see hints. Many had already predicted we were in a brain of some type and I had thought this makes the most logical sense to me in my brain as an intelligent being and in my heart as a human that knows there is more to this world than meets the eye. I see too many coincidences everywhere, and this is the final one needed for me to believe there is more because

I often thought we are likely a thought of something else, a simulation or some form of virtual reality for a dimension that was well beyond us - this is most probable because we can create virtual worlds and because virtual worlds can create virtual worlds it is most likely we live in one of the simulations than the original. It makes logical sense that if we are the product of an advanced entity's simulation then we would likely be in something that resembled a brain.
The fact our universe resembels a brain cell - a brain cell of all things is a HUGE coincidence for me personally.

I guess I cant deny ignorance to it's full extent on this one because for the first time all the coincidence are telling my human side this is all the proof I ever asked for (which was a lot) - and I have been lucky enough to see it when I least expected it - I didnt believe it was possible.
This is the smoking gun for me - I don't believe a definitive answer anywhere near our grasp or ever will be (I believe it is impossible by nature) but if theories like the simulation and fractal universe were true this would be the biggest indicators.

edit on 11-10-2011 by byteshertz because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-10-2011 by byteshertz because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 02:25 AM
link   
reply to post by donothing

How have you come to that conclusion? That's a mighty leap of logic you've made there

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   
For me, as someone who I guess could be called a "spiritualist" simply because no one discipline defines me, and I've had all kinds of paranormal freaky # happen, this actually is a clue about transmission of energy. I'm a reiki level 2; others are witches, or shamans, or whatever. when you see that we really are an almost exact blueprint copy of the universe at large, it becomes clear that not only are we all connected, but we're all using similar pathways to connect to each other and the universe at large. we don't ever unplug, not even when we "die". energy is transmitted along these pathways; we reach each other this way. I mean, once you understand the full implication of this, doesn't racism, for instance, look ever sillier than it does already? there is no "us" vs. "them", there is only ALL of us, which presumably includes other civilizations elsewhere in the cosmos. on our level, it doesn't look that way, but, that's how it is.

Once again, the simplest thing has implications huge enough to change humanity, and our perception of our universe. If only we're open enough to see it.

edit on 11-10-2011 by dragonseeker because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   
I don't have much more to add other than I think the only real disagreement here is one of semantics. Either way I have enjoyed reading it and the topic is one I think about often. I hope to see more input from others, as any shard opinion could be a revelation to someone else.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Something similar...

Macro: Planets revolve around Sun.
Micro: Electrons revolve around Neutron.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   
I believe that there are good and evil forces out there, some like to tap into the dark areas and pass them off as good, others prefer to reach the religious explanation that God is love he is a person not mother nature, he is light that is so bright that the Angels can not see other Angels above them but because of this beauty some fell because of their arrogance, and these ones want to prove God wrong share their powers to those who appose him.

There are fractle similaries between atomic structure and the solar system with galazies doing the same thing. All God's work.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by The time lord

I am personally not convinced that "god" has anything to do with it. I am open to the idea though, as well as open to many other explanations. All I know is that I can't explain the way things are and am smart enough to know I don't know.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 12:31 AM
link   
I'm beginning to believe it's all god, even we are god. Being pagan and following my own path, Ive seen some UN-explainable stuff. Patterns are every where, electrical energy, illusion, cycles, math too, numbers... I see this post and was wondering if any one has ever felt like denying allot of stuff from the scientific community the past decade? IDK, it seems to me that ( some times) we are now reverse engineering everything, or just trying to make some belief come true that is not true, it's all beginning to sound like phewy. i.e. global warming, we are just in a natural cycle, sure we help, but to me I feel like saying duh because I look around and see changes in the solar system, increase in earthquakes, increase in volcano activity, weird solar activity... mother earth has to release pressure, that whats up, and all the inner heat generated to volcanoes and earthquakes and whatever energies hitting us from space is the main cause, I partly believe space is one huge microwave oven, hell no one talks or even reply to my emails when I ask about shifting our weight around the planet and what that does to the plates or what the extraction of resources does to the plates. We blame our selves and debate when the answer is all around us, and with-in us.
edit on 12-10-2011 by le843 because: adding more text

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 01:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by ArbitrageurAs said earlier in the thread, they aren't even pictures. The image showing the universe is a simulated image of what invisible (dark) matter might look like if it was visible.

Picture.

2 a: a description so vivid or graphic as to suggest a mental image or give an accurate idea of something

Source

p.s. I can be pedantic too.
edit on 12/10/11 by Indecent because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 04:34 AM
link   
Since the brain is half the subject, comparing similarities the other half, makes me think too - about how our brain is built. 5 fingers, 5 toes on each limb of what every mammal? 5 main parts to the brain, 3 parts are primitive and 2 are advanced; temporal lobe, frontal lobe, parietal lobe, occipital lobe, cerebellum... 5 petals on edible flowers, 5 planets in the *habitat zone* of our solar system, 5 elements - air, fire, earth, water, and spirit. * 3 elements are primitive, and 2 elements are advanced just like your brain*. Any time you go deep into spirituality hehe you find with - in yourself.... 5 people. Food for thought for any one who wishes to indulge. Dare to compare something, c'mon people, be it pictures of the universe, pictures of brain cells, this was a really good post ATS.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 05:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Indecent
p.s. I can be pedantic too.
You aren't very good at it. The definition you chose says accurate.

Dark matter is invisible.

In the image, it's visible.

Therefore, the representation of dark matter in the image isn't accurate.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 07:27 AM
link   
There was an interesting speaker who talked about how everything goes infinately outwards just as it goes infinately in. I cannot remember his name for the life of me, but I do have it saved somewhere. Ill have to dig that out and share it with you guys, because he has a very interesting life story, and lots of interesting science oddities he came up with that are all kind of packed into one presentation.

love the picture by the way. I still remain neutral on the subject until i read a little more on the subject

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join