It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Moon....Who saw it last night and tonight.

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 04:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

Don't take it from me, walk outside right now. See that huge light next to the moon? Keep track, not just tonight but let me know if it gets dimmer or changes position in the sky on your end.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 04:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Arbitrageur

Originally posted by busterbunni
Because he only looked up the light online with stellarium and the other websites twice I can't say when the first time was but it was early Sept. (first weekend I believe), the second time he looked being yesterday. What do you think they will call it next month?
Next month, Jupiter will be called Jupiter, and Venus will be called Venus, same as this month, same as last month.

Did it ever occur to you that between those two times you checked, Jupiter might have become more prominent?

Just click the date setting on Stellarium and it will back up the date one day each time you click it. If you do one day a second it will only take 30 seconds to go back 30 days. I'm sure you'll see it didn't change any planet names, but I suspect you'd rather adhere to your misconceptions, than check it.

Again I ask are you saying that Venus last month was just as bright and on the same orbital path as Jupiter is this month? Not only that but this planet is visible at the same brightness for over a month?
edit on 14-10-2011 by busterbunni because: I forgot something.

edit on 14-10-2011 by busterbunni because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 04:37 AM
link   
I'm not saying I go out and look up every once in a while, I have been watching this thing every night since I noticed it in Aug (I am an insomniac and a niccotine addict and we don't smoke indoors because we have pets). I reference Sept. because that's when I involved a unbiased person (my skeptic husband) to see what he made of it. I didn't even bring it up to him until I was sure I wasn't going to bring him out only for it to not be there. I'm not trying to convey I'm an expert but I go outside several times every night usually for extended periods of time... I didn't just see this light a couple times and come post on here.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 04:50 AM
link   
Funny enough if you type in the same search we did last month for "bright light in eastern sky Sept. 2011 south Texas" which brought up Venus and where to find it last month now brings up where to look for Jupiter and where to find it this month with no reference what so ever to where Venus was.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 04:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Manhater
reply to post by busterbunni

Everyone is saying it's Jupiter. Take a picture, it looks like it has eyes. I don't know. I swear you will see a shadowy figure too. And I can swear it has eyes. I deleted that picture but it shows the definition of an eye. Telling you. lol I think it's something else. What, I don't know.
edit on 14-10-2011 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

Thought about this... and since anything is possible doesn't the front of this look a tid bit like an eye? Far fetched but also creepy.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 05:00 AM
link   

Again I ask are you saying that Venus last month was just as bright and on the same orbital path as Jupiter is this month?
No.

A month ago I doubt it was Venus you saw because the location of Venus in the sky as it appeared from Earth was pretty close to the sun a month ago.

So my guess is, it was probably Jupiter a month ago, and it's probably Jupiter now, and you're mistaken thinking that Stellarium showed you it was Venus, or you entered a date wrong or something. When I try to look at Venus a month ago in Stellarium, it's washed out by the sun.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 05:06 AM
link   

So by that logic Jupiter was just as bright last month as it is tonight? Did you go look at it? That explanation seems strange since Jupiter is supposed to be at it's brightest THIS month in fact in a couple weeks, not early Sept. So how did I get a picture of Jupiter in Sept.?

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 05:22 AM
link   

So by that logic Jupiter was just as bright last month as it is tonight? Did you go look at it? That explanation seems strange since Jupiter is supposed to be at it's brightest THIS month in fact in a couple weeks, not early Sept. So how did I get a picture of Jupiter in Sept.?
It wasn't quite as bright a month ago, but the difference was small.

It will reach peak brightness roughly Oct 28 at -2.78 apparent magnitude.
On Sept 28 the brightness was -2.68 apparent magnitude.
This small difference in brightness over a period of a month is probably difficult to discern with the human eye.

So yes, it was slightly dimmer a month ago, but perhaps not to the point where the difference was noticeable to the unaided eye. With a sensitive measuring instrument you could probably measure the difference.
edit on 14-10-2011 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 05:39 AM
link   

With no moon present at some points and it still eminating that much light, also able to be seen through light cloud cover when the moon wasn't...well, I guess Jupiter is the brightest it's ever been in my lifetime and since it can outshine the moon at times (which no planet can do based on the laws of what the government told me to believe), and I should believe you and your educators (government employees) that Jupiter and all planets can at times be red, blue, and green, can outshine the moon which is visible in daylight when planets are not, and can be visible for months on end... yet somehow that logic still doesn't work... Jupiter and Venus weren't visible in Aug. and while they may be visible today that is not what I am looking at. I say again go look for yourself, keep track. If I'm wrong oh well, but something tells me if you told an astronomer you got a picture of Jupiter last month they would laugh at you.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 05:46 AM
link   

I thought this thread was about the moon.

You have spammed enough replies to make 20 so why not start a new thread about your mystery light.

I am sure everyone will love to read it, you could even post your pics.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 05:47 AM
link   
Because I'm a wuss, my bad wrong thread.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 05:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheOven

I thought this thread was about the moon.

You have spammed enough replies to make 20 so why not start a new thread about your mystery light.

I am sure everyone will love to read it, you could even post your pics.

"spammed"? replying is spam?

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 05:50 AM
link   

If I'm wrong oh well, but something tells me if you told an astronomer you got a picture of Jupiter last month they would laugh at you.
Why break your track record now?

September 2011 guide to the five visible planets

With some diligence, you can catch four of the five visible planets in September 2011. ... In their outward order from the sun, the visible planets are Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter, and Saturn. All but Venus are visible in September 2011.
So the one planet you thought you were looking at in September, Venus, is the one that wasn't visible.

And Jupiter certainly was quite visible in September.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 05:52 AM
link   

So which planet made my camera last month?

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 05:53 AM
link   
I saw the moon this morning before i went to work!!!!!
It was Round , moon coloured and Almost full.
OMG
edit on 14-10-2011 by rigel4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 05:56 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 05:59 AM
link   

It wasn't Venus.

I haven't seen your camera nor do I know any details of your photography so I can't say conclusively. But I wouldn't be surprised if it was Jupiter.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 06:02 AM
link   

Jupiter. It has been visible since probably about August at least, maybe even earlier that that.

Venus is not visible currently, and has not been for a while. If I had to guess I would say it's been at least 4 months since it could be viewed.
edit on 14-10-2011 by Boognish because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 06:03 AM
link   

I'm reading things from people that have been gazing for 50+ years saying that seems strange... I have 20 years in myself. There's something not right about the size and brightness of that "planet". I'm as convinced something is off as your are something is right. Think what you want, say what you want, but if Jupiter is more prominent now than it has ever been in over 20 years something has changed up there.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 06:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Arbitrageur

If I'm wrong oh well, but something tells me if you told an astronomer you got a picture of Jupiter last month they would laugh at you.

Why break your track record now? < - you said...

Cause I'd rather do that than demean other people like you choose to.

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join