It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are Mormons Christian?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 10:06 PM
link   
In my searching of Mormon.

One man wrote - something to the effect of: It is unfortunate that such a wonderful belief as the Mormon belief has been corrupted by man - - just as all other religious beliefs have been.

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by RRokkyy
reply to post by windword

Mormonism is the polygamous cult of Joseph Smith.
It adds nothing to the spiritual teachings of Jesus which
are ONLY contained in the 13? gospels.
It is not a part of the Teachings of Jesus and was produced
after them for the benefit of Smith by Smith.
Women and male children are treated poorly.

Polygamy came much later after Joseph Smith's original visions.

With so many men killed and the extent of persecution - - - polygamy almost became a necessity to provide every woman (in a time women did not hold jobs outside the home) a husband and every child a father.

One thing I did learn being Mormon was/is - - - non Mormons think they are experts on Mormonism.

edit on 9-10-2011 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

reply to post by windword

Mormonism is the polygamous cult of Joseph Smith.
It adds nothing to the spiritual teachings of Jesus which
are ONLY contained in the 13? gospels.
It is not a part of the Teachings of Jesus and was produced
after them for the benefit of Smith by Smith.
Women and male children are treated poorly.

Polygamy came much later after Joseph Smith's original visions.

With so many men killed and the extent of persecution - - - polygamy almost became a necessity to provide every woman (in a time women did not hold jobs outside the home) a husband and every child a father.

One thing I did learn being Mormon was/is - - - non Mormons think they are experts on Mormonism.

edit on 9-10-2011 by Annee because: (no reason given)

The Mormon doctrine of plural wives was officially announced by Orson Pratt and Brigham Young, Smith's successor, at a special conference at the Mormon Tabernacle on August 28, 1852, and reprinted in an extra edition of the Deseret News,[106] where Pratt stated: “ It is well known, however, to the congregation before me, that the Latter-day Saints have embraced the doctrine of a plurality of wives, as part of their religious faith. ... I think, if I am not mistaken, that the Constitution gives the privilege to all inhabitants of this country, of the free exercise of their religious notions, and the freedom of their faith, and the practice of it. Then if it can be proven ... that the Latter-day Saints have actually embraced, as a part and portion of their religion, the doctrine of a plurality of wives, it is constitutional. ... There will be many who will not hearken, there will be the foolish among the wise who will not receive the new and everlasting covenant [plural marriage] in its fullness, and they never will attain to their exaltation, they never will be counted worthy to hold the sceptre of power over a numerous progeny, that shall multiply themselves without end, like the sand upon the seashore.

Mormonism is equated with Polygamy. See above.
The evidence seems that Smith may have had 30 wives.
www.wivesofjosephsmith.org...

Monogamy has been a thorn in the side of TPTB, especially Christians for centuries.
I dont remember the early mountain men,gold rushers, settlers suffering from an over abundance
of women around them.

www.josephsmithspolygamy.com...

You may need some more deprogramming.

Eternal and Plural Marriage – Inseparably Connected Joseph Smith taught that by “keeping all the ordinances of the house of the Lord" including the ordinance of eternal marriage, a man or woman may be exalted.[7] Brigham Young emphasized that exaltation is a gift given only to heterosexual couples: “No man can be perfect without the woman, so no woman can be perfect without a man to lead her. I will tell you the truth as it is in the bosom of eternity, and I say so to every man upon the face of the earth – if he wishes to be saved, he cannot be saved without a woman by his side.”[8] Apostle George A. Smith also explained that “without the law of sealing, no man could be exalted to a throne in the celestial kingdom, that is, without he had a woman by his side; and that no woman could be exalted in the celestial world, without she was exalted with a man at her head; that the man is not without the woman, nor the woman without the man in the Lord...”[9] The Prophet taught that every exalted man has an eternally sealed wife and every exalted woman has an eternally sealed husband. Inherent in the doctrine of eternal marriage is the unavoidable inclusion of plural marriage.

Why? Because at the end of the world, after all men and women have been judged, the number of worthy men and women will not be exactly equal. If monogamy was the only acceptable form of eternal marriage, at the final judgment, unsealed and unmarried individuals who were worthy would "remain separately and singly, without exaltation" (D&C 132:17), through no fault of their own.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 12:01 AM
link   

The Mormon doctrine of plural wives was officially announced by Orson Pratt and Brigham Young,

Smith's Monogamy has been a thorn in the side of TPTB, especially Christians for centuries.

And why was polygamy a problem? It was against fundamental Christian belief.

This country was founded on freedom of religion - - - Not Christianity.

Joseph Smith did have multiple wives. Mormons can have "spiritual wives".

edit on 10-10-2011 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 12:15 AM
link   

I have no problem with polygamy.

If it is their religious belief - - - then denying that right is wrong under freedom of religion.

Joseph Smith was the spiritual leader. Some of the women who married him - - he never met.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Let me make this clear. I was a recent Mormon - - well 15 years ago. I left. Officially resigned (which takes some effort).

I admire greatly how they are organized. In my 60 year god search - - - I find the Mormons to be the best of any of my religious experiences.

I don't need any deprogramming. And you don't need to be so damn rude.

How accurate the claims of the website you posted - - I don't have a clue.

There is so much misinformation - - - its hard to know what is accurate.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 12:39 AM
link   
To temper this discussion a bit, let me remind all of you that not everyone who is a Christian is a Christian, and I just hope that statement does not need further explanation. BTW, it's "RLDS" not "FLDS" in case no one has yet made the correction, and the RLDS recently changed its name to "The Community of Christ." I grew up near Independence, Missouri [folks today call it "Methdependence"], so I am aware that the RLDS members consider themselves to be Christians. I'm not sure if they consider Mormons to be.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 07:18 AM
link   
reply to post by RRokkyy

Finally someone who knows something.

Annee, give what a rest? I think any belief in "god" or whatever term you use to describe it is bull crap.

I don't care about your husband and his alleged photographic memory. I LIVE in Utah, I have LIVED here my whole life. I grew up in and around the church and on top of that I have had an ongoing interest in the LDS church and it's twisted doctrines. Is your husband more credible? You're telling me to give what a rest now? I have given only fact here, fact that your husband should EASILY recall with his "photographic memory" had he actually learned the true doctrine of the church.

The church hasn't changed. It's been this way forever. Prop 8 isn't the first time the LDS Church has used it's numbers to sway legislation, and it won't be the last. The LDS Church isn't all of a sudden "changing." It's doing the same thing it's done since it's inception.

I have over 30 years of experience, DIRECT experience, with the church. Don't try and tell me I don't know what I'm talking about. Why don't you ask your in-laws? They're obviously super-mormons, they should be able to educate you here.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 07:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Lazarus Short

No. We are SPECIFICALLY talking about the FLDS Church and the Mormons. The RLDS is a DIFFERENT sect.

Gah.

en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 10-10-2011 by TinkerHaus because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by TinkerHaus
reply to post by Lazarus Short

No. We are SPECIFICALLY talking about the FLDS Church and the Mormons. The RLDS is a DIFFERENT sect.

Gah.

en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 10-10-2011 by TinkerHaus because: (no reason given)

My bad - I thought it was a typo.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Just as related information, Joseph Smith may have taken up to 30 wives as Rrocky said, but if memory serves me correctly he has 13 of his wives listed on his tombstone in the SLC cemetery. I believe he officially only had 13.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   

I think any belief in "god" or whatever term you use to describe it is bull crap.

I'm Atheist - by the way. (I was a newlywed and went because of my husband - - who is now more agnostic). I did read and research a lot to have some understanding.

I don't really care what the Mormon history and doctrine is. It is still difficult to know what history on them is accurate and factual.

No religion IMO - - has any room to talk as if their beginnings and history is pristine. I think they're all a scam.

I have no problem with polygamy as long it is between consensual adults - - - and think the government under religious freedom was wrong in denying them that right.

I am not the one who said the religion was corrupted by man. That was someone on TV in an interview. Can't remember who or what the show was about.

I still enjoyed my time with Mormons - - because of the people they are - - and how they are organized. Of course my ward was in a Southern California beach town - - not Utah.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Just as related information, Joseph Smith may have taken up to 30 wives as Rrocky said, but if memory serves me correctly he has 13 of his wives listed on his tombstone in the SLC cemetery. I believe he officially only had 13.

There you go. All I'm saying is its hard to know what is actual fact in the history of Mormons.

I'm not really trying to say its wrong - - - only that there is so much misinformation - - - real facts are elusive.

Just because one website seems to have real legitimate facts - - - does not mean they are.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

The Mormon doctrine of plural wives was officially announced by Orson Pratt and Brigham Young,

Smith's Monogamy has been a thorn in the side of TPTB, especially Christians for centuries.

And why was polygamy a problem? It was against fundamental Christian belief.

This country was founded on freedom of religion - - - Not Christianity.

Joseph Smith did have multiple wives. Mormons can have "spiritual wives".

A True Religion is based on the concepts of:
1. Love thy neighbor
2. Love God, or practice some degree of selflessness.
Jesus created the Religion of the Sacrifice of the Heart. Most
Christians (and others) are not capable of much sacrifice.

A CULT IS BASED ON CONTROL,POWER,GREED,LUST AND TERRORISM.
Cults are formed by smart charismatic narcissists seeking power and control over
others.

Mormonism is a Lust Cult and should in no way be viewed as a religion, nor
should it be considered a branch of Christianity.

This distinction is very very very important because there is a Death Cult
that seeks world domination and the destruction of your way of life.

edit on 10-10-2011 by RRokkyy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   

A True Religion is based on the concepts of:
1. Love thy neighbor
2. Love God, or practice some degree of selflessness.
Jesus created the Religion of the Sacrifice of the Heart. Most
Christians (and others) are not capable of much sacrifice.

A CULT IS BASED ON CONTROL,POWER,GREED,LUST AND TERRORISM.
Cults are formed by smart charismatic narcissists seeking power and control over
others.

Mormonism is a Lust Cult and should in no way be viewed as a religion, nor
should it be considered a branch of Christianity.

This distinction is very very very important because there is a Death Cult
that seeks world domination and the destruction of your way of life.

Uh huh. I'm going to trust someone with your attitude toward Mormons to present a fair unbiased opinion - - - even "supposed" fact - - - from a website you agree with.

Not hardly.

You should have stopped when you were "some what" ahead.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join