It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A decade ago - the S11 protests.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Back in September 11th-13th, 2000, the World Economic Forum was to meet in Melbourne Australia.

Because rich people are evil, this created the idea of protests against something vaguely related to them, spurred on by the (then recent) 1999 WTO protests in Seattle.
As a University student at the time, naturally there were heaps of notices around around about getting involved.
I went to one of the meetings to see what it was about. Self appointed leaders sat up the front and asked the audience what they should be protesting about. Nobody really had any idea. One person stood up and said "whatever we do, we have to SMASH THE SYSTEM". Lots of vague talk about "ending globalisation" and "ending capitalism" and the meeting ended without any agreement on anything.

The protests themselves I didnt go to, but they were widely shown in the media. The big news story of the three days of the meetings. Some politicians even deemed it worth their while to make a comment or two on the topic
Overall the theme was the same as the meeting - lots of people who hage a huge number of things to complain about were protesting about their thing, sometimes in direct competion with the other there who were complaining about the exact opposite. No unity, no coherence, no overall theme, no direction.

In the end, what we were left with was lots of stories about people being arrested.
Nothing else came of it.

News article from then
Some photos from someone who was there
wikipedia

So what I'm saying with this posting, is that I'm not seeing any difference at all with the protests now, as then.
And frankly, I'm not seeing the end result to be any different either.

new topics

join