It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Computer Virus Hits U.S. Drone Fleet

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Computer Virus Hits U.S. Drone Fleet

www.wired.com

A computer virus has infected the cockpits of America’s Predator and Reaper drones, logging pilots’ every keystroke as they remotely fly missions over Afghanistan and other warzones.

The virus, first detected nearly two weeks ago by the military’s Host-Based Security System, has not prevented pilots at Creech Air Force Base in Nevada from flying their missions overseas. Nor have there been any confirmed incidents of classified information being lost or sent to an outside source. But the virus has resisted multiple efforts to remove it from Creech’s computers, network security specia
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   
If you follow my posts on the Area 51 forum, Creech has been adding all sorts of security devices to the base. Well apparently not enough!

Years ago before it was known they were controlling UAVs in theater from Creech, I was approached code 3 by base security for video taping the Thunderbirds practicing. This was off base. My reply was "You've got to be kidding...you think I'm a spy for the Blue Angels." They insisted I had to stop. I just went across the highway and videotaped from there.

www.wired.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   
theres a thread on this already but imma give you a flag
anyways.. sorry to bring the bad news..
actually 2 or three now..
www.abovetopsecret.com...
www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 7-10-2011 by popsmayhem because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Well.... Sounds like they need to get rid of Windows ROTFL

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Nah, you know what this REALLY sounds like? This sounds like a bunch of little geek sods with inch thick wrists and uniforms ought to go to the equipment shed, get some axes, and get up close, or go home. Theres no damned way you can key log an axe blade through the sternum.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   
How long until Haliburton takes one of these drones over and false flags themselves some great business opportunities?
edit on 7-10-2011 by rabidrabbit because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   
This is what happens when we get our computer chips from China.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Actually all I checked was the breaking news. I was going to post it on the Area 51 forum, but this cross posting gets out of hand.

Regarding the video being unencrypted, I've read the LA TImes FOIA that indirectly went into this, plus of course the original story where they were watching drone video from a satellite feed. I also tracked down the gear that the DoD uses in the field (various incarnations of the Rover). It is true some video goes out unencrypted. Much goes out over C-band, but that in itself is misleading. The Rover covers a range much wider than commercial satellite C-band, so they can stay away from frequencies that can be received by COTS (commercial off the shelf) receivers. In the situation in the LA TImes FOIA, the target was mobile in a small caravan in the middle of nowhere (and we're talking nowhere in Afghanistan). Even if they knew they were being watched by a drone, there wasn't a whole lot they could do about it. The soldier on the ground requested C-band analog because that gave the best image.

Now the drone video going over satellite in the clear is another story. I don't see much of an excuse for that since it could effect operational security. In some respect, just the presence of a few scrambled signals showing up on a satellite known to be used by the DoD (say Telstar 11) would be enough to make a terrorist worry.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 05:16 AM
link   
Looking around found this

caption with it said

Remember when you heard jihadi's were monitoring drone comms? Yeah, here's how #mapping_jihad

post data = 105 days ago from site

Thought it was intresting, anyone able to translate?

top topics

join