It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stupid audiophile products. A conspiracy to cheat idiots out of money

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Hahaha.. Just had a look at the Machina Dynamica website. That just *has* to be a pisstake..

Regarding gold plated interconnects. I can *sort* of see some slight benefit to them, provided it is a real gold plating and not just for colouring (ooh! Shiny shiny. It must be good), insofar it may help with oxidation of the contacts. Of course, this is a fairly rarebut easy to solve problem, and standard tin connectors will "wipe" the oxide layer clean if you give them a twiddle. Saying this, I've got a pre-amp here which had been sat in somebodies attic for years. I had to clean the RCAs with a bit of wire wool for what must have been an entire 2, maybe 3 minutes of my valuable time. If only they had been plated....

To surmise, if you're planning on not touching your cables and plugs for many years, one possible benefit of gold plating. Otherwise, just give 'em a tweak every now and again.

Finally, go-faster stripes on your interconnects ... Just don't, kids. It's not big and it's not clever.
edit on 9-10-2011 by Lozzo because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 09:23 AM
link   
I used to have a quite nice set up that I got very cheaply consisting of a 1960's Rogers valve amplifier and some Kef concord speakers, at one point I also had a Garrard 301 turntable but I just couldn't resist selling it when I saw how much they were going for on ebay and I only had about 4 bits of vinyl left.

I just cant be bothered with a separate stereo now as everything from my phone to my pc seems to be able to play music in an acceptable way.
edit on 9-10-2011 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Bose is the Antichrist of audio, and Monster Cable is its false prophet.

Also, check out the Coconut Audio site. It's run by a crazy Swede who got himself banned from a well-known audio site. He was famous for his video on Ewetube, in which he sat and whispered in a semi-dark room about the power cable he was dissecting.

I myself have a very decent, very musical audio system which I mostly scrounged. It is far cheaper [and sounds better!] than the gear I had back in my audiophile days. I find that most British gear is awesome, but not all.

I did try the green pen, but I don't know if it made my CD's sound any better.

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   
I have spent 15 years working
around Jet Engines ...even using hearing protection
I have mild hearing lose ...
I tend to say ...Huh.... and What... a lot

can I still be an Audiophile

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lazarus Short
Bose is the Antichrist of audio, and Monster Cable is its false prophet.

Also, check out the Coconut Audio site. It's run by a crazy Swede who got himself banned from a well-known audio site. He was famous for his video on Ewetube, in which he sat and whispered in a semi-dark room about the power cable he was dissecting.

I myself have a very decent, very musical audio system which I mostly scrounged. It is far cheaper [and sounds better!] than the gear I had back in my audiophile days. I find that most British gear is awesome, but not all.

I did try the green pen, but I don't know if it made my CD's sound any better.

OK, OK .... Now I know that I am not mad after all.... That guy at Coconut is even more mad, and ppl buying things from him are erm .... i just don't have any words to say. But maybe I should start a website like that, and mix in magic words, and douse the stuff that I sell in the elixir of life, for a better hearing experience ..... Hmmm, I could take coke-tops, soak it in the elixir of life (recycled urine), and sell it as a magical audio-enhancement, or is it audio-enchantment product, lol

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

Most audiophiles i know of does not buy into the cable craziness. I think is just stereotyping based on what you have read in media or seen on tv.

The people you speak of are in minority amongst audiophiles.
edit on 9-10-2011 by juleol because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   
I remember reading (more than a decade ago) about an 'audiophile' who claimed to be able to tell, by listening to his stereo, when his power company switched between nuclear power and coal power.
Personally, I like wind power, it sounds more open

snrRog

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   
I had to add this.
Why sweat the small change, when you can spend 6.9 million on a pair of speakers?

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by subject x
I had to add this.
Why sweat the small change, when you can spend 6.9 million on a pair of speakers?

following your link, I found this!!!! Cables to your specs, burned in, AND

We need about one week for handcrafted production of a 1 m-cable. Acapella cable will always be optimized with a special burn-in-procedure. However, experienced and advanced listeners can even identify rises in qualitiy during the play-in time.

www.acapella.de...

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   
There's a suck born every minute..
It is not hard to separate a fool from his money...

Our language has countless saying describing essentially the same thing.
But hey, if there's a market for something then someone can make some money. Audiophiles, hah! I'd like to be a stereo salesman in LA!

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 12:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lozzo
Power conditioners? Hahaha... Yep. If you find that makes an actual, rather than a "I've just spunked £200 on this, therefore I'm determined to hear a difference" type of difference, you need to look at your serious mains power problems, or the power stage in your equipment is nowhere near as well designed as you might believe...

And in fact, this is often the case. It's not so easy to really be good at designing the best power supplies for with garbage power (note that most are designed in a lab which has a lab bench clean power supply). Power conditioners also inhibit RF generated in one piece of equipment from entering into another via the power cords (which is an important entry point when the rest of the cabinet is grounded metal). The interactions and downward modulations to audioband are unpredictable.

It's quite common for people to think that their system sounds best at night compared to the daytime---I actually experienced it too. Late at night there is much less 'on the line' from hundreds/thousands of other high-demand users. I got a high-quality high-value passive power conditioner (PS Audio Quintet, in fact). It now sounds the same in the day as it does at night. It was ~$250 USD which is very cheap for high-end audio.

I'm a rational scientific audiophile---I spend the most on good speakers (Magnepan 3.6 to be exact) and some on decent electronics designed for sound quality, and on high-value, high-quality digital sources. My cables are generic copper. I spray the contacts with $10 Deoxit to remove corrosion.

What you get from a fine speaker & appropriate electronics vs a mass market, e.g. liquidity, depth and soundstaging is not pseudoscience baloney. If you have a good acoustic recording (I listen to mostly classical, and recordings are natural, unprocessed and uncompressed, and some are quite fine) it really does matter.

I invite people to experience a real audiophile system. Yes, some people are nuts, and many products are overpriced placebos, but plenty aren't. Note that cables and other dubious tweaks are pushed heavily by the industry because they have high profit margins, and otherwise the stereo industry outside luxury Asia is doing poorly financially. Ignore them.

edit on 10-10-2011 by mbkennel because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

Thanks again, *dave-wrenches*, for this thread. (#*)

Let's say I decide to apply to work at a "High End Audio/Visual" retailer in my area....here in LA, my gosh! What ripe pickings!!

What suggestions can I glean from this thread, so far.....to assist me in BS'ing people into buy$$ing stuff they do not need...but can well afford....(stroking my chin, in evil contemplation....).....

What rubes!!

rube   [roob]
noun Informal .

an unsophisticated person from a rural area; hick.

American slang examples, for those in other countries.....

(#*)....other "americanisms"......a "wrench" in *american-ese* is called a "spanner" in *british-ese*

Also....well, let's just leave it at "Fanny-Pack", and call it a day, all right??? (sheesh!!).....
edit on Mon 10 October 2011 by ProudBird because: detaiIs, details....timing.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 01:20 AM
link   
While that guys site is full of laughs, I can definitely hear the benefit of a well made instrument cable compared to a cheapo...that said, monster cable and other boutique brands are still overpriced. I use death valley cables, they have solid copper cores. I recorded an audio track with the new cable and old one...the death valley cable had more articulation/presence.

Preamps are another big waste of money. That isn't to say that an expensive preamp can't sound great, but a more often than not a cheap preamp will sound just as good, maybe even better (subjectively). The real key is in good AD/DA conversion. It all comes down to your converters.
edit on 10-10-2011 by SmokeandShadow because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 01:39 AM
link   
about 10 years ago I bought a pair of 6x9 speakers that were advertised as having 5 tweaters within each speaker. after I took them out of the box i noticed 4 of the 5 were plastic blanks. haha

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 01:48 AM
link   
How to be blown away sound wise for under 80$
www.jr.com...
I really cant say enough about these headphones. They sound wonderful on a home system but are just as suited for use with a MP3 player as they work well with low power.
edit on 10-10-2011 by bluemooone2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 01:58 AM
link   
I never understood audiophile or whatever its called, but its peoples money and choice so no harm done. Not sure what your complaining about, its not like their spending your money or making you buy those products or anything.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 02:02 AM
link   
reply to post by strafgod

TWO 6 X 9 speakers, and each as FIVE (5) Tweeters within??? Really, that is the Sale of the Century!!!

"Live & Learn", eh??

Sorry, but....6 X 9 speaker sizes remind me of what you install in autos....in the 1970s, they were "state-of-the-art' FOR REAR DECK speakers.

Really...sorry but....thanks for including your personal spoof, being a victim of a sales tactic....we have ALL been there.....I wasted many, many dollars on "quadro-phonics"....back in the 1970s. Of course, younger people have never heard of this......

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 02:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Mcupobob

That cartoon nailed it....

Personified..... ...... "just pay me (enough) and I'll make it (seem, to you) better"......

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 02:18 AM
link   
heres a good one from BEST BUY even

ill just stick with monoprice...

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 02:40 AM
link   
reply to post by gougitousakusha

This HDMI cable features solid silver-plated long-grain copper conductors and a dielectric-bias system to reduce jitter and distortion.

SEE it is worth $700 it sounds all sciency
edit on 10-10-2011 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join