It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could this have been the planned Space Shuttle replacement all along?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 05:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by ANNED
I don't believe it ever going to be manned.

I believe its going to be used as a unmanned intelligence platform for the military and/or the NSA/NRO

They will be used for 1 to 2 years missions and returned for reuse/upgrade then flown again.

Over the years as the US put up intelligence satellites some countries have changed the frequencies they use for there military and other uses.
This has left gaps in the ability of the US to lesson in till they put up other satellites to cover those radio bands.

There are a lot of old spy satellites up there and using a reusable one would be a advantage in the long run as space gets crowded.

I think I'm going to have to disagree. If the purpose for the X37 series craft is clandestine military application, they will need a version that is personnel capable. Think about it. Whats more stealthy for taking out an enemy's satellite, knocking it out of orbit with an explosive or KKD, or sneaking up on it and opening up an access panel and removing a fuse?

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 05:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Maslo

Yes, but this is from the public sector. I was talking about a NASA/Governmental replacement.

Dont get me wrong, I'm ecstatic for the civilian space industry cause I really do think that is where the future of non-weaponized space travel will be from.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 09:09 AM
link   
I read somewhere that the X-37 program was developed around the concept of extreme miniaturization, mini cameras, mini sensors, and to also launch mini satellites, like the size of basketballs from it's pick-up truck bed sized payload bay, as well as itself being equipped with miniaturized instruments. Being secret and all we don't know, but the idea seems more plausible than Skunk Works antigravity spacecrafts does, or black HAARP death beams they can direct anywhere in the world, or Hitler escaped and is living on Mars stories.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   
In my opinion the ultimate goal should be to build a craft in orbit that can sustain man efficiently while exploring and visiting planets, moons and asteroids in our solar system without having to contantly return to earth. Instead it would be resuplied in route to what ever its destination is. Better yet it's supplies would be waiting for it once it enters orbit.

This craft should be modularized so each part of it can be removed and upgraded over time. The main frame and structure should be designed to stay in spave while engine, crew, payoad modules can be sent up cheaply in time to upgrade, add on or replace outdate modules. The main frame and structure would never change unless there is a huge leap in technology dictating the need to replace it.

These smaller craft will be much cheaper than the shuttle to launch and build the modules in the future.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Xeven

I'd like to believe that is where we are headed about 100 or so years into the future. We already have a proof of concept of orbital modular platforms in the ISS.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join