It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

.22 rifle vs shotgun for"Wilderness survival" podcast

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by 46ACE

I have always been a fan of the Springfield M-6

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by oldshooter1979
reply to post by 46ACE

NICE!.22/.410 and it plays dvd's too?

edit on 10-10-2011 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Some new thoughts:
Spent yesterday"up the woods" fixing deer stands for this coming season at my buddys acreage/cabin. brought the 870; a couple of different barrels/chokes to play with /two boxesof12ga(# 6's& #7.5's) and my old .22 bolt -action hand me down marlin with open sights. We worked all morning hiked a few trails. didn't kick up a single bird or rabbit as we tromped(noisily?) through the woods.. Saw One red squirrel( let him go;in" survival mode" we'd have chased him down to the end; went back to the cabin and shot .22's til dark. "skunked"

My old bolt action reliably fed&shot: .22Lr; (long rifle bulk pack solids CCi hollowpoints, remington subsonic rounds ; hyper velocity"stingers" ); & .22 shorts.

"Hunting"( if you can call what we did "hunting";As we didn't sit quietly much) is not always a "given". I would've been just as hungry that night if I'd carried a $1200 Browining over/under.instead of my $350 870.What I did get was "sweated"up and tired( and Burned beau coup calories).

In my book "Trapping" is a("much") better deal.They are quiet: traps work 24/7while you go do something else( improve your shelter/ gather/purify water etc..) Saves you calories and produce where active hunting misses..
"store bought" Traps are light to carry/easy to set and reliable.

improvised on the spot traps are fairly easy to construct with cordage once you learn a few simple trigger mechanisms.(ie. the "figure4" and the "toggle" are the two I took to commit to memory).Yes; you can weave improvised cordage out of fibers,grasses and use roots; but Bring a length of cord in your"kit" for10-15 "sets" and you've taken most of the effort out.

Here's a thought to add:

Realistically: A plastic water bottle full of dried beans and rice in the"kit" would feed you for days more reliably than any heavy and or expensive firearm.

I'm still sold on the .22 for the times game presents itself.and"deep survival"(months or years into a crash after most manufactured Ammunition has been long gone). It doesn't have much"stopping power" but the lethality of the round is well known.That carries a bit of authority in its own right: Nobody wants to be "shot" with anything; even a .22LR.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kingalbrect79
I would love to get a .22LR because they are so useful for everything aside from big game. The only guns I currently have and would take with me are both capable of blowing almost anything in half.

My Ruger .44 SuperBlackHawk w/10" Barrel

edited for length

Originally posted by Kingalbrect79

Either would be great for a survival scenario because they can be reloaded and have enough stopping power to take down almost anything, including small Hyundai's.

Comment: In my humble opinion:Uh you might want to re-think that combintion ....how many small animals do you see for every large one? A deer will feed you for a long time(until it spoils(no refrigeration)). There's alot more squirrels and rabbits in the world.everywhere you go.They stay fresh "on the hoof"

You will shoot the mild.22 ALOT better. you can afford to shoot a few thousand rounds a year practice. and you won't develope a flinch from blast./recoil.

"A hit with a.22lr is far better than a noisy miss with a .44 maggy"

when you are not shooting any.22 is lighter to carry.as is the ammunition.

No offense: In my humble opinion you are carrying the wrong(i.e."poor")choices to help survive any"likely scenario"
.I.E. Zombies only exist in movies. elk/Deer are harder to find than small game.Iam a civilian not an infantry soldier; Best case I can pick and chose my fights. Not fighting with lethal weapons.being the best alternative

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by 46ACE

No silly!
The cd/dvd is a redneck coaster, he was sippin his beer when he snapped the photo.

On topic, I'd go 22 over shotgun any day.
Just my preference, I see more uses and pluses.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by g146541
reply to post by 46ACE

No silly!
The cd/dvd is a redneck coaster, he was sippin his beer when he snapped the photo.

On topic, I'd go 22 over shotgun any day.
Just my preference, I see more uses and pluses.

Thanks! of course("how silly of me") makes perfect sense now!

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by 46ACE

Um, I thought I was pretty clear on the fact that I would love a .22 LR because it is very useful for just that, small game kills. You quoted me, but didn't read it I guess.

I have lived up in the mountains, I have lived with no power, plumbing or central heating. We survived off of the 20 acres that we had at the time on the mountain.

When I say big game, I mean Bear, Moose, Elk, etc., not rabbits or squirrels. The guns I carry are those that have been used in the past to hunt on our (former) land. The .44 has taken down it's fair share of bear and elk, and the shotgun I purchased simply because I loved it, and I wanted a secondary alternative to the .44 with both rifled and smooth bore capabilities, interchangable within a few minutes.

I know .22's are very useful, my mother had one that I shot almost every day, but sadly I don't have one myself.

Which is why I said I wanted one for everything but large game. It doesn't mean I have to leave my .44 or 12 gauge at home to carry it around.

Please pay attention when replying to posts, it helps greatly.

Thanks,

King

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Kingalbrect79

Alway want to be helpful...just can't believe an American who owns such a hand canon doesn't have a hand me down.22 in the closet somewhere already.
Questions that baffle the mind
no offense meant.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by 46ACE

.30-06 is the best wilderness gun imo. Big enough to take down a bear, small enough to go through a gopher without mutilating it.

Even a .22 magnum won't reliably drop a deer, or a bear.
edit on 10-10-2011 by Evolutionsend because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Evolutionsend
reply to post by 46ACE

.30-06 is the best wilderness gun imo. Big enough to take down a bear, small enough to go through a gopher without mutilating it.

joined 10-10-2011 ( a.k.a. "gunkid" ?)

First: There could be a viable argument made behind the 30.06 as one gun. If you reload (i.e. "down load" it).

Next: True absolutely no argument: I would never hunt deer with a rimfire under normal conditions.
However: I've never been threatened by a bear or boar in the wild.

I eat a couple of times a day; every day.I Have Seen a few thousand squirrels and rabbits and kicked up the occasional grouse..

edit on 10-10-2011 by 46ACE because: structure

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   

reply to post by 46ACE

This is just my opinion but a 223 bolt action or some such mini 14 would cover both bases if one were looking for something in between. As for the 22 vs shotgun question there really is no question that the 22 is the way to go. I have a 10-22 and it is fine but have always felt better shooting and holding one of the longer 22 18 round tube mag rifles.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by 46ACE

This is "Thestargateisreal".
My Dad uses his for almost all hunting. Very good little gun. He has a .22 magnum but he feels that the bigger shell doesn't do much to tear anything up, it just costs a little more to shoot it, and since he rarely misses, he doesn't care about that.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by 46ACE

Originally posted by oldshooter1979
reply to post by 46ACE

NICE!.22/.410 and it plays dvd's too?

No, maybe 8 tracks
The M-6 is rare, I came across one in 1981 in a army surpls store. They do not have a trigger, but a level you can bump with your hand. I was told if your hand was injured, you may not be able to reach the trigger..

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 10:31 PM
link   

reply to post by 46ACE

This is "Thestargateisreal".
My Dad uses his for almost all hunting. Very good little gun. He has a .22 magnum but he feels that the bigger shell doesn't do much to tear anything up, it just costs a little more to shoot it, and since he rarely misses, he doesn't care about that.

Sorry:
the illustrious"gunkid" is out of federal prison! posted here twice today( I took the"bait"..)but the threads disappeared (mods were on their toes ; God bless'em!)

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by 46ACE

You mean you thought I was someone else?

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Yet another internet post on this same topic
with a contrary but interesting pov!Given equal time: more food for thought. A classic"survival"story:

Shotgun all the way!!!
by: Mick

What does "survival gun" really mean? A hunting arm? Defensive arm? And in a survival situation how long do you expect to BE in that type of situation? People talk about carrying a years worth of .22 shells! Silenced .22's? Get serious! Unless kept dry the wimpy .22 goes south quick with minimal prolonged exposure to any type of bad weather. Ugh!
If you have big game in your area then a centerfire scoped rifle is in order. For a utility/truck gun it would be hard to find a better gun than the single shot 20 gauges. If your hiking or boating and end up stranded I would much rather have the 20 gauge than a .22 or 410. You don't need to pack enough ammo for an army. I carry an elastic shell holder on the butt of the shotgun with a mix of three birdshot and two slugs or buckshot. An extra 5-10 shells can be packed into a coat or pack.
I have been stranded out in the Washington woods overnight in the pitch black and very cold pouring rain. A canoe trip gone bad. I didn't have a firearm. I wasn't dressed for bad weather. The elements drained me of just about all my energy within 12 hours. Hunger set it and I can tell you another 8-12 hours of that weather I may have very well been dead. I heard a bear circling me for hours. I managed to get a fire going (my last match) which I believe saved my life. I set next to it in that cold rain turning every ten minutes trying to stay warm. I had nothing. No gun. No knife. I didn't get off the river in time to build a shelter. Kept thinking I would come to a road. When daylight came I tried walking out. Bear scat littered the road every thirty yards. I kept looking around me as I walked the five miles to a highway. The only thing I saw were little birds and some small chipmunks. No deer. No elk. No large squrrils. No grouse... That left a huge impression on me. If I had been unable to walk out and had to spend another night out there then I wanted a shotgun to drop any feathered tweety I could get a bead on. I wanted a shotgun to fend off a bear. When your wasted and shaking that .22 is awful hard to operate and shoot well. The shotgun only required the hammer to be pulled back and pointed.
The .22 sounds great and works well as a hunting gun but when things go wrong and your at the mercy of mother nature I'll bet your priorities will change in a hurry. I never go out anymore without the single shot shotgun, extra shells, a multitool (Leatherman)on the belt, some sort of fire starter, sports bars and a tiny folded space blanket. I learned my lesson.

www.wilderness-survival-skills.com...
Of course how much faith should we attribute to somebody who goes into the woods without a knife or multiple backups of reliable fire starting resources????

This part rings true though:
quote:

I wanted a shotgun to drop any feathered tweety I could get a bead on. I wanted a shotgun to fend off a bear. When your wasted and shaking that .22 is awful hard to operate and shoot well. The shotgun only required the hammer to be pulled back and pointed.
The .22 sounds great and works well as a hunting gun but when things go wrong and your at the mercy of mother nature I'll bet your priorities will change in a hurry. I never go out anymore without the single shot shotgun, extra shells, a multitool (Leatherman)on the belt, some sort of fire starter, sports bars and a tiny folded space blanket. I learned my lesson.

edit on 10-10-2011 by 46ACE because: (no ron given)

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   

reply to post by 46ACE

You mean you thought I was someone else?

Never can tell on the internets ever see "surrogates" the" hot sexy club chick" was really a bald fat sweaty guy"???"Gun kid" took me for a ride here today for abit I'm still lookin over my shoulder....

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 10:52 PM
link   
For those who have no idea what I'm talking about:

The Return of Gunkid
3 11 2010

By Justin

For those of you who have come to the online gun culture since 2006, you may not have ever heard of John Melvin Davis, aka Gunkid, Hardin, and any of hundreds of other aliases. There’s a very good reason for this.

Since 2006, he’s been spending his time being supervised at taxpayer expense in a federal penitentiary after getting busted for having guns in his possession. (He’s been previously convicted for theft, drug dealing, and trying to make suppressors without having filed the correct paperwork to do so.)

However, all of this really pales in comparison to his worst crime.

John Melvin Davis was an internet troll.

By no means is he the smartest. Nor is he the most technically proficient. Nor was he generally grounded in anything resembling reality.

But there are two things that he actually was:
He was the most prolific internet troll I’ve ever encountered. He applied a work ethic to trolling that, had he put a similar level of effort into holding down a job, he’d no doubt be making a six figure income. He was also unintentionally hilarious. If you’ve ever seen someone on a gun-related forum make a joke about bugging out with a tactical wheelbarrow, using a barkless Chihuahua as a guard dog, resorting to cannibalism after the fall of western civilization* or touting the .22 LR as the best 300 yard cartridge for The End of the World as We Know It, those were all concepts invented by Davis.

Here’s the thing though.

Davis was completely dead serious when he wrote these things. And he was banned from at least a dozen forums hundreds of times over the course of a few years.

After serving his sentence, he was released on October 26th of this year. Be sure to keep an eye peeled for his brand of stupidity. Undoubtedly he’ll be coming to an internet gun forum you like sometime in the near future.

To Gunkid, welcome back. Your special brand of crazy sauce has been, well, not missed at all, come to think of it.

*I’m thoroughly unsurprised that a guy who was incapable of grasping the rudimentary machining skills to mill the frame of a pistol would believe that societal collapse was going to happen any minute now and that within a week we’d all be gnawing on each other’s femurs.

multigun.wordpress.com...

he was a well known troll and a big topic allover survival/gun forums finally arrested by the feds for firearms related probation violations.
He posted here today twice as"linkbelt" ( I happened to be in front of the' 'puter and ats was "up") but the threads disappeared simultaneously.(applause for the mods!)

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   
reply to post by 46ACE

That's not me, I promise you that.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   

reply to post by 46ACE

That's not me, I promise you that.

oh-tay

My most prolific apologies "missy"...hadda' ask though; new avatar same day logon and all. ..

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join