It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How many of you would pay a prostitute? Or vote to make prostitution legal?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   
I am not shy to admit I have paid prostitutes of late. I recently got divorced and the marriage from the begging to the end (8 years) was a bloody nightmare and there is no way I am ever doing that again.

Brothels in my country and state are legal and regulated. So they are a safe and clean environment for all parties involved.

Honestly. It's like going to McDonalds for food. It's quick, nasty and not healthy. But if you want guaranteed sex with no strings attached and don't want to go through the rigmarole of trying to pick up down the local pub and coming home disappointed, or trying to face the almost insurmountable odds of male:female ratios in online dating (and the possibility of paying for dates and then not scoring) then prostitutes certainly are a viable alternative.

Even though there is a small upfront cost. It is certainly better than 18 years of child support payments or the very high and devastating cost of divorce. And you don't have to talk them afterwards, which is also a plus. But that can be a minus too, because it is not like having a girlfriend or wife and there is no intimacy.

I love hookers
and I fully support and endorse the sex industry workers of QLD.
edit on 8-10-2011 by belial259 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   
I have a girlfriend. So I don't really need to pay for sex, but.. who cares. Prostitution should be completely legal. If someone wants to pay for sex and someone wants to take that persons money and give them sex then so be it.

Who does it hurt? Absolutely no one.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   
I have never been to a lady of the evening, not becuase I am morally against it, just that I am super shy and figure I would get caught

I would not vote to legalize it, amsterdam has problems with the red light district being a magnet for violent crime, and illegal hookers work a block away from the legal hookers, and the whole point of having legal hookers (disease testing, safety for the girls, etc) goes up in smoke

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Statistics say that the majority of men whom seek "sex workers" are either married or in a relationship. I'm biting my tongue .

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by knightsofcydonia

That's actually a very good graphic.

It's already regulated in many countries. So that proves it does work.
The prices are unpredictable. Regulation would change that.
Many prostitutes are murdered and abused. Regulation would change that.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   
What two grown adults do with there bodies for money, trade or anything else is between them and them alone, the government has absolutely no right to tell people how or why they can use there body and for what purpose if it is behind closed doors.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 11:26 PM
link   
I am against legalization.

For two reasons. First, in places where it is illegal, it usually provides the setting for a lot of of other illegal activity, particularly hard-core drug abuse and organized crime. Amsterdam is a prime example; New Orleans, where it's tolerated in the French Quarter, is another. Walk a few blocks beyond the tourist zone after dark, and you take your life in your hands.

Second, prostitution would be one thing if the participants were like ATS members: educated, savvy, and with the kind of disposable income to afford to be on the internet. But that's not who the prostitutes are. Even in Amsterdam, prostitutes tend to be recent immigrants (or 'guest workers!') who aren't free to unionize or leave their work, without being repatriated. That gives their pimp or "employer" a huge coercive power over the girls.

Look at the stats for drug abuse among prostitutes, even where it's legal. The drugs are one more leash the pimp uses to control the lives of the girls, and make sure they can't really leave.

If every pro was like the ladies of ATS, they'd all be articulate, clear-thinking women capable of charting their own course in life. But most sex workers aren't any of that. They are usually from broken homes, drug addicted, abused, and barely able to speak the language of their "host nation."

What chance does one of those girls have, if a pimp beats her, rapes her, and takes 4/5 of her money at the end of a shift? Or makes her work "off the books" for more than her nightly load. And if she complains to the police, she'll be shipped back to her home country, where her fate will be even worse.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 11:34 PM
link   
reply to post by paleorchid13

Aww...that is sad stuff you just wrote about.
I would say it should remain illegal for the obvious reasons you have stated. It causes physical and mental harm. Consenting adults I have a different opinion on. But yeah, depressing to be sure.

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 12:38 AM
link   
Prostitution probably the oldest profession in the world, and like every other illicit racket it has its horror stories.

However, prostitution is very very big business in Europe, due to some legal loop holes some country's allow whore houses to operate openly , it is one of the few businesses that are not suffering an economic crisis.

75% of these working girls are working for themselves no pimps involved, most are single women, the other 25% which are from north Africa, the eastern block (Rumania mostly) and south America, these will normally have a man looking after their interests.

The only girls that would probably want to be legal are the south American girls, they can only get a six month visa, what they really want is to be able to live here legally, but like the rest of the girls work illegally, ca$h in hand no questions asked.

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 12:42 AM
link   
I wouldn't pay for a prostitute, though I could support legalized prostitution within reason. So long as it was scrutinized and held to a decent standard, all things considered.

I don't think prostitution is a good thing, by any stretch, but I also realize you can't regulate human nature. People will do as people do, and it's best trying to bring the dark side of humanity into the light a bit, rather than pushing it further into the dark, making it ever more sinister. One need to look no further than the drug wars, or the way prostitution is right now.

There are better ways to go about this, without pretending as if we actually have the power to stop it outright. I don't know how humanity ever got so arrogant.

The real problem is underage prostitution, and trafficking. This is where all the energy needs to be placed.
edit on 9-10-2011 by SyphonX because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 12:42 AM
link   
I would definitely vote to make it legal.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 12:45 AM
link   
I have never needed to hire a prostitute, but here are my thoughts on legalizing.

I think if an adult woman or man, chooses to have sex in exchange for money, or other legal items, that should be up to them.

Laws need to remain in place to help prevent exploitation of children and adults who are forced into prostitution as well though.

So bottom line, if an adult makes a choice on their own to have sex for money, I think that should be up to them. But keep laws in place to prevent people from taking advantage of others and forcing them into prostitution, because that does happen.

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 12:52 AM
link   
"legalize it, don't criticize it"

think of the taxes! and all the happy faces!!!

put a VAT on the johns, and normal tax on the working gals/boys.

might destroy the thai sex tourism trade.

anyway, importing outside help will be big biz, bunch em' up like in nevada.

med checks, ins, ice, every month.

every one has a happy ending!

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 12:53 AM
link   
Depends on how long it has been since I have gotten laid..
If it has been like a 10 year rut or something like that, I might
give in..

Right now no.
I do not believe it will ever get to that point...

I do not think anyone could say they would NEVER and it be true..

I think prostitutes are degrading themselves for easy money..(easy in a sense)

A lot of them prostitute to fuel drug habits and stuff.

Also the ones who have diseases would not be able to do it, which would
make them go underground and you would still have illegal prostituting.
Then I believe the men buying prostitute should have to get checked too.
If not your bound to have problems..

I just do not think it would work...

Would I vote to legalize it right now?
NO

Maybe in future: Yes
If there is a good plan of action on how to combat all the problems
that come with it.

I prefer oriental massage parlors
anyways...
edit on 9-10-2011 by popsmayhem because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 12:53 AM
link   
I agree , make it legal , however studies reveal a much sinister market that makes one question if legalization will change the way prostitution is. Will making prostitution legal , make human trafficking any better? My gut says no , as a society , it will never be okay to have kids be prostitutes , however this makes up the majority of the market. (or girls that started out as young) Studies show , that the majority of men who pay for a sex worker are married or in a relationship , and have a high contempt and anger towards women. Studies also show that men who hire sex workers crave the control , the no questions asked. According to Newsweek article , a common theme was wrapped up in one man's quote " You can find a ho for any type of need -choking , slapping , aggressive sex beyond what your girlfriend is willing to do " ...
Who the hell would do that for a living ??

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 12:57 AM
link   
i would vote to make it legal, it is not going to go away and has been around since the beginning of man, (cavewoman points at mammoth meat, caveman points to the bedroom)

so if it has exsisted all through history and 40million are doing it today, what is the point of trying to make illegal, it would solve many issues if it were legalised. they can monitor and prevent STD's, the woman will be in a safer enviorment, they could be taxed and therefore have a reconised job which may put millions back into work and of welfare.

but i would only vote for it if it was to legalise proper buildings, managed and run properly, with all men screened before entering and tests and treatment for STD's.

if you legalise street prostitution then many of the problems will still exsist but just be made legal.

as for paying, no thanks, i could never bring myself to be with somebody in that way unless i knew for sure they wanted to as oppose to doing just for the cash or some other reason other than wanting to actually be with me.
edit on 9-10-2011 by lifeform11 because: typo's

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 12:58 AM
link   
reply to post by paleorchid13

Dear paleorchid13

Naturally prostitution should be legal that is a given.

If I paid for a prostitute a day for the rest of my life it would be only a small fraction of the cost of my legal moral wife.

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 01:07 AM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

You are very sweet .

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 01:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by lifeform11
so if it has exsisted all through history and 40million are doing it today, what is the point of trying to make illegal, it would solve many issues if it were legalised. they can monitor and prevent STD's, the woman will be in a safer enviorment, they could be taxed and therefore have a reconised job which may put millions back into work and of welfare.

In every place where it is legal and scrutinized, licensed or inspected or whatever you'd call it, there is always an illegal subculture of women in bondage to pimps who are basically slaves. Even a lot of the "licensed" prostitutes are forced to work extra tricks, and not report them to the authorities, but give 80% to the owner, in exchange for access to the best corner or the best window or whatever.

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 01:17 AM
link   
reply to post by dr_strangecraft

yes, but that would mean each place is not being run properly, in which case they get arrested and shut down.
my idea of a properly run place is a place that also gets checks and inspections by people who are paid by the industry to keep it clean.

you will never get rid of all the bad things 100%, but by legalising and encouraging men/women to go to a properly run place, you are taking money away from the criminal side of things as customers go to proper places instead, free from being arrested, rather than the seedy backsteets run by pimps with a chance you could be arrested or even robbed, the less money the pimps make, the less people they need to fit the demand etc.

so human trafficking would proberbly still exsist but, the numbers being trafficked i believe would be reduced considerably.

edit on 9-10-2011 by lifeform11 because: missed a word out

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join