It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone Know anything about this?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 12:06 AM
link   
Hi, i got given this item by a friend and i was wondering if anyone knows anything about it. I'm just wanting to know if the patch on the Pugaree is real or not. Thanks:

files.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 8-10-2011 by daaskapital because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 12:38 AM
link   
reply to post by daaskapital

Honestly I can't even make most of it out.....could you explain what you mean by "real". Is there something mysterious about it? Does it say something interesting? I see a word...but again, I can't make it out. The word in red seem to have been written by someone rather than part of the original item, I'd guess...but again, I can't make out the word. Perhaps you could describe what it is about this that you want to know, and what exactly you mean by 'is it real'.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 12:39 AM
link   
Looks real. Can you touch it

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by bhornbuckle75

Honestly I can't even make most of it out.....could you explain what you mean by "real". Is there something mysterious about it? Does it say something interesting? I see a word...but again, I can't make it out. The word in red seem to have been written by someone rather than part of the original item, I'd guess...but again, I can't make out the word. Perhaps you could describe what it is about this that you want to know, and what exactly you mean by 'is it real'.

The word is Teasle, as in a name. surname or nickname i'm guessing. The puggaree is supposedly from the 1st Independent company (Australia, 1941-42). I was just wondering if anyone knew whether of not this item is authentic judging by the green patch.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 12:55 AM
link   
reply to post by staple

good call

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 01:03 AM
link   
Hey Daaskapital,
Just did a quick search on 1st Ind.Coy. The double green diamond with blue outline is the correct emblem for that unit. Could not find the original unit registry, but hey, I only searched for like 1 min. When formed it was only a small unit, less than 300 all up and they managed to suffer an almost 50% casualty rate.
If you do a proper search I will bet that "Teasle" is the surname of one of its members. It has long been common practice for people to write their surname somewhere in each and every piece of gear that is issued to them. ( In the Australian Military at least, I cannot say about others) Hope all this helps.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 01:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Petrov62
Hey Daaskapital,
Just did a quick search on 1st Ind.Coy. The double green diamond with blue outline is the correct emblem for that unit. Could not find the original unit registry, but hey, I only searched for like 1 min. When formed it was only a small unit, less than 300 all up and they managed to suffer an almost 50% casualty rate.
If you do a proper search I will bet that "Teasle" is the surname of one of its members. It has long been common practice for people to write their surname somewhere in each and every piece of gear that is issued to them. ( In the Australian Military at least, I cannot say about others) Hope all this helps.

Sweet, thankyou very much for the information. I have tried looking up the name on the AWM, but so far no luck, i will continue looking though, Again, thankyou

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 01:16 AM
link   

You're welcome. The Wiki site is ok but the Australian War Memorial is better.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 01:40 AM
link   
Would anyone happen to know if soldiers back then happened to sew their own patches on to their gear? Especially in the wild or at home

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 02:21 AM
link   

Colour badges are now supplied as such as part of the gear. Usually only on the bungeree of head gear. However, colour badges as such had their start in WW1, Units would be given a specific design that applied to them only. This would enable members of that unit to be able to recognize each other etc etc. Most battles in WW1 started with a reasonably organised attack that would soon result in complete carnage and confusion, so the ability to re-organise after the attack was crucial..thus the patches.
I cannot find any info on who actually put the badges on, but given the situation at the time, and understanding a bit about logistics, I will take an educated guess that they were given out and individual soldiers sewed them on.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 02:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Petrov62

Colour badges are now supplied as such as part of the gear. Usually only on the bungeree of head gear. However, colour badges as such had their start in WW1, Units would be given a specific design that applied to them only. This would enable members of that unit to be able to recognize each other etc etc. Most battles in WW1 started with a reasonably organised attack that would soon result in complete carnage and confusion, so the ability to re-organise after the attack was crucial..thus the patches.
I cannot find any info on who actually put the badges on, but given the situation at the time, and understanding a bit about logistics, I will take an educated guess that they were given out and individual soldiers sewed them on.

Thanks again for your help mate.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 03:00 AM
link   
Okay, if anyone is still reading this, can you please help me gather information on a man called [SNIP]. I have pinned the original owner of the Puggaree to this man. All i need to know is where he served. The only info i know is that he was discharged in hospital. Thanks again
edit on 8-10-2011 by daaskapital because: (no reason given)

edit on 12/25/2015 by eriktheawful because: Edited at member request

new topics

top topics

join