It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UFO evidence.. A look back into history..

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Modern ufology is generally thought to have been born in 1947 with the famous Arnold sighting. The fact is that people have been seeing unidentified objects in the sky for thousands of years. Many of these sightings can probably be explained by natural phenomenon, athough there are many that sound like modern UFO sightings. A good example is in the bible when it tells the story of Ezekiel's vision.

Ezekiel 1:4
I looked, and I saw a windstorm coming out of the north—an immense cloud with flashing lightning and surrounded by brilliant light. The center of the fire looked like glowing metal,

UFO's in the bible.

Ancient Astronauts
In the 60's and 70's the ancient astronaut movement gained popularity. This was led by the swiss author Erich Von Daniken and his 1968 book 'Chariots of the gods'

Chariots of the Gods? Unsolved Mysteries of the Past is a book written in 1968 by Erich von Däniken. It involves the hypothesis that the technologies and religions of many ancient civilizations were given to them by ancient astronauts who were welcomed as gods.

Evidence for this theory includes ancient mayan drawings that appear to show men in rocket ships, and ancient rock paintings in Australia, Peru and Italy that apear to show men in helmets.

This cave painting date back to approx 3,000 B.C and are from Kimberley, Australia

This cave painting is from Tassili, Sahara Desert in North Africa. It dates back to 6000 B.C. (Notice the flying disk in the sky)
Source (includes other pictures)

It has also been suggested that Jesus and other leading religious figures were spacemen that descended to Earth.

Supporters of the ET hypothesis believe that ancient UFO sightings prove Aliens have been visiting the Earth for thousands of years...But of course there is an alternative and skeptical look at the theory. For instance von Danikens reproductions of Mayan drawings, which clearly showed a spaceship, were said to be edited versions of the originals, altered to promote his own interpretation. The rock paintings of "spacemen" are said to be showing humans in headdresses or masks.

The earliest recorded ufo sighting is believed by some to be allegedly reported in an egyptian papyrus from the reign of Thutmose III (c.1500 bce)

High and wide in the sky was the position from which these fire circles came and went. The army of the Pharaoh looked on with him in their midst. It was after supper. Then these fire circles ascended higher into the sky..

Tulli Papyrus

-400 BC India: From the Mahabbarata. Blazing discs burned and destroyed an entire city and its inhabitants.

-332 BC Phoenicia, Tyre: During the siege of the trade capital of Phoenicia by the Greeks a fleet of flying shields is described as plunged from the sky and crashed upon the city walls.

-329 BC Alexander the great

The first recorded incident regarding Alexander the Great and UFO's was recorded in 329BC. Alexander decided to invade India and was attempting to cross the river Indus to engage the Indian army when "gleaming silver shields" swooped down and made several passes over the battle.

These "gleaming silver shields" had the effect of startling his cavalry horses, causing them to stampede. They also had a similar effect on the enemies' horses and elephants so it was difficult to ascertain whose side these "gleaming silver shields" were on. Nevertheless, after exiting the battle victoriously Alexander decided to not proceed any further into India.

ufo.whipnet.org...

The Roman author Julius Obsequens, lived in the fourth century A.D., he compiled a book called Prodigorium liber, which describes many peculiar phenomena, some of which have been interpreted as UFO sightings.

216 B.C. Things like ships were seen in the sky over Italy... At Arpi (180 Roman miles, east of Rome, in Apulia) a round shield was seen in the sky. At Capua, the sky was all on fire, and one saw figures like ships...

99 B.C. When C. Murius and L. Valerius were consuls, in Tarquinia, there fell in different places.... a thing like a flaming torch, and it came suddenly from the sky. Towards sunset, a round object like a globe, or round or circular shield took its path in the sky, from west to east.

90 B.C. In the territory of Spoletium (65 Roman miles north of Rome, in Umbria) a globe of fire, of golden colour, fell to the earth, gyrating. It then seemed to increase in size, rose from the earth, and ascended into the sky, where it obscured the disc of the sun, with its brilliance. It revolved towards the eastern quadrant of the sky.

www.rense.com...

-42 BC Rome: From Prodigia of Julius Obsequens, “Something like a sort of weapon, or missile, rose with a great noise from the earth and soared into the sky.”

Full timeline 45,000 BC - 9 BC
Timeline of sightings from 60 BC to 927 AD

Another fascinating story to support the ancient astronaut theory is that of the Dogon tribe in Africa.

The myths of the Dogon tribesmen of Mall, West Africa, contain astronomical knowledge which the native people could have neither learned by themselves nor guessed.

Dogon legends speak of Jupiter's four moons and Saturn's rings, which were not seen by human beings until the invention of the telescope.

They speak of the star Sirius and of a pair of invisible companions. One of them circles Sirius every fifty years, the legends declare, and is made of a metal that is the heaviest thing in the universe.
Astronomers have discovered that such an object (called "Sirius-B") does exist but only the most sophisticated and sensitive instruments -- unavailable, of course, to the Dogons -- can detect it.

from The Sirius Mystery, by James Oberg

Another proponent for the theory is The Nazca Lines

The Nazca Lines are a series of ancient geoglyphs located in the Nazca Desert in southern Peru.

scholars believe the Nazca Lines were created by the Nazca culture between 400 and 650 AD.

The hundreds of individual figures range in complexity from simple lines to stylized hummingbirds, spiders,

en.wikipedia.org...

www.bibliotecapleyades.net...
The image above is said to depict a spaceship/plane and helicopter from the Temple of Osiris at Abydos
An article that debunks them

IA tablet of clay, uncovered in the Near East many years ago. On the tablet, the Sumerians, the earliest known inhabitants of the Middle East, jotted down something that looked like a solar system. Earth was there, and Saturn, and Jupiter

link
edit on 7/10/11 by Misterlondon because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   
927 AD - 1847 AD
There are several reports from medieval sources of 'sky ships' although it is difficult to determine whether these are folklore tales or actual sightings. one famous report from a 9th century bishop of lyon.. Dagobard. He talked of "ships navigating on the clouds" "sky sailors" who had fallen from their ships and even such sailors swimming down their anchor cables to the ground and being unable to breath.

In 1211 in Tilbury, UK.. this story was recorded by an English chronicler of historic events

There happened in the borough of Cloera, one Sunday, while the people were at Mass, a marvel. In this town is a church dedicated to St. Kinarus. It befell that an anchor was dropped from the sky, with a rope attached to it, The people rushed out of the church and saw in the sky a ship with men on board, floating before the anchor cable, and they saw a man leap overboard and jump down to the anchor, as if to release it. He looked as if he were swimming in water. The folk rushed up and tried to seize him; but the Bishop forbade the people to hold the man, for it might kill him, he said. The man was freed, and hurried up to the ship, where the crew cut the rope and the ship sailed out of sight.

science.howstuffworks.com...

This 14th century Fresco painting entitled 'The Crucifixion' depicts a man in some kind of craft looking back over his shoulder. From Kosovo / Yugoslavia.

UFO sightings timeline from 1015 AD-1492 AD

Medieval tapestry depicting the virgin mary. (no date)

We also have many reports from medieval Japan.. where they actually came up with a term similar to "flying saucer".. 700 years before it was used in the west.

Ancient documents describe an unusual shining object seen the night of October 27, 1180, as a flying "earthenware vessel." After a while the object, which had been heading northeast from a mountain in Kii province, changed its direction and vanished below the horizon, leaving a luminous trail.

www.rense.com...

Close up of UFO in 15th Century Painting of the Madonna and Saint Giovannino, in the Palazzo Vecchio in Florence. 15th Century

This strange coin (below) dates from 1680 France. The Latin words translate = "It's here at an opportune time". Is it a flying saucer?

on September 12, 1271, the famous priest Nichiren was about to be beheaded at Tatsunokuchi, Kamakura, when there appeared in the sky an object like a full moon, shiny and bright. Needless to say, the officials panicked and the execution was not carried out.

www.rense.com...
There are a few stories like this where it is alleged UFO's intervened with humans at important points and changed history.. the story of Alexander The Great is definitely historically significant.

1486 AD by Carlo Crivelli called "The Annunciation" on display at the the National Gallery in London. An intense beam of light is going right through the building and onto the head of what we believe is Mary.

UFO sighting time line 1517 AD - 1749 AD

1322 A.D. In the first hour of the night of Novr. 4... there was seen in the sky over Uxbridge, England, a pile (pillar) of fire the size of a small boat, pallid and livid in colour. It rose from the south, crossed the sky with a slow and grave motion, and went north. Out of the front of the pile, a fervent red flame burst forth with great beams of light. Its speed increased, and it flew thro' the air....

www.rense.com...

"Baptism of Jesus" by Aert De Gelder in about 1710 AD

UFO sighting timeline 1751 AD - 1847 AD

This is a 17th century fresco and is located in the Svetishoveli Cathedral in Mtskheta, Georgia. Notice the two saucer shaped craft either side of Christ.

Lumley’s account of a flying saucer that crashed into Cadotte Pass was among the most explicit and remains a mystery to this day. It is said that debris from the crash may still be up there, but few there has been no findings since. Nevertheless the story has remained one of the most mysterious of the 1800s.

socyberty.com...

TO BE CONTINUED... (at a later date)
edit on 7/10/11 by Misterlondon because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   
My two favorites are when supposedly Alexander the Greats army was harassed by a glowing flying "Shield" and the "Light" Christopher Columbus saw moving underwater then rise off in the distance and fly away

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
My two favorites are when supposedly Alexander the Greats army was harassed by a glowing flying "Shield" and the "Light" Christopher Columbus saw moving underwater then rise off in the distance and fly away

the Alexander the great story definitely would have changed the course of history.. maybe that was the point? (if it is true of course)..

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 07:07 PM
link   
This is very fascinating indeed, and I look forward to to reading more in the future. Thank you for your information!

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Thanks for your effort, good post mate.

There is compelling evidence strewn across our history but so many choose not to see it.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

There exists no scholarly reference for what has been claimed about the "adventures" of Alexander and the flying sheilds.

Most of the stuff in the OP is simply crap.

From the link in the OP about the Tulli papyrus:

The papyrus is lost, its guardian Alberto Tulli was apparently at best an amateur Egyptologist, and its translator Prince de Rachelwitz remains the only authority upon whose word alone we must trust as an accurate report of its contents. I think that it is safe to say that the authenticity of the "Tulli Papyrus" can be dismissed due to a lack of any solid evidence that it ever existed at all.

IOW, that's not a pic of this papyrus.

I'm sure people have seen strange things in the sky for millenia. After all, we see strange things in the sky today, don't we?

That's about it. Wild claims don't add anything to the subject.

Harte

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 12:16 AM
link   
I love these types of threads. It shows that UFO's have been around a lot longer than some believe. Thanks for your time and effort!

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 12:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Misterlondon

There are a lot of UFO references in Chinese text also, here are two threads that I posted:

"Father of China" Saw UFO in 1916

Alien Abduction Described in 500yr. Old Chinese Manuscript

Also let's not forget about Utsurobune of ancient Japan: Japan's Utsuro Bune Encounter 1803

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 12:31 AM
link   
Regarding the image from the Temple of Osiris at Abydos:

This has long been proven to be caused by an inscription which has been made over a previous older inscription. As time has eroded the inscription the previous one has shown through resulting in the image which has been published in numerous documentaries.
There is another recent thread on this site regarding the "Revelation of the Pyramids" Part 1-7 in which this is explained more fully.

It is also a point worth noting that the 'modern day' sighting in 1947 of "Flying Saucers' were never ever described as "Flying Saucers" but that they flew in a way similar to a saucer being thrown over a pond. The actual shape described was that of a semi circle with two smaller semi circles (batwing) effect at the rear.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 01:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Harte

The point of this thread is to look at various UFO sightings throughout history.. nowhere am i making claims or trying to convince anybody of the existence of UFO's. ive just presented a small part of the information out there and people can make up their own minds.

There exists no scholarly reference for what has been claimed about the "adventures" of Alexander and the flying sheilds.

that i can neither confirm or deny, im sure though in your quick google search you have conclusively proven that none exist.. Anyway that doesnt change the fact there is a well known "legend" out there involving Alexander and a UFO sighting. why should that be ignored?

Most of the stuff in the OP is simply crap.

In your opinion

From the link in the OP about the Tulli papyrus:

I think that it is safe to say that the authenticity of the "Tulli Papyrus" can be dismissed due to a lack of any solid evidence that it ever existed at all.

You complain because the link is honest...?

The "tulli papyrus" is debatable hence including that link.. the point of its inclusion which is stated in the op is because it is relevant to the history of the subject.. it is often claimed to be the first recorded UFO sighting.

anyway is it not true that every single UFO case to date has been written of due to lack of evidence? That is why we have to look at all the evidence in a fair and balanced way.. whilst trying to paint a bigger picture..

IOW, that's not a pic of this papyrus.

Its the picture i found whilst researching it.. if it is an incorrect image used then i hold my hands up.. honest mistake.

I'm sure people have seen strange things in the sky for millenia.

Is it not clear this is the point of the thread?

After all, we see strange things in the sky today, don't we?

Yes we do.. everyday there are reports, images and videos popping up. one fundamental difference though is during a time which i covered there were supposed to be NO flying vehicles on the planet.. thats what makes these old sightings more compelling.

That's about it. Wild claims don't add anything to the subject.

where have i made wild claims? as already stated im just presenting the information, people are entitled to do more research on any story i have covered and come to their own conclusion..

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   
strange lights in the sky for centuries!
we may never understand these mysteries!
good work though, OP! many many pictures and references

haters stop being jerks pls, this represents like,
a lot of work

the De Gelder is one of my favourite arts

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   
I draw aliens all the time. Humans have imaginations...get over it

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Sorry for the bump

Evidence for this theory includes ancient mayan drawings that appear to show men in rocket ships, and ancient rock paintings in Australia, Peru and Italy that apear to show men in helmets.

We call them Wandjana (not to be confused with Wadjala lol) and there are even members of the indigenous community that are admit that these "beings" are extra-terrestrial.

To these people, the Wandjina is the supreme Creator and a symbol of fertility and rain. Their ancestors have been painting Wandjina (also spelled wanjina) and Gyorn Gyorn (also called Gwion Gwion) figures in rock art sites scattered throughout the western Kimberley for millennia. This is the oldest continuous sacred painting movement on the planet.

Read more: www.creativespirits.info...

as indigenous stories are only passed down orally, there are some variations--also they are a bit of a taboo topic in some communities. A story that was passed to me by a well respected member of the community was that these beings lived on earth during the "dreamtime" and then "went home [to their own planet]".

as I can offer nothing concrete to say for certain that these are extra terrestrial I will not continue to rant about ancient rock art.... Im going to find my copy of Chariots of the Gods and re-read it

EDIT: I have seen "saucer like objects" in rock art with Wandjanas that do give the impression of UFO's but I cant hyperlink a remote cave I visited over 20 years ago.

www.perthnow.com.au...

hope its not too off topic
edit on 9-10-2011 by cartenz because: they are aliens!

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 08:41 AM
link   

This picture reminds of me of a picture of a busy mos eisley star port.

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 08:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Misterlondon

Regarding your first image on the second post.You said the wrong country.I'ts not Kosovo it's Serbia as far as i know...

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Great post. Well researched and presented, nothing crap about it. If people refuse to see the evidence that's right in front of them, that's their choice. This just re enforces the idea that we have been visited for thousands of years and imo, continue to be.

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Nice Post, full of good information. You really have to study history to understand where we are today.

I have no doubt that this UFO phenomena has a lot to the creation of modern man. It seems that most gods come from the heavens in some vehicle.

I would like to share three UFO incidents, 2 in the Middle Ages and one in 1930.

All three are intriguing because they provide eye witness evidence in the form of either written report, print and a very interesting photo.

The first of the two actually depict a UFO battle, the first was in Nuremburg, Germany in 1561 and is discribed in this excerpt, included is the image and link to the story.

At sunrise on the 14th April 1561, the citizens of Nuremberg beheld "A very frightful spectacle." The sky appeared to fill with cylindrical objects from which red, black, orange and blue white disks and globes emerged. Crosses and tubes resembling cannon barrels also appeared whereupon the objects promptly "began to fight one another." This event is depicted in a famous 16th century woodcut by Hans Glaser.

Nuremberg 1561 UFO Battle

The second occurred 5 years later in Basel, Switzerland, read below the following excerpt, included is an image and link to the story.

A 16th century woodcutting depicts this scene in which dark spheres were witnessed hovering over the town of Basel, Switzerland in 1566. The spheres appeared at sunrise, 'Many became red and fiery, ending by being consumed and vanishing', wrote Samuel Coccius in the local newspaper on this date.

Basel 1566 UFO Battle

Finally, the one that really creeps me out is the 1930 account and photo from Alaska, the account is strange and the photo is down right hair raising eerie!

The picture was taken in the early 1930s by the sender's grandfather, who lived in Alaska. The entitiy was first seen when the grandfather was on his way to a lake. He chased the entity until he got close enough to take this one picture. It was some four months before the photograph was developed, being in in a remote, sparsely populated area. The sender received the picture from his grandfather only last week. His grandfather died the day after giving him the photo, and relating his story.

Original Picture Size

Close Up and Crop #1

Close Up and Crop #2

1930 Alaskan Alien Photo

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by cartenz

hope its not too off topic

Not at all, it is completely relevant to the thread thanks for the links and additional information...

A story that was passed to me by a well respected member of the community was that these beings lived on earth during the "dreamtime" and then "went home [to their own planet]".

i have heard a few of the dreamtime stories, some of them are really interesting and do sound like they involve extra terrestrial beings.. there is also a massive hotspot around the northern territory which is not to far from the Kimberley region.

reply to post by Nikola014

Regarding your first image on the second post.You said the wrong country.I'ts not Kosovo it's Serbia as far as i know...

thanks for pointing that out.. my mistake, unfortunately i cant change it now..

reply to post by mel1962

i appreciate the input mel1962.. nice one..

the basel story was one i wanted to include but i was limited to space.. i had to drop it. the Nuremburg sighting is also interesting..

thanks to everyone else for for the input and positive comments..

edit on 9/10/11 by Misterlondon because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   
These types of threads come and go quite often here. And they always seem to show the same 6 or 7 paintings that the poster claims is showing UFO's from ancient times.

Well there's a major problem with this approach. Mainly, you're using art as a basis for evidence. And art is completely subjective relative to who is observing it. In other words just because you see something that to you looks like a UFO of some sort doesn't make it so. And someone else could see something totally different or interpret a different way. That's the beauty of art. And unless we can bring back the original artists from the dead and ask them what it is they were depicting then it's all just highly speculative evidence.

I think if you do some proper research on these paintings you may find that the "UFOs" are actually just ordinary objects like shields or religious allegories.

And in the case of the ancient cave paintings- isn't it a bit ignorant of us to suggest we know what it is they were scraping on those walls some 8000 yrs ago?

<<   2 >>

join