It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Want a faster internet connection? Try moving to another country!

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by AlreadyGone
One of the things we forget as Americans is just how big this country of ours is, and how spread out our population is across the fruited plain.

It isn't economically feasible yet to provide top quality connections when there is on avg one customer every other mile in Backside, Arkansas or Blue Corn Wisconsin. The higher the concentration of customers, the more economical it is to provide better services and the price goes down.

The reason European countries..ie Netherlands, are so good at providing service is that country could fit inside of Sampson County, NC... heck, Texas is almost as big as all of Europe. In Germany, you can walk from village to village literally at a hundred yards in some places...towns are only a couple of KMs apart. Here in the US...it is my experience that most towns are about 20 miles apart... the distance a horse could travel in one day...

As such, service is concentrated and so are the customers making it feasible for the providers to be able to provide a top quality product at a profit.

I hate that myth:
You are being screwed

Americans have paid and paid again billions of dollars for an imaginary upgrade to create a fiber optic future. The estimate of $320 billion has already been collected which means that every household has paid almost $3,000 to upgrade the phone networks. The question no wants to really address is simple: What have Americans gotten for the telecom broadband rip-off?

edit on 10-10-2011 by polit because: Added quote

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 03:46 AM
link   
Do I have to travel round the world to get the fastest internet connection

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 03:48 AM
link   
Do I have to travel round the world to get the fastest internet connection

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 05:30 AM
link   
There we are (Australia), all the way down at 47... not surprising really. Our internet sucks, very soon online privacy will be dead in Australia, and censorship will get out of hand... Sweden it is them.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   
It disappoints me that Norway ended up on 27th place with 14.41Mb when im sitting here with a 500Mb up/down fiber line

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join