It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Want a faster internet connection? Try moving to another country!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 11:09 PM
link   
The internet today is a blessing. It lets us share things online at great speeds that we couldn't do decades ago, but what if you found out that the country you live in has the slowest connection in the world? This link brought to my attention how fast other countries connections are going with MBPS and the results were quiet fascinating. Based on population or purpose of downloads, it has a unique list of the fastest internet providers in the globe. My question for you all is this. What kind of tech do these servers have in other nations that make your country go slower then a slugs pace?

www.netindex.com...

I can't believe the U.S got in 31st place.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Stop-loss!

you could just get a seriously long cable and hijack their internet haha

we dont have it bad tho at all:
Tanzania 1.13 Mbps
Iraq 1.06 Mbps
Venezuela 1.01 Mbps
Afghanistan 0.95 Mbps
Belize 0.95 Mbps
Algeria 0.92 Mbps
Bangladesh 0.91 Mbps
Cote D'Ivoire 0.85 Mbps
Mali 0.84 Mbps
Zambia 0.79 Mbps
Botswana 0.79 Mbps
Burkina Faso 0.74 Mbps
Bhutan 0.74 Mbps
Reunion 0.74 Mbps
Swaziland 0.71 Mbps
Sudan 0.70 Mbps
Iran, Islamic Republic of 0.69 Mbps
Malawi 0.69 Mbps
Bolivia 0.66 Mbps
Lebanon 0.52 Mbps

now thats slooooooowwww
edit on 7-10-2011 by UniverSoul because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Dude I lived on dial up for 8 years, 0.05mb's
I'm just happy to have broadband now...

Fiber optic is going to take over soon 50down and 50up
it is coming...

edit on 7-10-2011 by popsmayhem because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 11:14 PM
link   
The main question is... what is Lithuania doing with all those internets

I thought I had a good connection in the UK up till now, suddenly I feel cheated

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 11:21 PM
link   
reply to post by UniverSoul

No wonder my connection in Iraq was doo doo. It was bad enough trying to send emails home but still its better then Lebanon that's for sure.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   
This is one of those dirty little secrets not publicized because it would destroy
the fragile egos of us Americans.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by choppedbrisket
This is one of those dirty little secrets not publicized because it would destroy
the fragile egos of us Americans.

Believe me, moving to Lithuania would be a blessing with that kind of fast connection they have!

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 11:50 PM
link   
I'm on a 100Mbit connection here in washington state.. it's $199 a month though..

A 45Mbit connection used to cost 20k per month about 10 years ago..
edit on 7-10-2011 by alienreality because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by alienreality
I'm on a 100Mbit connection here in washington state.. it's $199 a month though..

A 45Mbit connection used to cost 20k per month about 10 years ago..
edit on 7-10-2011 by alienreality because: (no reason given)

The sad thing about this is I live near the projects so my connection can't go faster then 6 MBPS. I would most likely pay that price as well if it was available in my area but still I suppose the providers have their reasons for limiting this kind of service to those who live in poverty.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Stop-loss!

I'm perfectly satisfied with my 50mbit connection's ability to stream/download/upload. What bothers me, is that I can't even use it's full capabilities, as I'm limited to 250 gigs download and 50 upload. My household can't even utilize our Netflix subscription like we used to. The real issue here is what countries/companies have what type of bandwidth caps, and how do we (the U.S.) compare?

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 12:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Q:1984A:1776

I believe it might be due to lack of privacy due to low security. If you do not have a password to your wireless functions then most likely someone is stealing your connection speed with a quickness. I have that same problem here as I found out that some can actually access my wireless since it is not password protected but I can try to get it fixed if I can just remember the password to my router. This might also be a clue as to why most European counties have the fastest connection across the globe.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 06:56 AM
link   
What does mean the first number? Is it my speed? 9.15 sounds not so bad but I have also never downloaded faster than 1,5 or so. These sucking limits are more relevant I think.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 07:02 AM
link   
yeah yeah!!

the dutchies got in 7th

wooohooo

PS:

is this an average?

edit on 8-10-2011 by kn0wh0w because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 07:07 AM
link   

are you serious?

ROFL.

i've got a 50Mbit connection, here in the netherlands, 45 euros a month...

200 dollars

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 07:09 AM
link   
Here in the Uk im on 8mbps and i live just a few miles away from an area that can get 50mbps with unlimited usage, but many companies simply don't see it as profitable to roll out LLU on exchanges without many people. I pay £25.99 for that and 100gb monthly limit, really crap but the best that is possible and unless i move is probably the most i will be getting for a very long time.
edit on 8-10-2011 by Solomons because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 07:20 AM
link   
I'm with Virgin Media and I'm paying £26 per month just for 10mb broadband...
Not entirely sure what I actually get but feel cheated either way

Kyle

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 07:28 AM
link   
When it comes to broadband, price is more important than the speed. I'm not saying that speed is not important, but when they say unlimited, it should be really unlimited. I mean really unlimited as in without quota or fair usage policy or anything, basically an always on broadband.

So it's about how much it cost you per month, and how fast is it, and whether there is a quota.

I have a mobile broadband (mobile broadband usually is expensive), mine is very very slow, only half a megabit, but here's the kicker, 9 US$ no quota.

But I have another broadband. A basic package cable broadband, 1 and a half megabit without quota I believe, 25 dollars. But what's the point? It's expensive and not mobile and I don't use it anymore, but since I'm not the one who's paying for that.. it stays on.

I'm not gonna pay more than $50 for unlimited broadband each month, but these cable prices from the former cablevision company are just crazy. 65$ for 6megabit, 125$ for 12mbit and 205$ for 20mb.
edit on Sat 8 Oct 11 by Jazzyguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   
I'm a little surprised to see Portugal in 18th.

A quick Speedtest showed these results.

Not bad, I guess, for 37 Euros a month, with no limits.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by kn0wh0w

I think it's an average from the results from Speedtest that are submitted to Net Index.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   
One of the things we forget as Americans is just how big this country of ours is, and how spread out our population is across the fruited plain.

It isn't economically feasible yet to provide top quality connections when there is on avg one customer every other mile in Backside, Arkansas or Blue Corn Wisconsin. The higher the concentration of customers, the more economical it is to provide better services and the price goes down.

The reason European countries..ie Netherlands, are so good at providing service is that country could fit inside of Sampson County, NC... heck, Texas is almost as big as all of Europe. In Germany, you can walk from village to village literally at a hundred yards in some places...towns are only a couple of KMs apart. Here in the US...it is my experience that most towns are about 20 miles apart... the distance a horse could travel in one day...

As such, service is concentrated and so are the customers making it feasible for the providers to be able to provide a top quality product at a profit.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join