It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time Capsule With Over 100-Year-Old Germs Found At Former Bellevue Hospital Medical College

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 05:18 AM
link   

Time Capsule With Over 100-Year-Old Germs Found At Former Bellevue Hospital Medical College

source

Sounds like the beginnings of a great Sunday afternoon horror flick - or - one of the many plague crazy new films from Hollywood!

The contents of the time capsule were recovered and they’re now in the hands of New York University bacteriologist Dr. Martin Blaser, who says it was no ordinary time capsule.

“In addition to papers from that time and materials from students from the Bellevue Medical College and the newspaper the New York Sun from 1897, it also had a test tube that had some bacterial spores in it that were gotten and cultured from a patient in 1896,” Blaser told WCBS 880′s Alex Silverman

Oh how I'd love to know just what the germs are! Can you imagine! And the possibilities! I bet the pharmaceutical companies are turning themselves inside out to get a hold of them!

Blaser says the specimen was put there by a bacteriologist named Edward Dunham. He says Dunham was one of the city’s early bacteriologists and that it was he who first described that these bacteria actually form spores.

Blaser says that scientists knew spores could last a long time, but they didn’t know how long. There was even a note saying that he hoped future generations would record how long they lasted.
source

Happy Sunday All!

peace

edit on 9-10-2011 by silo13 because: bbc

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 06:28 AM
link   
Such a great way to start the day, thank you. Peace

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 06:35 AM
link   
I agree mate i bet the big companies are gonna be very interested in this,if only so no-one else can have it.

If there is a positive breakthrough im sure someone will find the time and effort to change it to a negative,.like instead of having a new vaccine we will have a new super bug that no-one has any immunity to.

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 06:52 AM
link   
I'm sure big pharma wishes us all to get that germ, too!

-----

“We are interested in the question of whether seventy years of antibiotics is changing the organisms that live in the body."

We have been told they did change... Why the need for confirmation? Is it that the resistance to anti-biotics is overblown by... big pharma? That would be shocking...

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 07:33 AM
link   
man thts pretty cool stuff,hope its not smallpox or some thing XD

or captain trips from the stand.......

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 07:51 AM
link   
reply to post by NowanKenubi

Oh I think Big Pharma is just drooling over this. 'Germs' from so many years ago! Think of the study... Wonderful stuff that and don't kid yourself 'germs' have evolved incredibly - thanks to antibiotics. To get back to the most 'original' possible germ possible? Wow.

peace

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

In an ideal world, we would be confident that the research and comparisons would be made for the greater good of people, not pockets...

I find strange tho that the time capsule was sealed in the corner stone of a building, and recovered when it was demolished... Did people remember there was a time capsule there? And it seems to me it is a strange way to preserve for future studies a specimen of that sorts.

It would also have been nice to know why the patient was chosen, or that particular germ spores over any other.

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Here's a little info about Dr. Dunham. He was presented as one of the world's cholera expert.

A bit about Dunham.

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Cholera? Holy cough-choke Batman - that's scary.

I wasn't really considering more to the story than what I originally posted - but now all these questions - and the possibility of these 'germs' being cholera?

Ouch...

Great post, thank you!

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 08:54 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

I think we can be calm about the germ not being from the Cholera strains as they do not form spores.

about v. Cholera.

( But just to say, there are 16 strains of it, some giving only a watery diarrhea... )

Still, what was the germ collected and why?

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 08:57 AM
link   
And if we don't adapt it sounds like a death wish from our past if not in terms of the bacteria eating at us then the new line up of medication that would have rather interesting side effects. Anyway I kid, I really want to know why the people put them in the time capsule at the moment my best guess is that they wanted future generations to find a "cure" or see how they bacteria works that lays in the test tube.

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by MystiqueAgent

In the article, it only says Dr. Dunham wanted to see if spores would still be alive, or active, in the future; our present, lucky us.

The questions are what germ' spores was it, and from whom...

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Ah thank you. I guess that is what I get for skimming a bit at 10:00 AM...I'm curious to know what is the name of the germ/organism as well. Now that I went back and actually read through it I see they have papers and materials from that time dedicated to that organism and germ. So going on those it seems like we should be able to find out (hopefully soon) as to what type of organism/germ it was back then.

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by silo13

Oh I think Big Pharma is just drooling over this. 'Germs' from so many years ago! Think of the study... Wonderful stuff that and don't kid yourself 'germs' have evolved incredibly - thanks to antibiotics. To get back to the most 'original' possible germ possible? Wow.

peace

Think of all the new diseases they can create and then spread them to the public and then charge them for cures yay!!!!

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Judgedead

The article said this was bateria not a virus.
As a virus would require a living host, there wouldnt be any left alive in the time capsule. Bacteria on the other hand do not require a host to live and can live on surfaces for a long long time. The virus, the mutator, who invade its hosts cells and then change the dna of the host cell to being a virus reproducer, is what could change into a super bug but bacteria stay pretty much the same. They contain the mechinism to reproduce all on their own, they do not need to change to fit a hosts cells. So the bacteria that caused pneumonia back in 1896 is still the same bacteria today but the virus that caused the spanish influenza has mutated into a harmless form that no longer threatens mankind.
edit on 9-10-2011 by karen61057 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   
I wish I could describe the irrational rage I feel when people link to there source and refer to it as source.

PLEASE LIST THE NAME OF THE SITE, NOT SOURCE

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by MasterGemini

get over yourself

source

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the 1918 global influenza killer pandemic. I think it was --millions-- of people who died from that thing. Could it be some of that? But then those would be -virus- and not -bacteria- .

God, I hope something isn't accidently (on purpose) let out.....

Edit To Add: Whew! I didn't know (or had long forgotten) that about 50 million people died from the 1918 bug. Could we withstand It today?
www.pbs.org...
edit on 9-10-2011 by Saucerwench because: see above

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Saucerwench

A bunch of preserved bacteria from 1897 is not likely to do you any special harm. The genes that make up your immune system have already encountered it, probably many millions of times, in their travels through time and space in your ancestors’ bodies. It’s quite likely that they have already evolved immune defences, or at least resistance, against it – defences that you and others living today have inherited.

Bacterially-transmitted diseases tend to grow less virulent down the generations as hosts evolve resistance to them. The same is true of viruses, though viruses are harder for the immune system to respond to because they evolve so much faster.

If somebody found a time capsule full of bacteria from the future, on the other hand, it could well spell doom for millions.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 01:31 AM
link   
I can see the future... new CHEMTRAILS, soon, with this new collection of infectious spores for us to fight...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join