It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stupid audiophile products. A conspiracy to cheat idiots out of money

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Just incase you dont know the word an Audiophile is someone that obsesses over the sound quality of their stereo system, usually starting off by improving the large components like amplifiers and speakers and then eventually becoming so obsessive that they will spend ridiculous amounts of money on things that make very little or absolutly no difference at all to sound quality.

The companies that sell the usually back up their products with ridiculously convoluted semi scientific explanations of how they work and how effective they are.

Here are a few of my favourites I wanted to share with you, All from the same company www.machinadynamica.com...

Blue Meanies

Machina Dynamica's latest product, Codename Blue Meanies, is a set of 4 adhesive-backed 3/4" blue dots that are attached to the walls of the listening room, one dot per wall. If there are only three walls in the room, two blue dots should be placed on one of the walls. Codename Green Meanies are now available for the ceiling of the listening room, one or more per ceiling

Yours for the very reasonable price of $99 and if sticking 4 blue dots to your wall doesnt quite make your stereo sound good enough then they also do Green ones for $100

Top Banana

It might look like some yellow paper that you stick to the inside of your dvd tray, but it isn't that simple. Actually its a $64 bit of yellow paper you stick to the inside of your dvd tray

Brilliant Pebbles
A truly marvellous bit of nonsense described as follows

Brilliant Pebbles addresses specific resonance control and RFI/EMI absorption problems associated with audio electronics, speakers and cables, as well as acoustic wave problems associated with the listening room boundaries and the 3-dimensional space within the boundaries. Brilliant Pebbles comprises a number of precious and semi-precious stones (crystals) selected for their effectiveness. The original glass bottles for Brilliant Pebbles have been replaced by clear zip lock bags, which have a more linear response than glass.

The price? $39-$160
Im speechless

Have any other ATS people ever come into contact with ridiculous audio equipment? Or do you own any?
edit on 8-10-2011 by davespanners because: added price

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm...................

Apparently I am in the wrong profession.

The business who sells these items - is it Caveat Emptor?

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

Thats a good question, I have no idea how they handle returns. I bet that most people who buy them do indeed fool themselves into thinking that their stereo sounds better after they install the pebbles even if only out of embarrassment , after all no one would be silly enough to spend $160 on pure nonsense

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   

You forgot Monster Cable.

Those guys built an empire on taking advantage of the quest for perfect sound (and suing anyone who used the word "Monster" in their name).

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   

I dunno... Enzyte is still in business.

So there are people who will buy even the most rediculous items. 100 bucks for sticky dots is a heck of a profit margin, so they can do good business with just a few customers. I would say half of one order would be enough to provide enough dots for a few years for supply inventory.

This also answers another age old question -

Yes, there is one born every minute.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by vox2442

Yes I should have mentioned speaker cable like this little gem. Only
£10728.90 1M PAIR thats 16 685.58 US$
edit on 8-10-2011 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   
We have a saying here that applies to this situation very well. Translated it says: He is not stupid who sells, he is who buys.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   
I wouldn't consider myself a true audiophile, but I do love great sound in music players. But it can be had at normal priced equipment, maybe just a little expensive but nothing like this craziness.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Intelligent Chip for CDs?

I just got done wiring an old building and I have a few hundred of those laying around.

It really is sad to know there are people that dumb on this world. I fear the human race is doomed.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Not everything audiophile is this ridiculous and crazy. And these items ARE ridiculous and crazy. I love high quality equipment and sound. But after a point, it's all fluff and no substance.

But then, most industries have nonsense you can buy that does absolutely nothing. The after market is filled with these bogus gadgets.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 09:47 PM
link   
I know a Slovic military medic who was into high end sound. I stayed with him and his girlfriend and he had a $16,000 set of speakers. Flat paneled standing about 7 foot tall and about a foot wide. A giant ribbon basically. The sound from those were amazing. He had all his wires cryogenic cooled along with his power amps. And speaking of amps, these were crazy looking 200lb blocks of metal with glowing tubes popping out of them like a lotus flower. So yes people spend crazy amounts to get good sound.

As for little disks that modify the atomic structure of a plastic CD from OUTSIDE of the player by escaping laser light.... Ya. A Fool and His Money Are Soon Parted.

On the flip side while in collage a friend bought a plastic 12" woofer off a guy in a parking lot. I think it was called a pyramid phase 3. We threw it a custom ported box with about 4 cubic feet of airspace on the sealed side... Anyway it is still the loudest, deepest sounding bass speaker I have yet to listen to. Test tones from 10Hz to 20Hz shook the silverware and rattled glasses in the kitchen in the basement. Infrasonic. The speaker was on the 3rd floor. In the room with it it would make different parts of your body vibrate at different rates. Feeling you eyeballs or something in your guts shaking was a trip. Normal music had to be played at the lowest setting or the whole dorm got a concert. Nobody had a test CD that went lower that 10Hz but From what we could gather from extensive testing
... 8Hz-33Hz does make a female body happy.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   

LOL, dave!!!

A sucker is born every minute.....

Surely not real (or, is it? Someone would probably buy it if it were....):

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProudBird

LOL, dave!!!

A sucker is born every minute.....

Surely not real (or, is it? Someone would probably buy it if it were....):

Ok where can I buy one of these
My gf is always leaving them right at the end of the last song

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   
I always got a huge kick out of his gear.

The "clever little clock" is hilarious. It's a normal little battery powered digital clock with a...dolls eye or something similar on it.

There is also this "phone hack" he sells. You give him his number and he calls you, you pick up your phone and he does something on his end to improve the sound of your system.

At least, that's what I recall. I'll have to check the link again. It's been a while...

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Yeah, I laugh my ass off when I see HDMI cable.. 12 feet for $80... Monster usually is the manufacture..

Well, on Newegg.com, I bought a 14ft HDMI cable for $18.

Same shielding, same signal strength etc... Its just doesn't come in a pretty bubble package with fancy graphics. lol...

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   
While I do not consider myself an audiophile, I do like good equipment.

I have spent a fair amount of money on a stereo and television, and to me it is well worth it. I like loud music and like movies even louder. I want to feel like I'm there, I want the helicopter to be landing in my living room.
And no matter what anyone says, every set of speakers sound different from another, some have a full sound and some are sharp, it's what appeals to your ears, and if you do not notice a difference, good for you, you can buy the cheap ones.

I have 2 12" subs that can go lower than the human ear so you can feel the vibration before you can hear it. It's a blast.

I know there are other people out there that could care less about how good sound can be, I'm not one of those people, and I do not judge them so why judge someone that cares how their music and movies sound?

All I know is there is few people that listen to music or watch a movie in my house that do not tell me it's awesome.

Pred...
edit on 8-10-2011 by predator0187 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pharyax
Yeah, I laugh my ass off when I see HDMI cable.. 12 feet for $80... Monster usually is the manufacture..

Well, on Newegg.com, I bought a 14ft HDMI cable for $18.

Same shielding, same signal strength etc... Its just doesn't come in a pretty bubble package with fancy graphics. lol...

Anyone that doesn't understand that an HDMI cable is a digital signal and all HDMI cables are the same, minus the connectors, isn't an audiophile, they just assume expensive=good. The actual cable is no different from the dollar stores ones from the monster's, the connections though can be quite different and of much different quality.

Analog on the other hand does vary greatly and you have to spend money on good cables.

Pred...

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 12:11 AM
link   
reply to post by predator0187

While it's true that generally wire is wire, when dealing with high-speed digital signals the wire can make a significant difference in image and sound quality; wire guage, chemical composition and physical characteristics such as twists and shielding can affect signal levels.Consider comparing Cat-3 with 5, 5e and 6 cables where the maximum length of a run and reliable speeds increase with each higher rating in spite of having the same guage wire (usually 24GA).

"Monster" cable is a joke though.

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by davespanners
Ok where can I buy one of these
My gf is always leaving them right at the end of the last song
Don't forget to pick up the Bedini Ultra Clarifier Quadri Beam to "clarify" your CD's and DVDs, it's only $400:

www.r-charge.com...

As far as I can tell it doesn't do anything but fatten Bedini's wallet, but it looks cool. Some people swear they work, but it's confrmation bias similar to the placebo effect.

Randi said he'd pay a million dollars if someone can prove it actually works.

But Bedini is the guy who is also involved in selling free energy kits, so selling things that don't really work seems to be his profession. He apparently makes a decent living at it, because yes, there's one born every minute.
edit on 9-10-2011 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 12:26 AM
link   
theres a huge difference between my cheapo 20$ sennhieser headphones and my friends 500$ sennheiser HD650s, especially with FLAC source. if i had the money i would upgarde too. really bose is for the biggest audio idiots.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join