It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Happy Thanksgiving!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Yes, it's Thanksgiving (in Canada).

We should give thanks daily, but this is the one day a year we put aside for this. We do it over a month ahead of the Americans. Know one has ever told me why.

Turkey is on, the weather is great, and there is a hockey and football game I plan on watching. I hope you are all having a great day as well. I hope I can hold off on the pumpkin pie, I wouldn't want to ruin my supper.

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

Happy Thanksgiving to you!!

And here is your answer:

Canadas Thanksgiving is based on a bountiful harvest and not on the Pilgrims and the New World like the Unites States holiday. The reason it occurs earlier than the US Thanksgiving is that Canada is north of the United States and because of this the harvest season occurs earlier during the year. So, it only makes sense for Canada to celebrate its fall harvest during their fall and harvest time!

And for us in the USofA who were unaware:

Amazingly, the first Canadian Thanksgiving goes back even further than the United States. Back in 1578 an English explorer named Martin Frobisher was trying to find a northern route to the Orient. He was not successful in his quest, but he did end up establishing a settlement somewhere along what is Newfoundland today. Despite not making it to the Orient Frobisher was thankful the journey had been safe and decided to have a day of thanks. This resulted in the first Canadian Thanksgiving.

During this same time frame many French settlers were making their way to the area and also began having days of thanks during the harvest time. They, like the American Pilgrims, invited local Indians to take part in their feast.

This is how the Canadian Thanksgiving started and why they dont celebrate on the same day as the United States. This is a nice little piece of information to take with you so you know why our northern neighbors celebrate on a different date and also the reason why they celebrate!

edit on 9-10-2011 by CeeRZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Happy Thanksgiving..

Learn something new everyday.

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by CeeRZ

Thank you very much for the explanation. I never bothered to actually look into it. I remember the reason for the American one. I spent 5 years in the USA during my elementary years and I remember the story about the pilgrims and Indians.

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Thanx for the holiday wishes,many in return!

I'm curious,what was the cost of the turkey?I'm trying to be frugal on my food costs.A cooked and stripped bird would seem to supply a good amount of sustenance......at the right price.

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   

I was actually just as curious. Two of the doctors I work with were from Canada, and we always celebrate the Canadian and American Thanksgiving each year

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by dezertdog

My pleasure!

This year we went for the Butterball name brand. A ten pound turkey cost $12. Sometimes we save a few dollars and get a "utility" bird that is reduced in price. Usually because it may be missing a limb or a patch of skin. They cook and taste the same as a regular bird so you save some money without sacrificing on quality.
edit on 9-10-2011 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-10-2011 by Corruption Exposed because: iPhone typos

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Sweet!12 bucks is good!I'll be sure to ask about the utility angle.Thank you for the info.

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Happy Thanksgiving from accross the Ottawa river. Cheers !!!!

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 01:42 AM
link   

Yah!?
Turkey Day in Canada?!
I didn't realize!

Savory Splendorous Salutations!!!!
Tremendous Thanks!!!

Happy Canadian Thanksgiving Day!

oxoxox, rs

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 06:14 AM
link   
Coincides with our harvest festivals over here.

Have a good one and enjoy that turkey you lucky thing. Turkeys over in England cost a fortune.

top topics

join