It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A U.S. Think Tanks Secret Interest in UFOs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   
This thread is primarily intended for informational and entertainment purposes, rather than a telling of a story. It will focus and highlight that the commonly unnoticed think tank, the RAND Corporation, was, contrary to established beliefs, early interested in the subject of UFOs. In fact, its founders were very interested and involved in the subject. If you got time to do some reading, I think you will find this to be quite interesting, and not to mention entertaining.

I realize the main article has been posted on ATS some years ago, but it deserves more attention than it has previously garnered. I’ve dug up some of the documents RAND developed over the years as well, and I believe it will be of interest to UFO enthusiasts, and I’m sure it’s an interesting read overall. The documents on the other hand, has not been given much attention on ATS. The more seasoned veterans in the UFO field, though, are likely to be aware of this already.

What is the RAND Corporation?

Before continuing to the article, here’s some information about the think tank in question.

RAND Corporation was established in 1946 by the U.S Army Air Force as Project RAND ( for Research ANd Development) and is today registered as a nonprofit organization. It is funded through government contracts, university collaborators and by "private donors." RAND's primary agency clients include the CIA and DARPA (Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency.)

Headquartered in Santa Monica, CA the think tank maintains branches worldwide. RAND's stated mission is to "help to improve policy and decision making through objective research and analysis." Its work is officially conducted "for the public welfare and security of the United States of America."
Source
Wikipedia:Rand Corp

Main Article

Here's a snippet, and a direct link to the article.

Since the 1940's the U.S. government has quietly engaged one of its key defense and intelligence agency contractors as a secret UFO "think tank." New investigation reveals that the esteemed RAND Corporation is a "think tank" that has given far more than "passing thought" to things extraterrestrial.

RAND's hidden history of UFO involvement has been discovered to include work in policy analysis; evaluation of evidence and in advising on the potential technological advantages achieved from UFO study. Telling connections have also been found between RAND and the Roswell crash event of 1947.

DEEP SECRETS OF A UFO THINK TANK EXPOSED!

RANDs Internal UFO Document

A RAND employee wrote a document in the late 60’s on UFOs as well, and it’s quite informative, touching on subjects that are still talked about today. RAND initially denied any existence of documents such as this, but they eventually came to acknowledging the existence of this particular document. It’s interesting that they persistently denied this, despite of the evidence of its existence. Additionally it’s interesting that they were so adamant about it, when they described it as the work of an individual employed by RAND, and not an official document of RAND itself. Pretty harmless it seems, when they eventually admitted it.

There’s two links that lead to the document, one external source, and one directly located on RAND’s webpage.

RAND: UFOs: What to Do? By George Kocher

NICAP: The RAND Corporation published a paper titled "UFOs: What to Do?

Additional Documents

As a B-side, here's some articles on their interest in the strategic advantages of space.

This document is dated April 1951. You may have to copy/paste the URL to make it work.
Utility of A Satellite Vehicle For Reconnaissance.

This document is dated Dated May 2, 1946.
Preliminary Design of an Experimental World-Circling Spaceship

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Droogie

Nice thread idea.

These guys were neck deep into the reports of UFOs from the earliest days. I guess their association with the USAF meant they shared an interest in what people were claiming to see in sovereign US airspace. Some researchers have extrapolated an even deeper involvement that borders on conspiracy with the purported agents of alien technological craft. I'm not so sure about that but it's certainly the case that RAND and those past and present employees have been ever-present in the field of ufology.

A warrior general called Subotai, was one Genghis Khan's top men. He perfected the notions of psychological warfare and would spend months infiltrating his targets before attacking. His agents would seed rumours, myths and unsettling scares in the populations as well as spreading disinformation that Khan would be good for business or a better leader. I've often thought that the UFO phenomena could be explained in such terms although hostility is open to question.

Fast forward to the 1950s and RAND were concerned that the UFO sightings could be a similar program being enacted by Soviet elements. They studied the possibilities and, significantly, wondered if the same social influences could be used to control US citizens for the greater good. At the same time seeking to counteract such influences if they hadn't originated from domestic security operations.

Dr David Clarke and Nick Redfern have published their research addressing the historical documents like The Exploitation of Superstition for Purposes of Psychological Warfare. Whereas Clarke explores ideas that the UFO phenomena itself has been manipulated and might even be mostly a military/intel psy-ops creation, I agree but think elements of the phenomena are from elsewhere.

Whatever the views, RAND have probably generated ideas that directly led to manipulating public perceptions of UFOs to political ends. Some folk will be offended by such notions and yet it's the same perception management used by pop-stars and politicians the world over.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Kandinsky

Very well thought out reply.

I think you convey some interesting perspectives on how to view RAND's function, regarding UFOs. And it's probably the more down-to-earth and reasonable grounds for their interest in the phenomenom. I realize that it's simple speculation, but the story you told from ancient mongolian history, may be the reason why RAND is involved in the first place. Especially considering their inception found place during the start of the iron curtain, and intrinsically with this, we find manipulation and deception as key trends during the period.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Double post, due to double-clicking.
edit on 8/10/11 by Droogie because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Droogie

Some of the connections between RAND and UFOs are presented by Anthony Bragalia in the article DEEP SECRETS OF A UFO THINK TANK EXPOSED!

Over 30 Nobel Prize winners have been employed by RAND. From physics to economics, the 2000 person think tank provides high-level information and evaluation to the U.S. government. Deeper review shows that RAND has conducted studies in such areas as weapons development, intelligence gathering and analysis and the design of sensitive underground installations for the USAF.

Although I don't share all of Bragalia's conclusions, he illustrates how RAND have been linked to everything from Roswell to Ken Arnold. Powerful people...

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Kandinsky

I agree, as these are prominent and very successful scientists in their own right, the group certainly seems to have an interest in the UFO subject. And apparently they were involved from the very start. But nothing discredits them from being active today. Despite of their denials.

All evidence seems to point to RAND being heavily involved in the subject of UFOs from the start, at least from the Roswell incident. Are there any reason for them not to be involved in the subject today?

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kandinsky
reply to post by Droogie

Nice thread idea.

A warrior general called Subotai, was one Genghis Khan's top men. He perfected the notions of psychological warfare and would spend months infiltrating his targets before attacking. His agents would seed rumours, myths and unsettling scares in the populations as well as spreading disinformation

If you would not have said " a warrior named Subotai" I would have thought you were referring to ATS.

I believe it was the RanD think tank that said that the chances for an American revolution in the coming years was very possible as well.
Then their is a possible link from RanD to Tavistock.
educate-yourself.org...

SnF

edit on 8-10-2011 by Violater1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Droogie

These "organizations" are the perfect "partner" for agencies like DARPA and CIA. They are private, and not subject to FOIA requests. They provide the perfect depository for anything the government wants to keep buried. They don't have to answer to anyone.

edit on 8-10-2011 by Cosmic911 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Droogie

Well of course, it is called OSINT. Open Source Intelligence. May I be so bold as to state
that the members here of ATS are nearly as good,if not better, than many U.S. Government or private
funded Think Tanks for that matter. How about those apples? ATS Rocks!

S&F

As far as The Rand Corporation, well they are top notch. Along with Lockheed Martin, and the like.
Their solutions to the problems presented to The United States over the last 60+ years have been
remarkable. It would be outstanding if they could share more with us on these matters.
Fascinating Really.
edit on 8-10-2011 by Wildmanimal because: Add in Content

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 03:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kandinsky
reply to post by Droogie

Whatever the views, RAND have probably generated ideas that directly led to manipulating public perceptions of UFOs to political ends. Some folk will be offended by such notions and yet it's the same perception management used by pop-stars and politicians the world over.

I agree with your statement.

After seeing the reaction from the "War of the Worlds" radio broadcast,
they would have known they were onto a winner for inducing fear and manipulating the public.

Mass sightings distract a lot of people from other things.
When those who are scared, interested, or obsessed about UFOs are busy looking up at the flashing lights.... few may see the slowly rising mist around their feet

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Cosmic911

Good points. Considering RANDs top clients, it's certain they act in capacities unknown to the public. This is probably more likely the case during its infancy, rather than its modern version. They've changed alot over the years.

top topics

join