It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Occupy Cincinnati

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Hello, all of you out there at ATS!

I'm visiting friends here in Cincinnati, & Occupy Cincinnati just started in Lytle Park as of 11AM yesterday. The local media here isn't reporting very much that's going on there, but this whole city is abuzz with police helicopters! Are any of you out there downtown demonstrating, & hopefully able to let everyone here know what is going on?

Last night, protesters moved from Lytle Park to the Fountain Square area downtown. They were supposed to leave by 1AM today, but spent the night anyway. No one was arrested for it- thank goodness! Folks are still there, but some are moving their activity to Garfield Park.

Kudos to Justin Jeffery of 98 Degrees, a one time mayoral candidate, & Tyrone Gibbons, who started & organised Occupy Cincinnati.

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Hi! I live in cincinnati! I was wondering if anyone else knew what was going on here! I haven't got a chance to go downtown yet, but my mom works downtown and said there were a lot of people yesterday. I don't have a car and I don't think my boyfriend would care to go but I want to!! Have fun! Represent the 99%!

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by NerdGoddess

Hello to you, too! Thanks for replying. Love the 60's art in your avatar. Be careful if you do find someone to go with you downtown- sometimes the police aren't very nice in Cincinnati. Thanks to you too for representing the 99%!

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   
I know! Tommy (the most recent cheif) Is my cousin but now he isn't the cheif anymore
LOL.
Have a wonderfull day thanks for posting about the event!

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by RomaMayLi

Well, hello again once more- since it doesn't seem like anyone in Cincinnati is willing to add more to this thread, let me wind it up for now by briefly updating what's going on for all who may be interested.

The city isn't willing for any permits for overnight stays to be issued to the protesters at all; so the protesters have had to move from one site to another. Presently they have been staying in Piatt Park. These parks are small; barely more than a strip along a sidewalk- some of them anyway. No arrests thus far; citations have been issued for parking violations by the local police. Relations between protesters & police have been civilised.

Occupy Cincinnati is small compared to what's going on in NYC- we have a few hundred people downtown. The weather so far has been unseasonably warm- in the 70s & 80s- which is great for those who are camping out of doors, but the temperatures will be dropping a good 20 degrees or more in a few days so it's anyone's guess how long this Occupation is going to last.

Thanks to everyone who read the thread, & for the stars & flags! I'll keep checking back for a while to see if anyone has had anything to add to it, but in the meantime anyone interested can find out plenty about Occupy Cincinnati at the city's local news station- www.wlwt.com.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by RomaMayLi

I'm some thousands of miles away, so I won't be there in person.

Good on ya, Cincinnati!

Represent the 99.9%.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Open_Minded Skeptic

Thanks so much! I'm so very glad that these protests are going on & that Cincy's is so peaceful, thus far. People need to be involved & need to be heard. If things don't get off to a peaceful start, people end up being really fed up & may begin rioting, as in England recently. Folks get to the point where they feel they have nothing less to lose.

I'm hearing here on ATS that the protests in NYC & California have begun to become violent; it worries me because I fear the US is heading for a meltdown similar to the UK's. What with so many out of work & so many people living in shanties in tent cities- some of them for years- something has to give soon.

top topics

join