It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Grandpa’s Survival Shack… Restoring A Rusty Old Knife.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 07:31 PM
link   
It is either an older Western Bowie or possibly a copy of one from Pakistan.. They were kind of popular in Vietnam. I remember that some of the REMFs had and wore them when they had to man the lines or pose for pictures.. It was a bit too heavy for a grunt or anyone assigned to a grunt company to carry.

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by GrandpaDave

Now that's a knife!

Again DB great post. I got to remember the linseed oil for wood trick.

I used to polish stainless steel cases when I was working with my dad as a watchmaker.
You could use a satin brush on a big polishing motor. It would help to blend in some of those pits in the metal.
A Matt finish would look good on that blade. Or even some sand blasting would look nice.

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   
You should seriously consider a blog or website where you can archive and compile all your work mate, because it would be a wealth of knowledge for people looking for a decent and well setup list of info!

Most places I've seen that offer similar advice, only offer snippets and then offer to sell a dvd or whatever, which infuriates me as they're less about helping in survival situations as they are about making a buck from it.

Your sincerity in the help you give would shine out to people looking, like your threads here always get attention!! It's just a little harder here to see at a glance all the things you've offered!!

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Ha`la`tha

Seriously... the things I share I do out of concern...
There's to much dis-info... to much money grabbing...
there are no big secrets to what I do or share...

Just like a grandpa taking a green kid under his wing I simply invite you all to sit at the virtual camp fire and learn a thing or three from a somewhat crazy old man

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by thegoods724
The reality is that the knife you found was probably a murder weapon that was used cleaned off then buried never to be found again. Id be a little weary about that.

Not likely... I agree with Thestargateisreal that is was kids...
that or it got dropped in the mud and lost, forgotten...

I've also handled things that were used for violence and you can feel that... this knife didn't have that

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 08:53 AM
link   
reply to post by ManBehindTheMask

As a working gun smith... I can say with certainty... the hardware... pins on the handle are 20th century...
the makers mark is gone... maybe a drop on muriatic acid will bring it back???

as for value.... only to me... and those of you here how wanted to learn...

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by GrandpaDave
reply to post by Ha`la`tha

Seriously... the things I share I do out of concern...
There's to much dis-info... to much money grabbing...
there are no big secrets to what I do or share...

Just like a grandpa taking a green kid under his wing I simply invite you all to sit at the virtual camp fire and learn a thing or three from a somewhat crazy old man

Im' an old fart myself, and even though many of these topics Im deeply familiar with, I still lean TONS of stuff here.
The survival forum on ATS is an excellent beginner or refresher read for anyone interested in this type of information.
I get reminded daily of things I have either forgotten or newr ideas on old techniques.

Thanks for the time and effort!
I

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 07:29 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   

I have some old kitchen knifes needing some work. I think this will help.

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 03:32 AM
link   

Craziest thing in the world, I won this exact knife when I was six at the county fair and is siting on the bed with me now because I couldn't believe it.

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 01:29 PM
link   

top topics

<< 1   >>

join