It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Clips & Pictures of the worlds weirdest creatures

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+41 more 
posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 08:15 AM
link   
I decided to put together a little thread of clips and pictures of the worlds strangest creatures hope you all enjoy.

The Hag Fish

The hag fish is certainly an unusual creature it is also thought to be very old, science themselves are not sure wither they can really categorize the hagfish as an actual fish. This creature are whats called marine craniates – classed Mixini or known as Hyperotreti. They have very unusual feeding habits apparently and produce slime. Media and science alike tend to dub them one of the most disgusting sea creatures.
The aye aye

Considered an endangered species this is deemed to be one of the worlds largest nocturnal primate, and it hails from Madagascar – it has rodent like teeth and has a long middle finger. To find food it will tap on trees with its finger to find grubs then chews a hole in the wood, inserting the middle finger to get its prize.

Dumbo Octupus

This is a very rare octopus species that lives at very deep depths of the ocean, so knick names because of its ear like fins that protrude from the top of its head. They are benthic creatures and are of the genus Grimpoteuthis family.

The Blob Fish

This is one freaky looking thing, look at that face :O This is a fish that is very rarly seen by humans due to its habitat, they hail from the deep waters on the coasts of Australia and Tasmania. They live so deep that the pressures are 7 times more higher than it is at sea level. The body of this fish is primarily a gelatinous mass with a density slightly less than water; this allows the fish to float above the sea floor there for conserving energy.

The platypus

To me this has to be one of the weirdest looking things I have ever seen. Hailing from Eastern Australia & Tasmania, this is one of the only mammals to lay eggs – as opposed ot the rest of us to give birth to live young. Baffling naturalists on first discovery they actually thought that this creature was some sort of huge fraud. This creature is also one of the only venomous mammals on earth, The males have a spur located on its hind foot, this delivers a poison that can cause severe pain to humans.

Canters giant soft shelled turtle

This is thought to be a rare species of turtle, and lives in fresh water. This specie can grow up to 6ft and can weigh more than 110 pounds. It was last spotted in 2003 by scientists in Cambodia and found in small numbers in Laos. It has rubbery skin – its ribs are fused together forming a protective layer over its organs and its jaws are powerful enough to crush bones, It spends 95% of its life hiding in mud or sand.

Almiqui

This strange looking thing was thought to have been extinct until scientists deiscovered it in 2003 were it was found to exist near the eastern mountains of cuba. The pictured animal weighing 24 ounces. Almiqui appears to be a small animal with dark brown to black hair and small eyes. It resembles a large brown rat. From its nose to tail, its length can reach between 16 to 22 inches (40 to 55cm)

The Purple Frog

This frog spends most of its life buied underground, only emerging for 2 weeks of the year during the monsoon season for the sole purpose of mating. Whats makes this different from other ground burrowing frogs is that it even eats underground foraging on grubs, termites and such like.

Deep sea Hatchet Fish

Dubbed the fish of the damned by some it gets its name from the shape of its body. They vary in size growing from between 1 and 6 inches long. They are often mistake for fresh water hatchet fish commonly seen in people’s homes. These fish have the ability to create their own light – the process is known as Bioluminescence. Little is known about his fish’s life cycle or breeding habits.

The giraffe weevil

This weird looking thing hails from Madagascar, the male of this species has a neck that is 2-3 times longer than the females. They can use this extended neck to fight for the right to mate with a female. She, on the other hand, uses her smaller neck to roll a leaf tube nest into which a single egg is layed.

the skull Crab spider

Im sorry but this is just freaky looking lol, This spider is able to mimic flowers to catch prey they are known to be masters of ambush and disguise apparently. They range in size from 3-32 mm although they rarely exceed 11mm in body length.

Wrinkle–Faced Bat

This creature is found in and around central America. It is a fruit eater but it does not come under the fruit bat category. t is classified as a leaf-nosed bat but does not have a leaf nose. It has an unusually shaped skull which is thought to allow the bat to eat a wider range of foods than other bats.

The Dragon Fish

This is a deep sea fish and is apparently extremely ferocious, but despite its appearance this fish is actually very small, measuring about 6 inches.It also has a fishing lure attached to its chin, and it turns the light on and off to attract its prey. This fish lives at depths of up to 5,000feet, and this species are pretty limited to the north and western Atlantic Ocean and Gulf of Mexico.

The above are of course only the drop in the pond of the very weird creatures we have ont his planet. If anyone finds anymore please feel free to post. Below is some utube videos of more weird and wonder creatures, I hope you enjoy.

edit on 8/10/11 by ronishia because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Cool thread.

I'll add one...

Leafy Sea Dragon, a relative of the seahorse.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Awesome post! Some of these really are insanely bizarre..

The Dumbo Octopus is strange and cute at the same time. The Blob Fish is hilarious.

But the Deep Sea Hatchet fish? Incredible. Their faces!!

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by ronishia

Wonderful thread! My five year old son has really enjoyed checking out all these weirdo critters!!

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   
thanks for replying

a few more i found

this belive it or not is a sea cucumber

This bizarre transparent sea cucumber was recently spotted some 1.7 miles under the sea in the Northern Gulf of Mexico in 2009

this one is a guitar fish

found in the Red Sea and the tropical western Indian Ocean.The Giant Guitarfish is quite large, reaching a maximum length of 3.1 meters (10.1 feet) and a maximum weight of up to 227 kg (500 pounds). They have big black eyes on their pectoral bases with a black cross-like shape between them. Their snout is pointed while their mouth is really small featuring small pavement teeth, which means that the teeth are flattened and arranged side by side like the tiles in a pavement, making them virtually harmless to humans.
Their body is olive-green on the above, and white below. Like most guitarfishes, they have a human-resembling face on their "belly".

The glass frog

Home: North (only in southern Mexico), Central, and South America (as far as southern Brazil and northern Argentina.

Size: 20 - 30 millimeters

The dugong

The dugong is a cousin of the manatee and is closely related to the elephant. The dugong is unique in that it has a split (whale-like) tail and will "perch" underwater on its tail in order to keep its head above water. The dugong is thought to have inspired ancient myths about mermaids

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by ronishia

That second one kinda looks like Picachu from Poke`mon.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   
My favourite by far

He doesn't go to parties, hi IS the party

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Drunkenparrot
Cool thread.

I'll add one...

Leafy Sea Dragon, a relative of the seahorse.

Oh man you beat me to it. This leafy seadragon is my new favorite weird creature. I think they are lovely. Like a dressed up seahorse.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Wow, some nice ones!

I saw one of the Turtles in 2007-08 in the deep South of Laos close to the 4.000 Islands
eaten by the Border Guards, who also get paid to protect the sweetwater Mekong Dolphins

I do not know they are sooooo rare!

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   
I just found a new favourite while looking around for this thread, the Sea Angel

Awwwwwwww

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   
wow thnaks, really cool! Nature is incredible!

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

awwwwwwwwwww i wants one!! lol

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   
This is one of my favorites. Killer caterpillar.

For some odd reason a thread I started about it got moved to "Chit Chat".
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

holy hell thats a freaky looking thing

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   
This is a cool fish.
Fringehead fish.

Mouth closed:

Mouth open:

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by listerofsmeg

holy #
lmao with its mouth open that is one freaky lookin fish lol

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Amazing pictures. Some of them are freaky but beautiful at the same time.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   
The sea pig.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Wow, amazing pictures. Like the Discovery Channel commercials say, "the world is just awesome!"

Or something like that i think. lol

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   
We have telescopes that see way far away.
And we have microscopes that see way small.
Man has made things that go real fast, real deep, and way high up.
But right here under our noses and just around the corner,
is the thing that matters most on or off this rock... LIFE.
Most of these critters live in remote environments where we hardly go.
What could they possibly be thinking of us?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join