It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Brain Cell is the Same as the Universe

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by JiggyPotamus
While this is neat, in my mind all this illustrates is that nature, as we already knew, forms patterns based on math...what we see here is no different than seeing phi or the golden ratio in nature. That doesn't mean it isn't extraordinary...It is. It's just that I don't think we are "living inside brain cells" or whatever was being discussed earlier in the thread.

Basically I mean this doesn't have any new implications for us.
Good comment. Nature does indeed create patterns, like these hexagonal pillars:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9c5d7358bad6.jpg[/atsimg]

But for a bee to look at those pillars and then think about its hexagonal honeycombs and say "as above, so below" doesn't make much sense, yet that seems to be what many of the posters in this thread are doing. It's not a case of "as above, so below". It's a result of two entirely different processes that happen to result in what some people seem to perceive as similar patterns.

In the case of the OP pic, the patterns aren't even as similar as the hexagon shapes are. In that case, I think it's actually more our brains creating the match, rather than the actual images. If you look at the images BigFatFurryTexan posted, the match doesn't look all that good to me, we are just letting our brains do what they do which sometimes has strange consequences.

I think most of us are displaying the human phenomenon on Apophenia, a term coined in 1958 to describe this phenomenon.

en.wikipedia.org...

The term was coined in 1958 by Klaus Conrad,[1] who defined it as the "unmotivated seeing of connections" accompanied by a "specific experience of an abnormal meaningfulness", but it has come to represent the human tendency to seek patterns in random nature in general, as with gambling, paranormal phenomena, religion, and even attempts at scientific observation.

Displaying Apophenia makes you a normal human. But what that's saying is that normal humans can be somewhat delusional, and this thread is an example of that, since there's plenty of Apophenia, or the assignment of "abnormal meaningfulness" going on in this thread. But that's ok, we're only human.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThatStrangeGuy
honestly they arent that similar. if you could over lap the 2 images and they were they exact same thatd be awesome but they arent.

Your alarm clock called........... It want's you to wake up.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 12:27 AM
link   
I bet this has been mentioned several times in this thread.. but I didnt want to read through it all.
Last I checked we weren't exactly capable of seeing the universe and models suggest it is donut shaped.

Couldn't this be more a representation of only the directions we are advanced enough to study? I don't know how to explain what I am saying. This image is based on so little information and again I've always read it was donut shaped.
edit on 10-10-2011 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 12:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by GogoVicMorrow
I bet this has been mentioned several times in this thread.. but I didnt want to read through it all.
Last I checked we weren't exactly capable of seeing the universe and models suggest it is donut shaped.

Couldn't this be more a representation of only the directions we are advanced enough to study? I don't know how to explain what I am saying. This image is based on so little information and again I've always read it was donut shaped.
When scientists talk about the shape of the universe, the shapes they talk about have a different meaning than what a layperson might think. These are the three shapes the universe might have:

en.wikipedia.org...
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c3f7a006afba.jpg[/atsimg]
Measurements show the universe is "flat" like the third shape, but there's a margin of error on the measurements and it may actually not be flat. Michio Kaku thinks it's like the first shape, spherical, but the curvature is so small we haven't been able to measure it yet. A donut isn't even an one of the three options, so I have no idea where you got that from.

Also, if you really want to understand where the images of the universe like the one in the OP come from, watch George Smoot explain it:

George Smoot: The design of the universe

That's a pretty good explanation, except he's so much smarter than the rest of us, he can only dumb it down so far. He goes into some detail about the "slices" of the visible universe that were used to create the model, and shows illustrations of those "slices" in perspective, so you're right, most of the universe isn't included in the model, just the parts we can and have observed in some detail.
edit on 10-10-2011 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 01:01 AM
link   
It all makes sense, check out 'Sacred Geometry' and the 'Flower of life'

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 01:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

Fun killer.

Seriously, your missing out if you can't let your imagination soar.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 01:04 AM
link   
I absolutely love the idea that there are billions upon billions of wee little people running around inside of my brain. That gives a whole new meaning to the phrase, "voices in my head." Apparently, every once in a while, one of them yells loud enough to make an influence.

Cheers,
Strype

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 01:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Helious

honestly they arent that similar. if you could over lap the 2 images and they were they exact same thatd be awesome but they arent.

Your alarm clock called........... It want's you to wake up.

What he said

Each brain cell is gonna look a bit different to another, and if there are more then one universe then i'd bet they would too.

What a cold dark and scary world you must live in.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 01:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Raivan31
Are you saying your imagination doesn't soar when you watch the George Smoot video I posted?

My imagination soars when I watch that. Why resort to fantasy to let my imagination soar when reality does the same?

That said, I enjoyed the movie "avatar" as much as the next person, but I know the difference between fantasy and reality.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 01:18 AM
link   

So because these two pictures aren't the "exact" same looking, it suddenly takes away any and all appreciation of them?

You're one very picky person you know...

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 01:21 AM
link   
Hmmm..

So does this mean, that if were are part of a larger whole, and that were are literally living in a braincell of a larger being, wouldn't that make us like cancer? with all of our destructive properties!?

pondering..!

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 01:24 AM
link   
Truly Amazing, I wonder how long it'll take before a believer speaks up and tries to denounce this as proof of god. That picture is really beautiful in my own opinion, we are making progress in our quest to find the meaning of life now

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 01:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Indecent
So because these two pictures aren't the "exact" same looking, it suddenly takes away any and all appreciation of them?

You're one very picky person you know...
As said earlier in the thread, they aren't even pictures. The image showing the universe is a simulated image of what invisible (dark) matter might look like if it was visible.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 01:55 AM
link   
Star and Flag for you eriathwen.

It seems that inner space is as infinite as outer space. It is great to see an awakening of others to these thoughts. I feel therein lies the answer to all things. As a child I questioned, if God exists then who/what created God. God it is said is the beginning and the end. My mind as a human being could not grasp the thought that something, anything has no beginning and no end. Later, as a teenager (the seventies) I saw a short animated film depicting a journey into inner space to the cellular level and then retreating into the outer reaches of space. This film got my mind working and I began to notice the parallels of the very small, say the depictions of the workings of an atom, to the very large, depictions of the circular motions of the planets and galaxies. As time meandered on ( I became older) the discoveries of quarks (very very small) and the theory of bubble universes (very very large) seemed to offer an answer to my question. Infinity inward and infinitely outward "Life Flows On Within And Without You" George Harrison. God is the beginning and the end. God is infinity. This changed my whole concept of God. I use the word God only as a name for descriptive purposes and not any religious connotation. I know not its name or religion. The freedom this has given me is tremendous.The everyday trials and tribulations of life,material wealth, expectations of others, hate and resentment,fear of death and the perplexing, never ending question of the meaning of my life all became much clearer and less important. All I really need in this life is to nourish my mind,body and soul. Everything else and I do mean everything, is a luxury and is to be enjoyed and not to be weighed down by. I grow spiritually from the tough times and get joy from the good times. Peace of mind is what is important to me and my treatment of other beings has a great influence on this peace. A great weight has been lifted from me with this realization and concept of God. These words are written only as food for thought and as a focal point for my own.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 02:00 AM
link   
1 of my favorite pictures, i actually have it on my facebook. since i saw it i've theorized that we are all a "god" if you will S&F

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 02:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by eriathwen
Hi all

I came across this picture today, witch I find pretty amazing, a real WOW factor

sprott.physics.wisc.edu...

"Physicists discover that the structure of a brain cell is the same as the entire universe."

The truth is really starting to reveal itself, do you really know who you are??

Love and light
Sat Nam

edit on 9/10/2011 by eriathwen because: Just a typing mistake

Your post caught my eye and brought a smile to my face; a rare thing these days. I will add a thought to your discovery; the Universe is the Brain of God.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 02:19 AM
link   
Is this evidence of a universal consciousness?

It brings to mind that old alchemist's saying:

As above, so below.
edit on 10-10-2011 by TheComte because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 02:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Raivan31
reply to post by Arbitrageur

Fun killer.

The truth can be far more curious than anything you can imagine. . . .

Anyway the bottom line is things obey mathematical laws at all levels so its not surprising to find similar patterns at different scales. . . .

Benoit Mandelbrot became fascinated with fractals and largely is responsible for bringing them to the public... The geometry he popularized can be used to describe a lot of natural structures. It's rough geometry something Euclid seemed to loath, but it works to describe things mathematicians wouldn't have thought of trying to tie down before.

This geometry just works and appears everywhere.

He also emphasized the use of fractals as realistic and useful models of many "rough" phenomena in the real world. Natural fractals include the shapes of mountains, coastlines and river basins; the structures of plants, blood vessels and lungs; the clustering of galaxies; and Brownian motion. Fractals are found in human pursuits, such as music, painting, architecture, and stock market prices. Mandelbrot believed that fractals, far from being unnatural, were in many ways more intuitive and natural than the artificially smooth objects of traditional Euclidean geometry:

Clouds are not spheres, mountains are not cones, coastlines are not circles, and bark is not smooth, nor does lightning travel in a straight line.
—Mandelbrot, in his introduction to The Fractal Geometry of Nature

So it's not really a shock to see this type of geometry at all scales. It's how nature does it. Nothing more or less. I think it is wonderfully fascinating without trying to assign additional correlations that just aren't implied by data.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 02:35 AM
link   
That makes me wonder if our neural network is an entire universe for other beings... and that our universe is the neural network of just ONE being on another planet in another universe.

I haven't the entire read thread so I don't know if anyone else has posted this idea
edit on 10-10-2011 by Nomad451 because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-10-2011 by Nomad451 because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-10-2011 by Nomad451 because: Bad spelling today

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 02:36 AM
link   
What do you think was used as a blueprint for a brain cell.

The cosmos holds alot of keys.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join