It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Survival - Communication Go Kit

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Too bad their is no Lafitte Electronics. I still own a Lafitte CB that has tubes in it. But it does require crystals to make it work. Good Cheap kit for everything.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Papagrune
Too bad their is no Lafitte Electronics. I still own a Lafitte CB that has tubes in it. But it does require crystals to make it work. Good Cheap kit for everything.

"How to build a crystal radio set". might be a good addition to the B.O.B.

Can you just find crystals on the beach?

I'm all over this one. I will go to the local gem shop and pick up a piece of galena. The boyscout motto is be prepared and a piece of galena? How much could that cost? 5 bucks?

upload.wikimedia.org...

edit on 7-10-2011 by Rocketman7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Ok here is my shopping cart.

This radio and all acessories

A little over 200 bucks.

The only thing else I think I might need is the cloning cable since it makes sense to buy two radios. One for a sidekick.

But I am still unsure if I am doing the right thing because the Yeasu has weather band, and aircraft band, public service channels, and blue tooth and APRS for data,
www.yaesu.com...

Am I really doing the right thing? Do I need aircraft channel, public service are those also in the first radio?

Should I get one cheap one and one Yeasu instead of two cheap ones?

Give the cheap one to the sidekick.? ';
HELP

(good lord, I just spent an hour trying to join ham forums, to ask this question. lol And well, I am still nowhere. But at least I am keeping it simple. Or I would be if I understood even 1 of the one thousand associated acronyms, that are part of ham radio. I checked usenet, no posts on ham radio for weeks. Houston we have a real communication problem in this world.)

edit on 7-10-2011 by Rocketman7 because: typo

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   
This is you guys

Building a Superstation

Glance at the free ebook. In fact download it. Great pictures.

And this is me right here.

55 bucks 100 bucks for 2

Toss em in the bug out bag and done.

When TSHTF I will find a $10,000 dollar hand held and have it for free somewhere. How bout that?

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 11:41 PM
link   
The first best thing to do is to simply get your license. After that you'll be able to study what kind of radio you need: LICENSE FIRST. It's cheap and easy!

To be efficient a handheld radio such as the Wouxun kg-uvd1p needs a repeater to reach miles and miles of distance. To use them in a simplex mode (one hand held to another handheld) depending of your location and/or your surrounding you'll reach about 1 miles or so in the city with a 5W radio with a good antenna. Handheld are good for that.

My first radio was a Yaesu VX-3R. It was a nice radio double band that is covering 2M and 70CM (transmit). The power is very low but that was my first one. I still have the VX-3R but I've upgraded while acquiring knowledge.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by chiefsmom
reply to post by DieBravely

I too used to get frustrated about all these expensive items that people claim you need to survive.
You know what? It is mostly bullcrap.
The people in the mountains of WV have survived 100's of years all while being dirt poor.
You want to know how to survive? Skills. Learn how to make traps and snares. Learn how to clean and cook rabbits, squirrels and learn to fish.

Basically, read. A LOT! Then practice what you read about, every chance you get.

Damn, I thought everybody knew how to do these things. I'm way ahead of the game..YES!!

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Y'know, I was around for the CB craze in the 70s, and later was a radio repair tech in the USAF.
To this day, I have never understood a single word coming over a 2-way. They all sound like a static-y version of Charlie Brown's teacher to me.

Keep in mind that most radio signals can be located by tech-savvy unfriendlies.
Use your radio, for transmitting, as little as possible.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 12:58 AM
link   
Go find the book..Radios that Work for Free
Its probably out of print but the liburary may have it
You can learn how to build radios that work useing a simple diode

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 03:18 AM
link   
reply to post by chameleonwalker

very nice kits :

but they are utterly dependant one the assumption that someone you want to communicate with has compatible gear and wants to talk to you

PS - a catatstropic solar event and limited nuclear exchange are both credible senarios which are personally survivable - but would threaten the fabric of society as we know it , i wasnt aware that pelicases and courier bags gave any meaningfull protection from EMP

my take on comms - unless you are going solo - 5 mile range PMR type handsets will keep your group ` in touch `

lastly - a handheld scanner - its better to listen and find out who is out there and what they are doing ,

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 04:21 AM
link   
a plastic case alone don't give you any protection about EMP. I guess the best storage will be a pelican case, with anti-static foam inside. Line the inside of the case with aluminum foil, trying to leave as little gap as possible, and put one of those dessicator bags in it. You don't want humidity to ruin your stuff too, and pack your hard-drives and radios in it, with foam between everything. That should protect your equipment from almost anything. Of course, if a nuclear bomb explodes on top of your case, or an volcano erupts from below, or a huge x-ray burst or gamma-ray burst or something hits it, your equipment might be damaged, but then, most probably you will be dead as well...

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Here a nice PDF that explain the NVIS type of communication for EMCOMM.

NVIS Antenna Design Presentation

www.w5jck.com...

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by chameleonwalker
The first best thing to do is to simply get your license. After that you'll be able to study what kind of radio you need: LICENSE FIRST. It's cheap and easy!

To be efficient a handheld radio such as the Wouxun kg-uvd1p needs a repeater to reach miles and miles of distance. To use them in a simplex mode (one hand held to another handheld) depending of your location and/or your surrounding you'll reach about 1 miles or so in the city with a 5W radio with a good antenna. Handheld are good for that.

My first radio was a Yaesu VX-3R. It was a nice radio double band that is covering 2M and 70CM (transmit). The power is very low but that was my first one. I still have the VX-3R but I've upgraded while acquiring knowledge.

Well thats good to know. 1 mile is like a walkie talkie. Maybe I should be looking at an HF hand held.
1 mile is not as good as just shouting with a bullhorn during an apocalypse. What if the repeater is down?

So then does anyone have a suggested HF handheld? As I say I have up to 500 bucks to spend on everything including accessories.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   
So why not these then?

Mobile radios, 25 km range 2 for 36 bucks...

Mobile Radios

If the power goes out, how will anyone's home base be operating? What about the repeaters? They won't have power and or the operators will be maybe dead.

I just don't understand at all the concept of a portable ham radio with a one mile range. I doubt there are any ham radio operators within a mile of me right now, in the heart of Victoria, a city with 300,000 people in it, and if there are, are they tuned in?

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Is there a cheaper Chinese equivalent to the Yeasu FT-817ND that anyone knows about?

ft-817 ND

What about a Kenwood mobile for a vehicle $159 and a Wouxun thrown in for another 79 bucks.

Does that help me at all to get better coverage?

Kenwood/Wouxun deal
edit on 8-10-2011 by Rocketman7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hellhound604
a plastic case alone don't give you any protection about EMP. I guess the best storage will be a pelican case, with anti-static foam inside. Line the inside of the case with aluminum foil, trying to leave as little gap as possible, and put one of those dessicator bags in it. You don't want humidity to ruin your stuff too, and pack your hard-drives and radios in it, with foam between everything. That should protect your equipment from almost anything. Of course, if a nuclear bomb explodes on top of your case, or an volcano erupts from below, or a huge x-ray burst or gamma-ray burst or something hits it, your equipment might be damaged, but then, most probably you will be dead as well...

Thanks,

Is there something about the material of the case shell that makes them so expensive?

Pelican cases

What is it made of? Can you substitute some other cheaper material? Regular plastic case?
Pla stic Case

Line it with tin foil, use the anti-static foam for packing etc? I am thinking my B.O.B. is already huge and heavy.
Its as big or bigger than a hockey duffle bag now and weighs about a hundred pounds.
I figure I would carry some rice rather than resort to cannibalism. And maybe a few luxuries from the BOB list in wikipedia. You know sleeping bag, sleeping mat etc it all adds up pretty quick. I am not thinking 3 days, I am thinking 3 months minimum. Just add water basically.
Most people will be dead within 3 months. Those who are going to die. So then you would have less trouble. Less chance of getting killed if you don't have to search for things. Thats the way I see it.
I just don't think that the cavalry is going to be there. Like in the book One second after, you might be on your own.

edit on 8-10-2011 by Rocketman7 because: added link

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
i was going put the same system together even thought about the maxpedition versipack

yaesu ft-817nd is a good radio from what i have read and the youtube videos i watched.

pair it up with a folding solar panel theres a youtube video out there with that system setup and was going to get one of the goal zero sherpa power packs.

thats a great setup

You know what, if my daughter was on the radio, that would be a beacon saying here we are come and get us.

In fact I think I am not even going to get a ham radio, because after talking to so many of them, well trying to, for the last week, after joining several of their forums and politely asking them a couple questions about 2 radios, I can tell you they are not very helpful. They are hobbyists who are into their own little thing.

And like other people have said on the radio you can't understand a word they are saying most of the time.

Foreign countries speak foreign languages as well.

So I just getting this set for 39 bucks because it has privacy codes, and will beep to notify that someone is calling. I am going to let other people talk on the ham radio, its not worth my time. A CB might be something I might add to a vehicle though or a scanner to listen in.

But to communicate within 25 km, thats plenty for my use.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join