It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are Mormons Christian?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Mitt Romney's Mormonism: Pastors Say Mormons Not Christians, But Defend Candidate Against Attacks

Mormons are moving to the forefront of debate for a number of reasons, but foremost because Mitt Romney and John Huntsman are both Mormons, and running for President.

I grew up in a Pentecostal Church, and remember the folks slurring Catholics and even some Protestants. Pretty much everyone "else" was going to hell. This quote by Myke Crowder is much the way I remember it:

"I've been around long enough to remember when independent Baptists wouldn't pray with Southern Baptists, when fundamentalists called Southern Baptists compromisers and liberals, when Southern Baptists wouldn't keep company with Pentecostals and when Pentecostals wouldn't keep company with Catholics.

Ed Stetzer, president of the Southern Baptist-affiliated organization says:

"The view that Mormons are not Christians is the widely and strongly held view among Protestant pastors. That does not mean they do not respect Mormons as persons, share their values on family and have much in common. Yet, they simply view Mormonism as a distinct religion outside of basic teachings of Christianity. Many of these pastors may know Mormons who consider themselves Christians, but Protestant pastors overwhelmingly do not consider them such," said Stetzer. "I know this is an unpleasant question to many, and one that some will use as a hammer on evangelicals."

Mormons do not believe in the traditional Christian Trinity of God as the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. They also have scripture in addition the Bible, such as the Book of Mormon, and believe in prophets such as Joseph Smith, Jr., who founded the Latter Day Saint movement.

Really? What DO Mormons believe?

Dear Elder

Mormons believe God is our Heavenly Father, Jesus Christ is His Son, and the Holy Ghost is a spirit sent by God to teach truth, inspire, and comfort. Each of these is a separate, individual being. God is perfect, benevolent, all-knowing, and all-powerful. God has a divine, immortal body of flesh and bone. We are all the children of God, so He desires for us to become like Him and gain all that He has (Romans 8:17)

Mormons believe that Jesus Christ is the literal Son of God. He was ordained to be the Savior of all mankind before the world was created. He was born of Mary as the New Testament tells and fulfilled the prophecies of the coming Messiah. He lived a sinless life and through His suffering and crucifixion, atoned for the sins of all. Three days after His death Jesus was resurrected and ascended to heaven. He now possesses a divine, mortal body like God the Father’s. As Savior, Jesus will act as Advocate to The Father on Judgment Day and extend mercy to those who have faith in Him and have followed His example. Mormons worship Jesus as Lord and Savior.

Not so complicated. Sounds Christain to me. Why are Christains distancing themselves from Mormons? Is it because of allegations of child abuse and concerns about polygamy, or is because of secret ceremonies held behind closed doors. What's the deal with the "secret underwear?" Does Mitt Romney wear boxers, briefs or "secret underwear?"

Top 10 Most Bizarre Mormon Beliefs

Are these concerns valid and has the Mormon Church of Latterday Saints evolved to meet society's moral values by reversing it's polygamous requirements

Are TV shows like "Sister Wives" and "Big Love" which depict polygamous relationships, helping or hurting the reputation of the church?
Is 'Sister Wives' Hiding The Disturbing Truth About Polygamy?

For more than seven years, as a private investigator I have been investigating and researching similar polygamous societies, but mainly the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (FLDS) and its outlaw prophet, Warren Jeffs, who is now serving a sentence of life plus twenty years in a Texas prison. With respect to the polygamous cultures that I have been dealing with over the years, that type of unschooled and reckless terminology makes me recoil. I can only hope and pray that the depravity of child abuse and the degradation of women and children to the status of chattel will never be thought of in such a callous manner as simply- unconventional yet relatable.

Dispite the controversial practices of The Church Of Latterday Saints, are Mormons Christian? I disagree with many so called Christians like the Westboro Babtist Church, but who is the authority fo determine what church is and is not Christian, if the followers of said church believe it to be Christianity?

How would having a Mormon in the Office of the President be detrimental to Christian doctrine and how would it impact the running of the country?
edit on 9-10-2011 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   
First and foremost, the FLDS and LDS churches are two separate things.

I'm not mormon, and I believe the bulk of their beliefs are utter nonsense pulled out of thin air by a con man (Joseph Smith.) But you have to get your facts straight before you go and misinform a bunch of people who will take your word for it rather than finding out the truth on their own.

I had this very conversation with a friend. I believe that Mormons are not Christians because they believe in some crazy stuff, like eventually becoming a god and having their own planet full of humans that adore them.

The "special underwear" are "garments" and yes, EVERY true Mormon wears them. I've heard stories about garments saving people from burns, from bullets, etc. Of course I think it's all crap. Interestingly enough, I personally know someone who served their mission in Ireland. They were mugged, and their attacker attempted to stab them in the chest. The blade hit my friend's scriptures that he kept in his breast pocked and did not pierce his skin. Despite this, the week he came back from his mission he showed up at my house with a bottle of Jagermeister and an unwholesome female.

Polygamy is no longer practiced by the LDS church, and has not been for many, many years. The FLDS branch broke off because they still wanted to practice polygamy. Mitt Romney, while I hate defending him because I hate the dude (reminds me of a lot of mormons, they are business people and often bigots who sugarcoat all they say with their religion) he is not FLDS, so I'm not sure how polygamy has anything to do with him.
edit on 9-10-2011 by TinkerHaus because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Mormons believe in A Christ, if he is the Christ of the bible is debatable. So yes they can be called Christians because they believe in A Christ just not the one described in the Christian Bible.

Mormons never have an answer for this.

Galatians 1:8 But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach a gospel other than the one we preached to you, let him be eternally condemned!

So yes an Angel could of given Smith magic golden tablets... but if an angel did, see above verse from the bible the Mormons claim to use as well as their book.

edit on 9-10-2011 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by TinkerHaus

I confess that I am ignorant of the Mormon culture, and only know what I have recently read about Mitt Romney not being a Christian. My view is that of an outsider, for sure.

I don't know what FLDS is, fundamental? It is not my intention to present false facts about the Mormons, but rather to bring this to an open discussion, without bashing anybody.Please correct me if I have presented any false ideology.

On "Sister Wives" the TV show depicting a polygamous family, Cody, the family father says that he is of the Church of Latterday Saints, so clearly some do still practice polygamy. I think many people still do equate Mormons with polygamy, whether rightly or wrongly.

I don't think Mitt Romney ever condoned polygamy, but I wonder why he is considered not a Christian. What doctrine of faith seperates him from Christianity?

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by windword

Should explain some of the mormon doctrines.

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by TinkerHaus
I'm not mormon, and I believe the bulk of their beliefs are utter nonsense pulled out of thin air by a con man (Joseph Smith.) But you have to get your facts straight before you go and misinform a bunch of people who will take your word for it rather than finding out the truth on their own

YES - - - they are Christian. Even though some of them feel insulted if you call them Christian.

Getting facts on Mormonism and the real history of Mormonism - - - is not easy.

There is so much incorrect misinformation "out there" - - - its very difficult to even know what is real fact or not.

My husband's family is Mormon. We tried it for a few years in our early married years. Because I came into it with zero knowledge - - - I did a lot of reading and research. Seriously - - I had to research the research - - - and research the person presenting the information. Then follow links and trails.

Real Facts on Mormonism is an absolute maze of a mess.

We stopped going for various reasons - - - and Officially resigned membership because of their involvement in Prop 8.

I still admire their way of organizing and support how they "Walk the Talk". They don't just talk about their belief - - they live it 24/7. They take care of their own - - - and charity work is one of their main beliefs - - - which they do quietly - - - as God's will - - - without much recognition.

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Yes, we are Christians. We believe that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is the true church of God on the earth and is led by a living prophet. We believe that God is literally our Heavenly Father and his son Jesus Christ is our Savior.

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   

To be a Christian means to be 'in' the name of Christ. Jesus was asked about eternal life by an expert in the law in Luke 10. The answer was to love God and love your neighbor as yourself. Jesus further defines a neighbor as those you love, but also your enemies. The story of the good Samaritan is in this chapter of Luke. Anyone who lives a Christlike life of love for God and others is 'in' the name (character) of Christ. The name of a person is their character. To take the Lord's name in vain is to take on the character but not the actions that reflect the name. To know a Mormon or any other believer, we simply look for the love of God within the person's actions and words as reflected by the name of Christ. A particular religion does not make a person a Christian. This would be works leading to salvation. Faith leads to salvation. Faith is in God. Faith through Christ is faith to God through the character of Jesus. Faith without works is dead. Works without faith in God are empty and meaningless since God is one of the others we should love.

The Mormons are esoteric in their beliefs. The Catholics are exoteric in their beliefs. Jesus said the path is the narrow way between from a heart of love for others.

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Mormans are Christians. They are in no way affiliated with those who who practice polygamy. One fundamental belief of Mormans is to obey the laws of the land and when polygamy became illegal the practice discontinued. Mormans are very generous people and you will find the church takes care of their own. I know of one lady who's husband died, they paid her tuition and expenses for college to persue a nursing degree--in addition, paying all her bills and for what ever the children needed until she could take care of her family. They did not live a poorer lifestyle either. Mormons don't give hand outs---they give a hand up.

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Mormons are a sect of christianity...

Any organized religion that claims to follow Jesus is Christian... like it or not.

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   
I disagree that Mormons are Christians.

Just because Christ is a figure in their mythology doesn't mean they are Christians.

For one, they believe that they will eventually become gods. I'm no bible scholar, but doesn't this go completely against all other Christian faiths?

FLDS consider themselves Mormons. When someone on TV who practices polygamy claims to be LDS, you have to ask which sect?

I live in Utah, I've had a lot of exposure to the religion and it's followers. Some of my best friends are return missionaries. My wife's sister returned from her mission last Wednesday. There are good and bad Mormons. To say that all of them practice what they preach 24/7 is false. Some of the most racist, hate-filled people I know are older Mormons.

There are still towns in Utah where polygamy is the norm. Sometimes you'll see a man and his 7 wives in the strangest of places - like getting a burger at a local fast food joint - all the wives in really old style floral dresses. Officially the LDS Church is against polygamy - thus the separation of the FLDS church.

My mom's side of the family is Mormon, my dad's side is Catholic. My family didn't frequent either church but we attended services at both for family events. Mormons use their own symbols and rites/rituals, they do not use the crucifix for anything, you'll never see it around a neck or in a church. They have broken away from traditional Christianity and while some themes remain the same I think their belief that Moses lives in the Pleiades and that God lives on some planet somewhere and that they will all have a chance to become a god and create their own planet full of followers makes them distinctly "something else."

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by TinkerHaus

Chris·tian (krschn)
adj.
1. Professing belief in Jesus as Christ or following the religion based on the life and teachings of Jesus.
2. Relating to or derived from Jesus or Jesus's teachings.
3. Manifesting the qualities or spirit of Jesus; Christlike.
4. Relating to or characteristic of Christianity or its adherents.
5. Showing a loving concern for others; humane.
n.
1. One who professes belief in Jesus as Christ or follows the religion based on the life and teachings of Jesus.
2. One who lives according to the teachings of Jesus.

They are christian... they might not follow other Christian beliefs but none the less... Christian they are...

JW's are also christian... Neat eh

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by grumpydaysleeper
Mormans are Christians. They are in no way affiliated with those who who practice polygamy.

Not completely true. Although "official" Mormons are not associated with the FLDS - - or I think Reformed Mormons. Joseph Smith's first wife - - - broke from the "official" Mormons - - and a different sect evolved. There are Mormons of the "official" Mormons who practice polygamy. The church did denounce it in order to become a state. But - - do turn a blind eye.

If this country was founded on religious freedom - - - what right does the government have to make polygamy illegal - - - when it is part of a religious belief?

NONE

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Some of the most racist, hate-filled people I know are older Mormons.

Oh -- like that doesn't apply to many older people - - no matter what they believe.

Mormons use their own symbols and rites/rituals, they do not use the crucifix for anything, you'll never see it around a neck or in a church.

And why should they?

Like Catholics don't use their own symbols and rites/rituals.

Mormons don't use a cross because it represents death. They believe in a Living God. Jesus resurrected.

They use the terminology CTR - - you'll see pins and rings that say CTR. It means "Choose the Right". Choose the right path to Jesus.
edit on 9-10-2011 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   

I think their belief that Moses lives in the Pleiades and that God lives on some planet somewhere and that they will all have a chance to become a god and create their own planet full of followers makes them distinctly "something else."

Is this interpretation?

Not that I have any problem that humans were created by a more advanced race of humanoids.

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

I said Moses but meant Moroni.

No, it's not interpretation. I am a baptized Mormon (not-practicing for many, many years). This is according to LDS doctrine. I'm surprised often by Mormons that don't even know the fundamental beliefs of the religion they claim is the true religion. You should watch the cartoon someone posted early in this thread. It's an LDS production, so you can garner some knowledge straight from the holy horse's mouth.

Mormons also believe that we are the literal spiritual children of God, and therefor we are the same species as God. According to Mormons we have the potential to be gods in our own right.

And my comment about older Mormons being bigots in many cases was not to separate them from any other group, but in response to someone's earlier and very generalized comment about how Mormons are really stand up people who "practice what they preach 24/7."

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   

reply to post by Annee

I said Moses but meant Moroni.

No, it's not interpretation. I am a baptized Mormon (not-practicing for many, many years). This is according to LDS doctrine. I'm surprised often by Mormons that don't even know the fundamental beliefs of the religion they claim is the true religion.

Oh give it a rest.

There are 3500+ different Christian sects - - - all arguing which one is he true Christian.

My husband was raised Mormon from birth - - and has a photographic memory. He knows the belief inside and out. I've had a great teacher besides my own studies of its history.

However - - - as other Christian beliefs - - - the effect of MAN is obvious.

The "church" has changed with new leadership - - - and seems more interested in becoming main stream and a political power force - - - in conjunction with fundamentalists.

So yeah - - - its become "follow the MAN leader" - - - as mindless sheep.

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Mormons also believe that we are the literal spiritual children of God, and therefor we are the same species as God. According to Mormons we have the potential to be gods in our own right.

I have no problem with this at all.

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Funny, even though I was raised in a Pentecostal environment, my mom used to tell me that in heaven we would all get a star and have planets of our own. She used the "in my father's house are many mansions" quote.

I suspect that it is true that we have the ability to evolve to a higher state and oversome the natural obstacles that bar us from immortality. I tend to take the idea of "God being one of us" more seriously than not.

That video cartoon reminds me a little bit of Scientology, that espouses that we are all imprisoned here on Earth by evil thetans, and held here by the moon.
edit on 9-10-2011 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Mormonism is the polygamous cult of Joseph Smith.
It adds nothing to the spiritual teachings of Jesus which
are ONLY contained in the 13? gospels.
It is not a part of the Teachings of Jesus and was produced
after them for the benefit of Smith by Smith.
Women and male children are treated poorly.
Mormons are no more Christians, than
Christians are Jews.
But who will follow Smithian polygamists?
edit on 9-10-2011 by RRokkyy because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join