It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

12 hours ago, I sold my TV

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 08:33 PM
link   
And now I'm sitting here wondering WHY exactly I did it. I'm missing the noise in the background, my Chiller TV cheesy horror movies, the hospital and ER shows on Discovery Health Channel....... just /why/ again is it good to give up tv? I'm still locked onto the Internet, will probably be more on here than I have been.... but remind me why tv is so bad for a person when they still fall back on the net and use it just as much as they did/do tv.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by sarra1833

As long as you made some money...cool.

Most of what is on TV is on the internet nowadays...maybe a few days later than usual. Big Deal.

But now your gonna have to get a bigger moniter. Wait a second? Aren't todays Flat screen TV's also used as moniters? It's a conspiracy I tells ya!
Maybe a projector? Those are cool and fairly cheap.

Sorry...but it is the truth.

Oh, and there is the communication thing. At 3am, most of my buds are asleep, and usually dont want to talk about the stuff on ATS and the interwebs.
edit on 7-10-2011 by TDawgRex because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-10-2011 by TDawgRex because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   

i have a spare portable color tv in the loft i dont use lol

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   
*SmoKe mindlessly flicks through the channels...*

Nothin' good on TV at the moment anyway...so you're not missing much.

edit on 7-10-2011 by SmoKeyHaZe because: Shipoopy.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   
You should had kept your TV and cancelled your cable.. I use my LCD TV for DVD's and Blu-Ray's and Hook up my Desktop computer via HDMI to my telly.. I got rid of cable 4 years ago and I'll never want it back.. plus I can download my shows and watch it on my 52 inch LCD. The End.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by SlapTheGinkels

Did the same two years ago.

And never looked back.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 08:50 PM
link   
I gave away my TV about 8 months ago and haven't missed it one bit....

I was so bored with the run of the mill bad acted TV programmes. All the programmes started to blend into each other as if they were the same programme and I could not distinguish one from another. I got fed up with killing and murder, robbery, killing and more murder and police officers and the same old story lines...

After a while you tend to tune into other things. I tend to find myself reading, drawing and painting more. I am writing a book, going to the library and learning more about the stuff that is dealt with here on ATS. On a daily basis things of interest get posted on here and I look up books on the subject and find out more info and knowledge.

If you wanna have a TV moment, just go on to youtube and watch an old TV show that you haven't seen for a while or watch and listen to your favourite bands.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 08:50 PM
link   
I would give you a thousand flags if I could! Good for you!
I got rid of mine 2 1/2 years ago and I'm so glad I did. You
might have a little withdrawal but that will pass.
I use my TV as a computer monitor. It's awesome (and
much easier to see). There's ton's of good documentaries
on the internet. You won't be bored.

Trust me, you will not regret it. You will notice a level
of stress disappear...stress you didn't even know you
had. You won't have fear and violence and lies and weird
occult symbols being blasted at your subconscious continuously.
Give it a few weeks and you will really notice the difference.

Television is an awesome tool for mind control. They've spent
billions and billions of dollars studying, planning and implementing
methods to manipulate us. They absolutely know what
consciousness is, and television is their ultimate weapon.

DO YOUR OWN PROGRAMMING!!!

edit on 7-10-2011 by orbitbaby because: forgot something

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 09:01 PM
link   
We haven't had cable for over a year. We watch DVD's still from time to time, but I don't miss the channel flipping and nothing on, and the monthly bill.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 09:01 PM
link   
I NEVER watch tv. There are so many other things I cando that actually stimulate the brain.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Why did you do this to yourself? This isn't the Flintstones MAN. Go get your TV back.........if I were you I would go to best buy right now and get one...

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by SlapTheGinkels

I opted out of cable tv about three years ago also.My motivation for doing so was paying to watch frikin' commercials every 8 to 10 minutes (SCI-FI channel was the worst).

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 09:09 PM
link   

TV and Internet, both are not needed for well-being of a person.

However of these two, Internet is better, because I can choose what I want to see or learn. TV is one way, and I pretty much have no control over what I am seeing.

You did a good thing to get rid of TV.

Please read my thread 'Vedic civilization ...".

I can tell you a technique to use your time in a good way.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by dezertdog

That's the reason I gave up cable.. I was paying for crap and I was so sick of the commercials. I also never got my news from TV.. I'll never pay for cable again and like I said I can download any TV show I like without the annoying commercials but I mostly use it for my movies that I own as I'm a huge movie buff. I still even collect and watch LaserDiscs.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by vedatruth

I'd love the link to the thread and also yes, do tell me your idea. I'm always open minded.

(and for all, forgot to mention WHY I got rid of the tv. I have no job, and my 300dollar rent was due for my apt. It was get rid of the tv or lose my home. OBVIOUSLY it was a no brainer despite my initial saying of 'now i'm wondering WHY I did it.) it was more cuz I was like..... in denial I suppose. I paid good money for it - but yes, i knew all along that saving my home was more important. now i have a month to find a job and get money coming in. GOD Willing I will.
edit on 7-10-2011 by sarra1833 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   
I just bought a 55 inch Sony Bravia LED TV And I am as happy as pig in poo. Full surround sound, Blue Ray and all the cool toys. It is 3D capable and runs at 240hrz so I can play my favorite video game LARGE!!!
I am bought the best HD Dish system available and I am going tie in my high end gaming laptop and everything else I can think of...... Music, video, gaming and ATS all larger than life.

And I still do not think I will have more than a couple of years to enjoy it before the SHTF..................... But hey at least I will have memories of what it was like before the crash.........

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 01:19 AM
link   
reply to post by SkyMuerte

that may be the ONE reason i go and get another huge screen tv: for playing fallout 3, fallout New Vegas, the upcoming skyrim and fallout 4 and so on. xD But for watching tv? Nah.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 01:20 AM
link   

Sarra, I pray to God that you get a job in one month. Please be flexible while searching for the job.

If you get a job, please send me a message, and I shall tell you a meditation technique.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 01:43 AM
link   
Glad to see you have got rid of it.
With all the BS that's on there now....

"I only watch it for the Documentaries"

will eventually replace

"I only read it for the articles"

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 02:02 AM
link   
I remember a sci-fi short story from back in the eighties
that described a man wandering deserted city streets at night
as though he were the last man on earth.

The police eventually stopped him and asked him what he was doing.
He wasn't sure.
They took him home and put him in back in front of the TV.

If I need to know anything about TV I just ask someone.

David Grouchy
edit on 8-10-2011 by davidgrouchy because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join