It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

how similar are neo-druids to the actual druids?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 08:14 PM
link   
I remeber watching a show in the UK called 'Hidden ' on the discovery channel. it was your basic show about Stonehenge. and thenit showed a man who has made paleolithic-esque monuments inhis backyard; and then he proceeded to show how sacred druidic raindance. and it got me doubting that contemporary druids are very similar to the ancient druids.

WE have very little detail about the druids, they wrote nothing down, and the main reason we know about them at all is because of the romans. When the romans came in they downplayed the peoples of britain, calling them barbarians and pagans, but Francis Pryor says other wise.

but neopaganism druidism (as it likes to be called) says that they are in touch with the ancient druids. and that they are the same thing. well they are not.

www.britainexpress.com...
www.britainexpress.com...

Druids. Another area where oral traditions were important was in the training of Druids. There has been a lot of nonsense written about Druids, but they were a curious lot; a sort of super-class of priests, political advisors, teachers, healers, and arbitrators. They had their own universities, where traditional knowledge was passed on by rote. They had the right to speak ahead of the king in council, and may have held more authority than the king. They acted as ambassadors in time of war, they composed verse and upheld the law. They were a sort of glue holding together Celtic culture.

the neopaganism druids say:
druidry.org...

All spiritualities grow and change - and Druidry has changed too - and now it is experiencing a Renaissance. Druidry has become a vital and dynamic Nature-based spirituality that is flourishing all over the world.

but this is all speculative, they claim to be doing as the ancients did. but they no very little, maybe nothing, of how the ancients worshiped.

so are the neo druids anythign like the ancient druids?
are the two similar?
is anyone out there a druid?
do we even know 100% what stonhenge was used for? (because the neo-druids claim to know exactly)

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by junior_smith

I myself am a druid, There are two types of druids nowadays in canada, Druids...And Neo-Druids, Neo-Druids are Pagans who study a more earthmother style relgion, or a Inter-Dimentional religion, Druids are people who study under 3 Old sciences, Bard: the study of music, Harmonics, Resonance, and how our minds and bodys and the actual phsysical world around us can change with sound. Ovate: the study of the dimentions and the Fae; (I myself am at ovate grade) we study the posibility of the other dimentions being acessed by harmonic and the resonance we learned as a bard, its when we start to study the posibility of difirent time line that run through ours, Such as trees being alive but just moving on a slower time line than us, to them we are like the things you catch out of the corner of your eye, and i have no dought that there are things out there that move that fast and on that time line that see us as trees and trees and the most strangest thing in the world. we also look at posibilitys of other being in ced dementions, (Eg. The Fae, The Second earth, Gaia's realm *Common miss conception; Gaia was the name of the mother of the druids the first druid and the one who probaly named this earth after her, (orginal name of earth = gaia posibly) And the last Rank Druid: You do not become a druid for a very long time, druids must study for years to become wise enough and intilectual enough to be a advisor or Consort to kings/queens due to there immense knowlage and the old people knew that they studied the people and the world to see how it reacts to each other and they could pull the best posible outcomes out of conflicts or events put before them.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by junior_smith

My belief on stonehenge is that it is a Dimentional Resonance Circle made to go to the fae realm, who is the one that emrys (Merlin one of the only recoreded Druids also due to Merlin being a title and Emrys being his name) studied first. also look at this story from listverse.

2. The Stonehenge Disappearance

The mysterious standing stones of Stonehenge in England was the site of an amazing disappearance in August, 1971. At this time Stonehenge was not yet protected from the public, and on this particular night, a group of “hippies” decided to pitch tents in the center of the circle and spend the night. They built a campfire, lit several joints of pot and sat around smoking and signing. Their campout was abruptly interrupted at about 2 a.m. by a severe thunder storm that quickly blew in over Salisbury Plain. Bright bolts of lightning crashed down on the area, striking area trees and even the standing stones themselves. Two witnesses, a farmer and a policeman, said that the stones of the ancient monument lit up with an eerie blue light that was so intense that they had to avert their eyes. They heard screams from the campers and the two witnesses rushed to the scene expecting to find injured – or even dead – campers. To their surprise, they found no one. All that remained within the circle of stones were several smoldering tent pegs and the drowned remains of a campfire. The hippies themselves were gone without a trace.

listverse.com...

join