It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you have any old Army bayonets or machetes ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   
I recently attended a gun/knife show here in Texas, and happened upon a booth selling old WWI and WWII era bayonets and machetes. I happen to have in my possession a 1917 Bayonet, and a 1945 Machete that I inherited from my Grandpappy. And while I thought these were generally worthless items other than sentimental value,I was very surprised to find the prices for each started at approx. $150.00. Apparently, these type of items have increased in value over the last few years.
My other Grandpa who is still kicking, brought back some nice items from Nazi Germany after serving in WWII.
2 German Officer Daggers (Very nice) and a old Broom-Handle Mauser pistol. Anyone know what items like that may be going for. I've had my eye on those gems since I was a kid

Noro

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Noromyxo

My grandfather had a beautiful German 98K Mauser bayonet that he brought home from his tour of duty during WW2. It is in great condition and still has the bluing on it. My father has it now.

I love bayonets. I do not own any myself as I am pretty strict with myself when it comes to buying that sort of thing. But here is my all time favorite...

I also like civil war bayonets.

Dude, if they are authentic officer's daggers from Nazi Germany you are going to have to scoop your jaw up off the floor when you see how much they are worth. Not to mention the Mauser. Oddly the Mauser is going to usually be worth less than the daggers. Depends on the condition. I don't suppose you could photograph those daggers?
edit on 9-10-2011 by Frater210 because: ?

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   

One of my bayonets on a GEW 98

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   

I collect ww2 German and US insignia. Most German items are fake 95%. If you Grand pappy brought it back yours is more then likely real. I have heard many a story just like yours were they did end of being fake.

A good place to find out is Wehrmacht awards. Many people that right the books hang out there you can post it and find out if it is real and how much it is worth.
edit on 9-10-2011 by Subjective Truth because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-10-2011 by Subjective Truth because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by oldshooter1979

Thats an unmilitarized WWI sawback. it IS worth a couple hundred bucks.

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Frater210

A clean and original M98 bayonet gets about 150 bucks, maybe a bit more to the right person. remember, there's hundreds of thousands of them.

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by scooterstrats

I have Bayonets for all in my collection. Masuers, Enfields, Mosin, and Springfields. Just like the looks with the bayonet on them

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   
My grandfather has an old WW2 USMC knife, but it is in bad shape. He had brought over different German guns and knives as well,after the war was over.... it was one of the benefits of being an Officer for the US Army.

But after he had kids, his wife ( My Grandma) made him get rid of all the guns.But as I said, he kept one knife. A USMC knife. Just like this one.

www.usmilitariaforum.com...

Only he used it for yard work, opening bags of fertilizer and such..... so now days, the blade is very rusted and the handle has pretty much fallen apart. All that is left of the handle is thin metal post.

So, I am sure his is just about worthless.
edit on 9-10-2011 by gimme_some_truth because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by gimme_some_truthWorthless to a collector maybe, but not to you! It was your grandfather's and he used it so its worth keeping regardless of condition !

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   

the old Broom-handle your talking about is known as a Mauser C96
Current list of Mauser C96 auctions

the one I wish I had the money to bid on is this... current bid $4500

Description for Item # 254268821
Subaltern Winston Churchill used one of these 9/2/1898 at Omdurman when he rode with the 21st Lancers in the last cavalry charge of British arms, during the Mahdi 'war' in the Sudan. He wrote later the new Mauser autoloader accounted for several 'fuzzywuzzies' among the 11,000 tribesmen facing them. This was the first truly successful autoloading pistol, and a marvel of German engineering. The only screw in the gun holds the grips on! Accurate, and the hottest pistol round on the market, the 7.63 mm (.30) Mauser sold more than 1 million examples in the next 30 years, many of them in China, and caused lookalikes there and in Spain. The Russians copied the cartridge for their Tokarev sidearm. This example likely served in WWI. In WWII it was taken from a German officer on Omaha Beach in Normandy by a beachmaster and brought to MO. I worked with that man and when he died, bought several weapons from his widow. I've now owned this Mauser since 1960 and doubt I've put 10 rds through it. It really should be in a museum! Everything matches -- the parts of the weapon, the holster/stock iron... The stamped 1917 leatherwork includes not only the cleaning jag but a spare magazine spring. Condition? At least 95% on wood & metal, in and out; 70% on the leather. I truly hate to offer this pistol for sale, and would not if I could afford to keep it for another 20 years or so... Questions? Ask. Frankly, I almost hope it doesn't sell!

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by GrandpaDave

Nice weapon, I have seen them in full auto-mode. Is this one full or just semi? I am also a fan of the Luger, they too are somewhat costly these days..

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by oldshooter1979
reply to post by GrandpaDave

Nice weapon, I have seen them in full auto-mode. Is this one full or just semi? I am also a fan of the Luger, they too are somewhat costly these days..

this one would be Semi....
odd fact... when I was younger... the buttstock...that doubles as stock and holster...
we illegal to own... so complete versions are all the rarer to find...

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   
[

this one would be Semi....
odd fact... when I was younger... the buttstock...that doubles as stock and holster...
we illegal to own... so complete versions are all the rarer to find...

Yea, funny how they keep changing what is legal and what is illegal. I remember when I was about 16, you could not buy pistol ammo but could rifle. So walk up to a counter ask for .22 ammo they would say rifle or handgun. If I said handgun, they could not sell it to me. If I said rifle, then it was ok. Should have said shotgun,

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   
That ought to tell you something, guys. Stockpile primers for reloading and .22lr ammo, the price is not going down and bulk buys save you a lot of money. You can pull the powder out of shotshells and reload handgun ammo (and some rifle calibers) with it, after some experimenting, that is. Some wheelweight lead will let you cast handgun bullets, and "pulled" or blemished .223 fmj bullets can be had pretty cheaply, at times, like 7c each or a bit less.

top topics

join