It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Titanium treasure found on Moon

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by iforget
reply to post by Illustronic

Having these resources on the moon is good when we start to think of the moon as a space station. The figures you post show how valuable these resources are being already out of Earth's gravity well. It may never pay to send them back to earth yet it has to be an advantage to have them basically already in orbit.

Will TPTB use this in part as a rallying point to stop the economic melt down and forge ahead to the moon ? Hmmm
Time to pull a rabbit out of the hat ?

Now would be a good time for a bit more disclosure , or wait till it is just about to fall off the face of the planet ?
edit on 7-10-2011 by watchdog8110 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   

However, the moon has very low gravity. I was reading a suggestion of using a mag-lev rail system on the moon to fling cargo holds full of Helium 3 back to earth. Now that would be worth Billions.

Now they say Titanium too?

WOOT!
edit on 7-10-2011 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Thats another point, if you don't have to bring your fuel with you to boost a payload back then it remains to be seen if mining on the moon is feasible

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by iforget

IF we don't blow ourselves up sooner or later we will be mining on the Moon IMO. It's a dead rock. So why not? Besides, you just never know what we might find buried up there

edit on 7-10-2011 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by watchdog8110

The fact here is that nobody is going to invest the time, money and effort to do anything even here on Earth, that doesn't reap some sort of reward or profit for their undertaking. This is who and what we are as a species. Working our tails to the bone for the good of humanity, as opposed to our own personal good, has always worked well in theory but rarely ever produced much physical result.

History has countless examples of this kind of thing and so makes it abundantly clear that fame and fortune inspire more advancement than philosophy and/or ideology. What is right and wrong has little bearing on the evolution of the human condition.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Solar sail technology in moving the payloads back to our rock . No fuel needed there .

Keep it simple and keep it clean , no need to get all fancy do we . It is just from the moon to earth .

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by redoubt
reply to post by watchdog8110

The fact here is that nobody is going to invest the time, money and effort to do anything even here on Earth, that doesn't reap some sort of reward or profit for their undertaking. This is who and what we are as a species. Working our tails to the bone for the good of humanity, as opposed to our own personal good, has always worked well in theory but rarely ever produced much physical result.

History has countless examples of this kind of thing and so makes it abundantly clear that fame and fortune inspire more advancement than philosophy and/or ideology. What is right and wrong has little bearing on the evolution of the human condition.

So very true , we as a species have not come to a breaking point . Hunter , gatherers we are , some need bigger trophies on the wall than the next person does . Stroking the human ego .

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   
In reality the article can be seen as a puff piece of news for the masses then anything of value . Since the worlds space program is still in low orbit as we are aware of .

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

To this post and your one before, a high powered maglev launch could be feasible maybe, and maybe we set up a huge net in the Pacific to catch the cargo so we don't need submarines.
Of course I jest, an ISS could intercept the cargo on a slow trajectory like the recent NASA lunar Grail mission that will take a slow approach to the moon over three months. This saves energy, and requires less speed, at a proper trajectory it may approach the ISS at near velocity as the ISS is traveling, (haven't researched the numbers as yet, this I haven't thought of). Thus a lunar base may not be exemplarily exclusive for deep space launches. We could have a LEO factory maybe, intercepting raw materials from the moon. How about that?

We could support a LEO factory much easier than a lunar factory by a magnitude of say 220,000 some miles difference. (Of course we would have to get the cargo carriers to the moon first) Always a roadblock.

I don't normally delve into speculative theories, I suppose I found intrigue in the thought.

I suddenly feel a bit dirtier.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 06:53 PM
link   

What I intended to say from the start was that we have huge surface mines all over earth, and in a satellite view of our home none are detectable from space, in fact the only detectable manmade structure on earth from space are, partly manmade, damed reservoirs (its a tall tail that the China wall is visible from space, think about it though, if the China wall is visible from space why isn't I-70?) I-70 is much wider, at parts very wide, and uninterrupted unlike the China wall(s).

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   
More interesting stuff about the moon, and what may have been going on there for quite some time..

Ever since their first day of landing on the Moon, the Germans started boring - and tunneling under the surface, and by the end of the war there was a small Nazi research base on the Moon. The free energy tachyon drive craft of the Haunebu-1 and 2 type were used after 1944 to haul people, materiel and the first robots to the construction site on the Moon.

the above is an excerpt from the works of Vladimir Terziski entitled Half Century of a German Moon base

Following the belief that the Germans had gained advanced technologies in the early 1940's (possibly from recovered crashed UFOs or through contact with an alien culture), this article by Vladimir Terziski, President of the American Academy of Dissident Sciences, is a study of the Germans involvement in the exploration of the Moon and Mars.

more info in link..

www.bibliotecapleyades.net...

I realize that some of you may not take this as legit.. but this guy was president of The American Academy of Dissident Scientists.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 07:23 PM
link   
NASA SP-413: Space Settlements - A Design Study

www.nas.nasa.gov...

a dead link , but what have they achieved through the NASA Advanced Supercomputing Division to design and functionality of bases on the moon to be able to get to the Titanium ?

ntrs.nasa.gov...

Check out page 74 of the pdf file

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   
all of the anti-gravity / secret base crap aside, the Moon has a lot more than just Titanium on it.

There is also billions of dollars worth of gold, nickel, platinum, silver, diamond, iron and helium-3.

Millions of meteorites have slammed into the moon over the course of it's existance. Every single crater marks the location of a cache of untapped resources.

The soil itself is also permeated with Helium-3, which can be extracted through heat.

Now that water has been discovered on the Moon, it should be possible to create the fuel needed to send payloads of material back to Earth. Also to create oxygen and drinking water for work crews.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   
So where do I sign up ? A change of scenery isn't such a bad thing .

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by allenidaho

The 'water' they site is in rocks, the most abundant element in the universe is hydrogen, and the third most abundant element in the universe is oxygen. I think some writers and scientists take a bit of 'artistic license' when they use common words to describe findings. A free radicle oxygen atom wants to bind to nearly anything it gets close to, assumptions run amuck when detections indicate some of the most abundant elements in proximity together, it's not like you will find a bottle of Perrier or something, its an exaggerated theorist's opinion. Nothing more. Maybe someone near the end of their constructive career that wants some kind of a 401 K boost for retirement. I hate all of these kinds of ridiculous statements without verifiable supports.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by gabby2011

I realize that some of you may not take this as legit.. but this guy was president of The American Academy of Dissident Scientists.

What's the 'American Academy of Dissident Scientists'?

edit on 10/7/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by gabby2011

edit on 10/7/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

American Academy of Dissident Sciences, Culver City, CA: Studying a wide array of conspiracy theories, the Academy focuses on UFOs and the Illuminati. OOOOkkkkkkk

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Are you trying to say it would be impossible to extract water from the ice discovered on the moon? Seriously?

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

I honestly couldn't tell you phage.... but I found the information he talked about intriguing, and considering it mentioned mining being done on the moon for awhile now..I thought I'd throw it into the thread.

This guy seems to be well educated.

Here is a link on him, and an excerpt.

www.whale.to...

(Note: Vladimir Terziski is "...a Bulgarian born engineer and physicist, graduated Cum Laude from the Master of Science program of Tokai University in Tokyo in 1980. Served as a solar energy researcher, Bulgarian Academy of Sciences, before immigrating to the U.S. in 1984. [He is also an] International UFO researcher with command of English, Japanese, Russian, German, and Bulgarian [and] Creator/lecturer of UFOLOGY-101 course for University level attendance. - Branton)

edit on 7-10-2011 by gabby2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by allenidaho

Are you trying to say it would be impossible to extract water from the ice discovered on the moon? Seriously?

No I'm not. the short version is NASA scientists have experimented with ways of extracting water from rock deposits in the polar craters using a conventional home microwave oven.

The primary advantage of using that energy is that microwaves penetrate the soil, heating it from the inside out. The team found that when regolith is warmed from minus-150 degrees Celsius to minus-50 degrees, the water vapor pressure greatly increased. The simulated lunar vacuum drew the water vapor to the surface, permeating through the regolith particles. Then the water vapor collected on the cold trap and condensed back into ice. This process -- called sublimation -- uses heat to convert a solid into a gas and cools it to condense it back to a solid form without liquefaction.

Cooking up water

This does not invalidate the main point I was trying to make. Water, ice, is not native to the moon, it's been deposited there by comet impacts and can only exist in areas of the moon in permanent shadow from the sun, polar craters. And it's not exactly water ice, it's high hydrogen signatures and compounds called hydroxyl, which is one oxygen atom bound to one hydrogen atom. Not a bottle of Perrier, and not even H2O.

The moon has practically no atmosphere. Any light elements or compounds deposited on the lunar surface by possible out-gassing or comet fragments and meteorites are subject to direct exposure to the vacuum of space. Over the course of a lunar day, about 29 Earth days, all exposed surfaces of the moon are bathed in sunlight with daylight temperatures reaching up to 250° Fahrenheit (121° C.) Any ice exposed to sunlight for any length of time would turn into water vapor, break apart and be lost to space.

Water could only exist in areas of permanent shadow and those areas exist at the lunar poles. Some of these crater floors have not seen sunlight for possibly billions of years. Temperatures within these crates do not go above –280° F (-173° C) so they act as ‘cold traps’ where even light elements or compounds don’t have enough energy to evaporate.

LCROSS

The hydroxyl molecule consists of one atom of oxygen and one of hydrogen, and because water is basically a hydroxyl molecule with a second hydrogen atom added, detecting hydroxyl on the moon is an indication that water molecules are also present.

How much water might be present? The M3 (Moon Minerology Mapper (M3) instrument onboard Chandrayaan-1) instrument can only detect hydroxyl molecules if they are in the top 1-millimeter of the lunar surface. The measurements also suggest that about 1 metric ton of lunar surface has to be processed to extract 1 liter (0.26 gallons) of water.

Mini-RF mission outline is a good place to start to get the real poop about the water on the moon.

Bring a filter if you plan on drinking water from the moon. Water ice recently discovered in dust at the bottom of a crater near the moon's south pole is accompanied by metallic elements like mercury, magnesium, calcium, and even a bit of silver. Now you can add sodium to the mix, according to Dr. Rosemary Killen of NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Md.

LCROSS (once again).

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join