It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

...and he never came back...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   
I found this picture and was trying to find more info on it..

It says a boy went to war in 1914 and chained his bike to a tree..

I haven't been able to find any yet as i have to run off to work for a bit..

Help me out here ATS..

is this a true story or a hoax..

let the digging begin!!

edit on 8-10-2011 by baddmove because: added words

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by baddmove

i dont know about this example
but this thing does happen for real!
pretty amazing right
nature can not be contained

just search 'tree grows around' in google images
edit on 8-10-2011 by UniverSoul because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by UniverSoul

Here is all i could find so far..

newsomatic.blogspot.com...

[From Neatorama] On Vashon Island (near Seattle, Washington), a tree grows carrying a rather unusual passenger - an old bike. Apparently some kid chained a bike to the tree decades ago and never picked it up, leaving the tree no choice but to grow around the bike. The tree and island gained some level of notoriety when Berkeley Breathed, creator of Bloom County, wrote a children’s book inspired by the bicycle eating tree entitled Red Ranger Came Calling.

edit on 8-10-2011 by baddmove because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   

The story sounds pretty suspect, but the phenomenon of trees growing around things until they become part of the tree is certainly real. In fact there was a very similar thing in the yard of the house I grew up in...in that case it was a pipe that the tree had grown around.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   

If true that tree has a never ending supply of iron, which plant/trees require.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Awesome pic.

My Uncle Jackie had a pipe he laid in a fork of a tree as a kid for bottle rocket fights, and by the time I was old enough to have bottle rocket fights it was a pipe right through the middle of the tree. The tree had grown completely around it.

I have also seen many metal T-posts (fence posts for farmers/ranchers) that were completely embedded in trees. I've seen the posts with fencing still attached to them embedded in the trees, and I have seen fencing just protruding from a tree without any indication of a post, but it might be somewhere inside.

I have also been cutting trees and hit all kinds of metal objects. It is extremely hard on your chainsaw!

Cool find.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready

I have also been cutting trees and hit all kinds of metal objects. It is extremely hard on your chainsaw!

your lucky you wernt killed, a lot of people die from this happening

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by UniverSoul

Yes. I've never been cut by a chainsaw, but I have taken large chunks out of my boots, and I have also had them fling back at me with me going one way out of a tree and the saw going the other. I'm never too proud to bail out, LOL! I think that is what has saved me from any major injury, I don't put up a fight (against a machine), I roll with the punches instead. Works in lots and lots of situations.
edit on 8-10-2011 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   
ive got about 5 trees along my fence, and the fence is inside the tree, lol

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   

On another note, it is quite a sad story that a very young man took off to war, fully expecting to come back and ride that bike again.

I always loved this song with a similar story....

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Hard to say what might be true about the story, OP. I doubt the "1914" reference as the bike tree is on Vashon Island, near Seattle, WA, and the US didn't enter WWI until 1917. However, the poignancy in the story is something special and certainly touches a place within my own heart, when thinking of people who went to war and never came home again. One was my maternal grandfather, lost at sea in November of 1942 when his ship was torpedoed.

For members who'd like to see a few more pictures, you can view them on this roadsideamerica page that's devoted to the subject. They even give you very precise directions of how to find it, so if you're up that way then you can go and see it for yourself.

Mike

edit on 8/10/11 by JustMike because: it was necessary.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by futuredude
why did some one ban my post?

this is getting out of hand, i want to talk to the person hoe is responsible for this!!??
edit on 8-10-2011 by futuredude because: (no reason given)

Check your Messages. When a post is removed, you receive a message. Then you can contact the person who removed it.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   
American Pickers

I bet Mike and Frank would find a way to salvage that bike._javascript:icon('
')
edit on 10/8/2011 by dezertdog because: add emo

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

edit on 8-10-2011 by futuredude because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Thank you posting that video.

I'd never seen it before but it means a lot to me.

Best regards,

Mike

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   
No clue if it is true or not but that picture is beautiful. I had a tree house as a kid where the grew around the one of the poles, so yes it does happen.
Do we know where this supposedly happened? Those look like redwood trees. If I am right that would help narrow down the location of the search.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Now this is seriously messed up from 2009 .

www.dailymail.co.uk...

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   

This is the same bike, same tree...

Similar images of carnivorous trees eating stuff are found at 22 trees growing around stuff.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join