It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What are some great deer hunting tips?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   
I have hunted many years and have killed many deer but what really bothers me is when i am sitting in the camouflage blind and a big buck comes up and he looks in my direction then walks toward me. As the buck walks toward me the wind sometimes blows and the bucks head goes up and then he runs back into the woods. I thought it could possibly be my natural human scent or either the camo color of the blind what i have fixed both and sometimes this still happens. Hunting season is coming in very soon and i want to be completely ready to get that big 12 point i always seem to not be able to get. Does anyone know what the problem may be for the buck running when the wind blows or does anyone have any tips?

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by demonologist842012

The only tip I can give is use a bow and arrow.
Using a huge gun is so pointless its crazy if your doing it for the game and not primarly the food.
It actually adds some skill to it and your a lot less likely to shoot your friends in the face..

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by ShortMemory

Thank you for the tip but i also go bow hunting but i use a regular long bow and not a compound or crossbow. You wouldnt happen to play the mafia boss would you?

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Rifles have better range than bows do. You won't have to worry about getting as close like you do in archery.

A gun will last longer than a bow will. Bows strings, arrows, and broad heads go bad. Its easier to get a bulk of ammo for a rifle as well. Past ammunition not used can be used for future years.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by demonologist842012

Thank you for the tip but i also go bow hunting but i use a regular long bow and not a compound or crossbow. You wouldnt happen to play the mafia boss would you?

thats good to hear, i also shoot a recurve and longbow every now and then..although ive only hunted once because i needed food.
umm no i dont play the mafia boss haha.

Originally posted by knightsofcydonia

Rifles have better range than bows do. You won't have to worry about getting as close like you do in archery.

A gun will last longer than a bow will. Bows strings, arrows, and broad heads go bad. Its easier to get a bulk of ammo for a rifle as well. Past ammunition not used can be used for future years.

in most locations where shooting deer a high enough poundage bow would make an easy shot, and you could stay just as far as with a gun because im assuming that a lot of the time you be in cover in a dense area.
bows can last a lifetime and my faviourte part is the fact you can make it all yourself for dirt cheap, you dont need to give your money to some corporation.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 10:21 PM
link   

There is a guy on the online game the mafia boss with the mafioso name called shortmemory. That is why i asked haha.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 10:24 PM
link   
If you want to get thet big buck, you have to think outside the box. Avoid man made blinds or stands. your scent will matter less higher in the air but the big boys are still smarter than we are. Try to find a tree that is climable in an area that you have not sat before. If you are able to pttern his movement you will find a place. Deer are very aware3 of blinds and stands that don't move. I move mine every 2 weeks or so, even if it's just ten feet away. The big boys are most vulnerable during the rut, so whenever that time is where you live, be religeous about being out. Another common mistake is walking to a blind too early or too late. I have found that moving out right at daybreak is better than heading out while it is still pitch black. The deer are less likely to get spooked at that time due to all the other animals in the woods beginning to move about. It may take some time but if you are patient you will be rewarded. Just remember, "let em go. let em grow".

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by usmc0311

That is very true. I always leave an hour befor daylight. I leave so early because i want to be there waiting when they get up from sleeping.

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by demonologist842012
reply to post by usmc0311

That is very true. I always leave an hour befor daylight. I leave so early because i want to be there waiting when they get up from sleeping.

Yup, it's great to leave before daylight.

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShortMemory

The only tip I can give is use a bow and arrow.
Using a huge gun is so pointless its crazy if your doing it for the game and not primarly the food.
It actually adds some skill to it and your a lot less likely to shoot your friends in the face..

And here I was going to advise he use double-ought buckshot, instead of bird shot, and you had to go and ruin it for me.

Ribbit

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by ButtUglyToad

I use the 3 1/2 triple-ought buckshot. It brings the deer down everytime and the deer usually does not get back up.

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Doe urine, a few drops go's a long way. Encircle the blind with it with a few drops up top. Watch what u wash your camo in not just the sent ,but most detergents glow in ultra violet light and can spook a deer from the glow.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   

There have been a lot of great tips shared here ya by other fellow hunters which are all good. Another one to add to the list is this: try a more natural cover sent. Take from the area your hunting in the land itself. If it's pine, then take pine needles and some of the dirt. Whatever it is your take out of the woods with store with all of your hunting gear. We use a tote with a tight fitting lid. We then use the pine needles, palmetto leaves, dirt in a large ziplock bag and leave it open. When store this with in the tote with our gear, and then we get dressed out on in the field before we walk. It makes a big difference. Try it out and see how it goes for you.

edit on 28-11-2011 by mattytencza because: Removed a link I changed my mind about sharing

new topics

top topics

join