It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Discovery of 2 Bombs Cause School Evacuation in Maryland

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 12:33 PM
link   
A 14 year old from Middletown High School, Maryland, may face charges for the discovery of 2 pipe bombs found in his backpack at school. 1300 children were released from school after the discovery of the bombs and the suspected 14 year old was taken into custody.

WJZ.com
Middletown, MD (WJZ) A Middletown High School sophomore faces criminal charges for allegedly bringing two homemade pipe bombs to
school in his backpack.

The school was evacuated shortly before noon and the nearly 1,300 students were dismissed at 1 p.m. after another student tipped off an assistant principal to the danger, police and school officials said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

It appears that 2 other homemade explosive devices were found when the boys home was searched. The identity of the child has not been released because of his age, and it has not been decided whether he will be tried as a juvenile or an adult.

Both of the devices at the school, and the devices in the boys bedroom were disabled by bomb technicians.

The parents of the child are giving their full cooperation. He is being held for psychiatric evaluation at this time.

[edit on 28-8-2004 by deeprivergal]

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Jesus Christ!

I mean WTF 14 year olds bringing pipe bombs to school!?!?!

It was bad enough when they started shooting each other, now they want to blow each other up? Where are the kids parents in all this?

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Enough People, Lets stop blaming the parents and start scrutinizing teachers, guidance councelors, principals ..etc. If Colombine wasnt enough to open your eyes about what the real story is, Let me enlighten you with this.

As a former Maximum Security Juvenille Detention Center Officer let me be blunt... Kids that act out horrific events of violence in schools do this in "FEAR". thats right these are not the school bullies who are acting these things out but the kids who are bullied, singled out, and not popular etc. These kids fear going to school in a way you would if you were locked in a jail cell for 8 hours a day and were being beat on, tormented etc. I feel this is not that parents responsibility but the schools. Teachers, Guidance Councelors ..etc Know what is going on with all the kids and never once try to fix or resolve these issue's, Its just easier for them to blame the parents and collect thier pay checks. If you want to fix this problem make the teachers accountable for detering these acts among students, teach the kids that bullying is wrong and show them the effects it has on kids as well as adults who have lived through this. Show them by helping someone out that is a bit diffrent than them help to make them a better person.

And yes, I was picked on to at one point in my life as I am sure many of you were. So instead of blaming the parents think about where the problem is stemming from and how to prevent this.

Just my thoughts as usual.

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Justmytype
.. Kids that act out horrific events of violence in schools do this in "FEAR". thats right these are not the school bullies who are acting these things out but the kids who are bullied, singled out, and not popular etc. These kids fear going to school in a way you would if you were locked in a jail cell for 8 hours a day and were being beat on, tormented etc.

Just my thoughts as usual.

And interesting thoughts they are, probably because there is truth in what you say. I remember just after Columbine, a few of us were discussing the whys and what ifs. One of the women sat there quietly for a moment and said - I know how those two boys felt, I know the rage and helplessness they felt. She said that while in junior high she went to bed nights thinking of all the ways she would like to get back at those who tormented her daily. She said that it was an obsession and a fantasy she carried with her for years. I couldn't believe what I was hearing - this sucessful and self-assured woman understood and even sympathized with these two killers because of her own childhood demons.

So why didn't she ever act on her emotions and why do others? IMO that is the question that needs to be answered. What is the trigger? And how do we better train parents, educators, hell, other kids to recognize a kid that's going to act out?

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Bleys
In order to figure out which kid will act this out is by knowing how he/she is feeling inside. Its almost as if you took two borderline kids ready to commit suicide but then spoke to them. From what they are saying and feeling you could make a determination on which will probably act this out to which one is just about there but hasnt reached that point. This can be treated in the same manner, If you are being taunted daily and you become paranoid and afraid to go to school, most kids stop going, cut classes and start hanging out with all the others who are doing the same, while the bullies which are normally the well off popular Jock kids minus your occasional badass burnout that most likely sticks up for the kids being picked on an mostly attacks the jocks..etc. They most likely will not act upon things in this nature because there friends whom have elected to cut all the time seem to give them a safe haven, while the other kids who are being taunted, that are afraid to cut because of parental pressures vs the torment they recieve at school seem to feel they have no out and its really sad to say but they are the ones who normally react in a violent way because to them it is as if this is the only way they can get rid of there fears. I personally think the schools should really address this situation in a positive manner to acheive a great place for kids to go to learn. No toleration of Bullying period. Make all kids accopuntable for what they do and say in school, but not just by suspending them, make them learn about the person they are bullying and why? This might help them to understand that If I am diffrent then you and like diffrent things that this is not a bad thing but a good thing and they all can learn a little more about each other instead of being afraid themselves to accept something that is diffrent.

In actuality you cannot learn by being the same you must accept something from not within the norm to learn Correct??

Just my thoughts
Ry

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 02:18 PM
link   
I think we are more or less on the same page here.

I think we can identify those who are borderline and offer help. Will it help in every circumstance - no, but it's a damn sight better than what we are doing right now.

And I agree that bullying needs to be a priority issue with zero tolerance.

The only caveat I would have is conformist conditioning. I don't want a "touchy-feely" society that disregards individualism. Respect, can and should be taught right along with reading and writing.

Bleys

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 02:25 PM
link   
You are so correct on that one. People should learn and practice to "Respect" ones own beliefs, actions, decisions, clothes, music, dreams etc. I just have one important point to make to all who are reading this thread and its something I have always believed in my whole life.

People will either like me for me or they wont, the ones that do, will always have me as a friend, the ones that dont, I feel real bad for because they have no clue what they are missing out on and this just shows Ignorance.

Yes A True believer "DENY IGNORANCE"

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 02:34 PM
link   

So instead of blaming the parents think about where the problem is stemming from and how to prevent this.

I agree that the schools are just out of control, but parents really should be aware of what their kids are up to. I don't think I could have built a pipe bomb without my parents suspecting something. Hell, it was hard enough to get the "Playboy" magazines in the house. The truth is that this is a systemic failure of the highest order and we better get ahold of it or everything will fly apart in a generation.

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Hell, it was hard enough to get the "Playboy" magazines in the house.

Not to sound harsh and I am assuming when you grew up only one of your parents worked. In reality 2 parents have to work now to support a family, the expenses of living are now ridiculous to the fact that more family's are splitting up everyday because of financial hardship and realistically no time for family.. This personally is not a parents fault but societies and if It where possible to rewind the clock and go back to when we were kids, well hell, life would be so much more simplar,families would stay together and there would be less anger in the world. But yes, you still would have bullies to address.

All I am saying is, If both Parents work, you cant be there to oversee everything your child is doing and this is just fact!

Ry

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 03:00 PM
link   

In reality 2 parents have to work now to support a family, the expenses of living are now ridiculous to the fact that more family's are splitting up everyday because of financial hardship and realistically no time for family.. This personally is not a parents fault but societies

All I am saying is, If both Parents work, you cant be there to oversee everything your child is doing and this is just fact!

Ry

You can't blame "society." This is a riefication of the most egregious kind. Everything boils down to individual values and those values taken collectively are the societal values. When people decide that parental involvement is more important than conspicuous consumption, "society" will change.

[edit on 04/8/28 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 03:10 PM
link   
There have always been kids that have been picked on in school and there have always been bullies. When I was a kid we didn't have kids at our school going around killing one another or blowing each other up.

This has only been happening since we have stopped teachers and parents from bestowing good old fashioned disipline on their kids and parents quit listening to their kids and teaching them morals because instead they're too busy with work etc...

We knew that if we did something bad in school we'd get the tar beat out of us and that thought was enough to keep most of us in line. Now if a teacher or a parent paddles a kid they go to jail for child abuse.

Some kids have problems that can be treated best with compassion. Just today in the news there was a story about a 10 year old that shot his dad many times and killed him as he sat in the back seat of his fathers 4Runner when he came for his weekend visit. His parents were seperated and according to police there was a history of calls to the house for domestic disputes. This kid has much deeper problems that will take time to sort out.

On the other side of the coin is the punk kid that thinks he can get away with whatever because no one is going to do anything to him for his actions. I think the kid in this post fits into this catogory. In this case I think that even though the teachers, and most likely the far to busy to spend time talking to their kid parents played a role in this, most of the fault lies in the kid feeling he could do whatever he wanted without concequenses.

Just my thoughts, I'm no expert.

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by TexasConspiracyNut
...most of the fault lies in the kid feeling he could do whatever he wanted without concequenses.

This is very true. When there is no clear causal link between actions and consequences, discipline becomes a problem. I see it all the time with kids who have never had anyting tougher than a time out. It is the kids who suffer, but magnified by thousand and even millions, it affects us all.

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Your thoughts are definately valid but just remeber this, again I am assuming you are of my age group 34 and up, when we were kids yes we were scared #less to mess up but we also knew when we went home after school you had to deal with a parent. Now kids come home to nobody and yes you hit the nail right on the head.

This has only been happening since we have stopped teachers and parents from bestowing good old fashioned disipline on their kids and parents quit listening to their kids and teaching them morals because instead they're too busy with work etc...

There too busy with work because they now have no option !!! People dont work all the time because they like it, They do it to support there families..

Just a thought.. Oh yeah, 10 year old shooting his Dad is really sad and I highly doubt it was a punk kid that wanted to make pipe bombs.. So do me a favor Deny Ignorance and see the real issues.

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Not all parents work all the time because they have too. I know this one guy, he has two boys that are 12 and 14. The kids run the streets all night. He makes 350K plus a year. I asked him why he worked 18 hours a day 7 days a week. He said, "He who has the most toys in the end wins." Go figure.

Also I agree the kid that shot his dad has problems. I never said he was a punk. I said I think the pipe bomb kid was most likely a punk who figured he could do whatever he wanted.

new topics

top topics

join