It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is that light in the sky? Apps for your phone

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 02:56 AM
link   
It drives me a little crazy all the posts I see asking what such and such light is in the sky, if the moon is upside down, and other such.

For those of you with iPhone, or Android, there's apss available that let you point your fancy phone at the sky to see exactly what it is you think you are looking at.

For the Android, there's Sky Map : www.google.com...

For the iPhone, there's SkyView : SkyView

I'm sure there's other apps available; some better, some worse, but, perhaps, with some, these apps will help you to discover that the strange light you're seeing is really Jupiter, or Venus, or something else.

I'm not sure if there's an intergrated satellite tracker/viewer in any of these apps, but, I'm sure if you look, you might find something.

Apologies if this is a repeat thread. I ran a quick search and found references to Sky Map, but no threads describing specific apps for phones. I may, of course, missed it.

edit on 9-10-2011 by nineix because: url wasn't working.

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 03:14 AM
link   
reply to post by nineix

Nineix - you're assuming that what everyone is seeing is something that's supposed to be up there. What if it's not? With that said, you're right in that there are some really great programs out there for those who want to learn more.

Another thread had given a great app that you can download right to your PC (my apologies to whomever originally provided this link - it was an excellent recommendation but I can't find your username right now to give you credit):

Stellarium

I even checked the program before authoring my post tonight on the bright twinkling star and I didn't see anything that would be visible from my specific location matching what I saw. Hence, it would stand to reason that it's possible it was not something that was supposed to be there.

Only speculation but seems logical.

TG

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 03:42 AM
link   
reply to post by timidgal

No worries. Completely understood. I personally don't have one of these fancy phones myself.
I am, however pretty familiar with my sky, and what I can expect from it, and so, even when I catch view of satellites, or the unusual bolide, I'm amused, and happy to have seen something less frequent than the rise and fall of the moon, but, all in all, it's nothing unusual.

Something I think you also inferred is that just because it doesn't show up on a program that simulates a view of the sky doesn't mean it's not suppose to be there.
As I always mention, there's atmospheric lensing that can magnify objects that you wouldn't typically see without a telescope. Some programs you also need to adjust to show objects with magnitudes less than a certain number than may actually very well be quite visible to the naked eye.

Check that program you mentioned to see if there's any such adjustments, and cross check in using other programs. Cross checking your data against other tools is highly encouraged. The online sky viewer I like to use myself is
www.fourmilab.ch...
You can adjust several variables to build custom sky maps, and there's also a horizon viewer.

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 03:43 AM
link   

Exactly! How is Skyview and Stellarium going to know the difference about a "UFO"?? It won't. Because those programs will just assume it's a star, when maybe it's not a star or planet.

Does Skyview and Stellarium know when it's a plane or meteor?

The programs are useless to that regard if you ask me.

Now if your sky watching planets and the moon, maybe.

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 04:10 AM
link   
Actually, the program is quite helpful for everything you mention.

I use the Google one on my Android. If I see something I think is "peculiar" in the sky, I can start up the app and point it at the sky and it will almost always show exactly what I am looking at to be a star or a planet.

If it is a star, planet, or other cataloged item it will show up and eliminate the possibility that it is something else.

If you see a bright object in the sky, load up the app and point your phone at it and if there is a star showing on your phone then you know it's not a UFO. If the same scenario happens, and there is a blank spot on the app where you are seeing the bright dot, then it could be a plane, meteor, satellite, or other UFO.

Having the app and using it accordingly would eliminate a ton of the posts that end up on this site with someone pointing out that it is Venus, Jupiter, or other perfectly reasonable explanations.

If nothing shows on the app where you see something with your eye, then you could try on more indepth programs like Stellarium to see if it is a satellite or something else that isn't a part of the phone based apps.

If all those fail to identify the object, then you could bring the information here and search for answers, or make outlandish claims, whichever you think is fitting.

But, it would certainly help people better understand objects they see in the sky.

Here is a video demonstrating Google Sky Map and basically what I just said...

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 04:11 AM
link   
reply to post by nineix

There seem to be similar features with the program I cited above but I'm a novice and only just downloaded it tonight. I'll be playing and learning from it for days to come because I'm intrigued and want to learn more about our beautiful and fascinating skies. You seem to be very knowledgeable about the subject - mind if I pop some questions over to you if the need should arise?

TG

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 04:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

Stellarium is actually pretty cool and if you have room on your computer, I'd recommend you download it. I ran it through my virus software and it was clean. It's not like Google Earth in that it does not show actual images of what's flying/floating around up there (or at least what they choose to show), but it maps out what is SUPPOSED to be up there in terms of planets, satellites, stars and the constellations they make up. You put in your own latitude and longitude so you're getting a true view of what the sky should look like on any given date from your geographical location.

With that said, I agree with Nineix in that one needs to look at all scientific resources and then if an answer is still not presented, it's reasonable to say (in my opinion) that it's something unexplained. I'm not embarrassed to say that I'm a true novice when it comes to our sky (or understanding the many objects that make up our sky) so I try to be open minded and seek out new ways of learning about these topics. Definitely download the program if you can.

TG

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 04:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Manhater

Exactly! How is Skyview and Stellarium going to know the difference about a "UFO"?? It won't. Because those programs will just assume it's a star, when maybe it's not a star or planet.

Actually the programs won't assume anything. they'll point out what is suppose to be where it is suppose to be.
The programs are tools to rule out the ordinary things like planets, stars, the moon, etc.

[iDoes Skyview and Stellarium know when it's a plane or meteor?

The programs are useless to that regard if you ask me.

Now if your sky watching planets and the moon, maybe.

Not useless at all if you use a process of elimination by looking and checking with these programs to make sure that what you have seen isn't something simple like a star, or a planet.
As for meteors, meteorites, even the bolide variety, plus planes, and even what most people think are UFOs, these objects are usually there and gone so fast that identification through elimination shoudl be extremely simple, and using these programs, someone can start to sound at least a little bit more credible by describing their experience in terms like: "I saw an unusual flashing light at 11:53pm, looking East, 2 degrees above the left shoulder of Orion ... the object moved Northward on a steady heading across the sky until at 15 degrees east of Polaris it stopped, and reversed direction, heading ESE over a course of 12 minutes ..."

Credibility in identifying familiar objects in the sky along side the unfamiliar object in the sky helps to rule out any skepticism from those of us that might feel you're just another panicky chicken little running around about the sky falling when in fact it's really just Venus.
Please note, I'm not saying you ARE a panicky chicken little, but, also note that the less credible and less knowledgeable you seem in any description of anything unusual you have seen, the greater there's a likelihood of people thinking you are.
These programs can assist you in at least sounding more credible than someone saying they saw 'something' in the general area of 'the sky' some night or another.

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 04:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThaLoccster

If all those fail to identify the object, then you could bring the information here and search for answers, or make outlandish claims, whichever you think is fitting.

This was such a nice and reasonable post up until that statement. Just because one might have a theory about something which others don't agree with doesn't necessarily make it outlandish.

In your scenario, one has checked out all of the available programs and being left without any explanation of the object's origin, he/she brings the topic here to be discussed and hypothesized about.

Your response went from being helpful to snobby in the blink of an eye. A shame really because it contained some decent information until you chose to revert to insults...

TG

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 07:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by timidgal

Originally posted by ThaLoccster

This was such a nice and reasonable post up until that statement. Just because one might have a theory about something which others don't agree with doesn't necessarily make it outlandish.

In your scenario, one has checked out all of the available programs and being left without any explanation of the object's origin, he/she brings the topic here to be discussed and hypothesized about.

Your response went from being helpful to snobby in the blink of an eye. A shame really because it contained some decent information until you chose to revert to insults...

TG

The sad thing is, there are a huge number of unsubstantiated claims, and flights of fancy that take off vertically without the barest runway of research, logical inquiry, or reason about them.
It's a fact of life when visiting sites like this, and there's always going to be some sniping across lines where reason, logic, and investigation rub crossways with anything that requires belief, faith, or the 'trust me' factor.
Atheists and Religious types will both foam at the mouth at each other, while others in tinfoil hats will cower in tinfoil lined closets while spewing vindictives at the skeptics that are recommending the tinfoil hats should really see a doctor about some medication.
I exaggerate of course, but, the rivalry is there, and it tends to bleed over into other forum topics.
There are also outright trolls that make stuff up deliberately to bait people, or go about pushing whatever buttons they can because that's what trolls do.
Don't let trolls bait you. Ignore them, and you'll do fine.

Further, in regard to the comment you found offensive, I think that statement was more bleed over from the general rivalry going on between site factions than directed as a personal attack at anyone specific.

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Actually I gave two scenarios, one could come here and ask for questions, or make outlandish claims.

Saying it is a UFO in my opinion is not necessarily an outlandish claim. Maybe I should have cleared that point up.

But, I have followed this website for the better part of 10 years now. I have watched people make ridiculous claims, seemingly often just for attention.

I actually believe in the possibility of alien life, or other things that we may not fully understand. I did not intend to be "snobby," I was just voicing my opinion, the same as you did with my post. I do not need to call you snobby, misunderstandings happen. I'll get over it. Hopefully you will as well.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by nineix

reply to post by ThaLoccster

I apologize to you both for not responding sooner. It's not often that I don't reply to a post addressed to me, especially one(s) involving the clarification of some type of miscommunication.

Nineix, all of your points were well taken and you're absolutely right that there is oftentimes more going on behind the scenes than a straightforward exchange of ideas by open-minded individuals and yes, this type of site definitely brings out all of those who, without the wherewithal or consideration, make ridiculous claims that catch the attention of other like-minded individuals. I usually see no harm in such a situation since it must provide them with some need for momentary notoriety and as long as it's not true fear mongering, I typically let them have their moment in the sun and move on after a brief perusal and assessment of what's going on.

The rivalry you speak of is ages old and although not confined to conspiracy websites, this is, indeed, a perfect breeding ground for such skirmishes. I will admit that some of the mental images evoked by your descriptions of the opposing factions made me chuckle; exaggerated, yes, but also right on point. As for the trolls, that is an entirely different matter and I'll admit that I have, on occasion, found myself being sucked into their muck before realizing what was happening. I try not to bite at that particular carrot anymore and it happens less and less frequently as I've become more adept at recognizing them.

ThaLoccster, I obviously misinterpreted your intent and for this I apologize. As wonderful as the forums might be (or not be on occasion), there is always the chance of a mistaken "read" when non-verbal remote communication is involved. I appreciate your clarification and am appreciative that you were able to respond and set me straight like a mature adult - not something I've been seeing too frequently on the forums these days and a very welcomed change.

Thanks for the replies, ladies or gents (whichever either of you may be) and I look forward to seeing you around the forums.

TG

new topics

top topics

join