It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Survival - Communication Go Kit

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
reply to post by chameleonwalker

that video i watch the dude was running it without the battery pack just straight off the folding solar panel.

gotta say really want one
edit on 7-10-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

sorry, I don't believe that video...... a solar pack just doesn't give enough juice, lol ....

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rocketman7

Well I might take a chance on it since the price is right. But I looked at your review link and this is the first review!

"If it works now, it won't down the road. Just a piece of junk. I'm sorry, but this radio should not even be in OUR market. It's not even worthy."

Here is the spec sheet for the Yeasu, is the capability the same as the one you have? Can you send and receive data packets using your radio? Like pictures? Can you access the Internet by connecting it to your lap top?

www.universal-radio.com...

You see I think this one is capable of sending data packets to a hub, like a superstation, then you have a kind of network like a BBS (Bulletin Board System)

The Internet may be down but maybe you can create a network using ham radio packets. People do that now don't they?

Like I said it depend of your needs. A lot of HF radio have different communication modes such as digital modes. Several of dozen of digital modes exist and some are more efficient than others. The military are HEAVILY using digital modes to communicate. They idea of to master you gear.

Here some good videos about it:

www.youtube.com...
www.youtube.com...

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hellhound604

it reminds me, once I had to design EMP-hardened equipment for military aircraft, and the customer really

Have you listened to One Second After? Great read. It is written for the lowest common denominator as probably a Pentagon sponsored awareness campaign but still good doom reading.

In that story one of the survivors in the militia in this small town says, "Airforce One wasn't hardened enough? We wouldn't be that dumb would we? (The President dies on day one when airforce one goes down since he was put into the air as soon as they suspected a missile launch or some BS. I mean how long does it take a missile to get from a container ship to the upper atmosphere? 200 miles, well maybe thats enough time to get onboard)

Well I kindof figured it was exaggerated. A car parked in a parkade would probably be ok don't you think?.

I doubt that EMP will be the method. Solar flare is similar though isn't it?

OK, can I tell you about the Eurofighther that couldn't event fly through the beam of a targeting RADAR without all the computer systems crashing????? ..... and with proper (and very expensive) redesign afterwards it became EMP proof..... you can design stuff EMP proof, IF you take it into consideration in the beginning of the design phase... RF isn't black magic (even though many digital designers insist it is), there are some fundamental rules to be followed ...... and if you break even one rule, one ONE line that goes outside, you are basically stuffed ..... There are no shortcuts, but it can be overcome ..... that part of the design is like HF, more than art than design, but yes, I know, most of the military are still ###cked if they are hit by an EMP, but then, once certain precautions has been made, it is not as serious as the paranoid makes it out to be.... It is like TEMPEST ...

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   

when I was at my old company, I kept on pushing them to invest development in fuel cells.........that is another option, you just add some more of your moonshine every couple of days instead of drinking it all

Well what about HHO? Some stainless steel some spacers, a battery, some water and you have a torch. That can weld metal to rock, blow glass, and even reduce radioactivity. Brown's gas.

See opec suck my exhaust in youtube. He is not the smartest guy in the world but by copying others he made a setup easy. He doesn't even know its an implosion not an explosion, so he will attach it to his vehicle on the same stroke as his gas which is an explosion and they will work against each other, and he will wonder why.

HHO implosion, creates vacuum, goes from gas to liquid water, gasoline explosion, goes from liquid gas to vapor to exhaust which takes up more room. So they are opposite.

But I have seen great pedal fly wheel generators you can make yourself. Out of a bicycle.

I tried solar, its not working where I live on the west coast. Not enough sun to charge batteries.

A vehicle, like a Brink's truck. That is what I think.

But getting back to the radio. At least with a small area maybe you won't attract the hordes to where you are?

I agree though you should probably have an HF. Is there a suggested hand held? I kindof like Yeasu but I would settle for an Icom. Keeping in mind if it breaks, I will just go into the mall, step over the dead bodies and find another one.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Hellhound604

People can indeed build their own radio if they want but it's not everyone that has the knowledge, time, tools or just the patience of doing so.

Since the last 2 or 3 years a lot of progress have been made on solar cell panel. As an exmaple of it Brunton is selling the SOLARIS 62 which has Max output: 62 Watts (12v / 3100 mA).

store.bruntonoutdoor.com...

The price is astronomical but it depend of your budget or community budget! Since the beginning of our conversation we insinuate that everyone will be by themselves but it will be rarely the case. This is why that peopel have to build small community around themselves. In a group of 7 to 10 people someone has to have a radio not all of them. In that same group someone has to have some good understanding of modern medecine and herbs. Yes everyhone should understand the basic principle but they don't need to become an engineer.

Now another good source of energy is Solar Stik: www.solarstik.com...

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by chameleonwalker

Well I might take a chance on it since the price is right. But I looked at your review link and this is the first review!

"If it works now, it won't down the road. Just a piece of junk. I'm sorry, but this radio should not even be in OUR market. It's not even worthy."

Here is the spec sheet for the Yeasu, is the capability the same as the one you have? Can you send and receive data packets using your radio? Like pictures? Can you access the Internet by connecting it to your lap top?

You see I think this one is capable of sending data packets to a hub, like a superstation, then you have a kind of network like a BBS (Bulletin Board System)

The Internet may be down but maybe you can create a network using ham radio packets. People do that now don't they?

Like I said it depend of your needs. A lot of HF radio have different communication modes such as digital modes. Several of dozen of digital modes exist and some are more efficient than others. The military are HEAVILY using digital modes to communicate. They idea of to master you gear.

www.youtube.com...
www.youtube.com...

lol, but you make all these data waveforms sound so easy ....... rofl, I don't even want to go into that... so many different waveforms, like MIL-STD-188, STANAG-5066, all the different bit-rates, and the different interleavers, and then of course, ALE!!!!! lol .... in a SHTF situation, I would stay as far away from those digital waveforms as possible, and only use SSB (or I am sure, many OT's would say, CW)

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   

reply to post by Hellhound604

People can indeed build their own radio if they want but it's not everyone that has the knowledge, time, tools or just the patience of doing so.

Since the last 2 or 3 years a lot of progress have been made on solar cell panel. As an exmaple of it Brunton is selling the SOLARIS 62 which has Max output: 62 Watts (12v / 3100 mA).

store.bruntonoutdoor.com...

The price is astronomical but it depend of your budget or community budget! Since the beginning of our conversation we insinuate that everyone will be by themselves but it will be rarely the case. This is why that peopel have to build small community around themselves. In a group of 7 to 10 people someone has to have a radio not all of them. In that same group someone has to have some good understanding of modern medecine and herbs. Yes everyhone should understand the basic principle but they don't need to become an engineer.

Now another good source of energy is Solar Stik: www.solarstik.com...

sorry, but even that solar panel would barely keep an HF radio running on receive, and during transmit, using SSB or data modems, the amplifiers have to run in linear mode, so no high-efficiency there like in FM-mode for VHF/UHF mode), so your efficiency of the TX can be maximum 50%. if you need to run 100W in SSB, you will need 150W minimum for your power supply..... we can drop back to 20W, but then you might just reach 100km, or so, if you are lucky. If you take into account atmospheric absorption, and you are not a QRP-user, that knows how to tweak everything, you need 100W TX power to reach more than 100km .....

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   
lol, I just realised how I confused you all during my posts, lol ... .sorry folks, can't help it, but I do tend to get carried away when it comes to communications, lol ....

bottom line is, if you want to know about comms, get hooked up with your local amateur-radio club, that is the BEST advice I can give any of you

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   

www.youtube.com...
www.youtube.com...

lol, but you make all these data waveforms sound so easy ....... rofl, I don't even want to go into that... so many different waveforms, like MIL-STD-188, STANAG-5066, all the different bit-rates, and the different interleavers, and then of course, ALE!!!!! lol .... in a SHTF situation, I would stay as far away from those digital waveforms as possible, and only use SSB (or I am sure, many OT's would say, CW)

Yes he says master your gear. I am a computer programmer. That took years to learn how to do well.

I don't want to actually learn a new career. I want to plug it into the USB port and then connect to a BBS from a list of addresses..

How many years do you think before people get that far?

You know plug and play. I know how to use a radio. Push to talk etc. Like I say I can program computers.

I just want something easy to use, portable, practical, reliable. Cheap.

I think most of my time will be spent in the truck, and hopefully not on the radio. I think having walky talkies is good. Then when one person watches the truck, the other can hut hut hut into the burned out food depot with their ack ack and look for bags of chips that are only singed.

Got a suggestion for the walky talkies? What about those small city wide hand helds? Or should I just buy 2 of those 100 dollar jobs and be done with it?

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   

lol, I just realised how I confused you all during my posts, lol ... .sorry folks, can't help it, but I do tend to get carried away when it comes to communications, lol ....

bottom line is, if you want to know about comms, get hooked up with your local amateur-radio club, that is the BEST advice I can give any of you

Thats ok. I know it is a complicated subject. I have spent some time looking at it in stages.

The local club here tests twice a year. So I am going to be a rogue. Not going to use it unless TSHTF

But i want one in my bug out bag. At this point I think I am probably going to just buy 2 of those Chinese ones for 106 bucks.

The thing is that along with my disaster plan, I assume that someone else will have a large transceiver in my area. I just don't know anything about radio so its pointless for me to in a short period of time, say by 2012 expect to know what some guy who has spent a lot of time on it already knows well. Like yourself.

There are people similar to you everywhere whose hobby is ham radio.

I just want to be able to ask them, whats the news? Does that star-spangled banner yet wave. O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?

And then to tell him, the atmosphere is ok, or not ok, the Geiger counter readings here are X, the cannibal horde is headed your way, we lost the Town Hall, but here at the Bay Street armory, it is pizza night.
www.panoramio.com...
(You just know they have a good radio in there)

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Rocketman7

Just ensure that everybody in your area agree to a coomon frequency and modulation mode for that shtf situation.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Lol, sorry... But you know I have designed radios and their peripherals for shtf situations for more than 20 years, and I have wriiten a lot of software for those equipment too, so I do tend to get carried away by it.... Alas, now I am not in that field anymore, and I miss it a lot. Bottom line is, knowledge is power, and coomunications are essential for shtf situations, so just learn what a radio is, how to use one, and the limitations of the diiferent radios. And if you want to learn more, join your local radio ham club....

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by DieBravely
Here is my communication go kit:

Here is my backup kit:

And this is my favorite kit with all the fancy attachments:

Sorry for the sarcasm, but I'm making a valid point. The vast majority of us can barely keep our head above water, much less afford this expensive stuff. Every time I see a thread like this I feel terrible, both for being unprepared and for being so poor. I wish desperately to join the fight with you, to survive like you, to be useful to the people the way you will be, but I have nothing, and I can't squeeze blood from a stone. So... I simply won't survive. I will be one of the big majority who dies pointlessly. And it makes me very angry to know I won't be able to save the ones I love or to even help my fellow man in any way. All I want is to be helpful, useful, but those in power decided to destroy this country economically for their own reasons, and as a result, I have been rendered useless.

So you can bash this post if you want, or delete it as being off topic, or delete my entire account if you so choose, but what I am saying is very valid, and on-topic, and meaningful, and I think you will see a lot of other people are in the same boat as me.

So what can WE do to be a part of this? What can WE offer to this cause? Because near as I can tell, without disposable income, I can't even begin to fight back. I can't even begin to survive.

I will have to say, the gear this guy has is top quality! But I do understand not having the means to buy it myself. Not making the money I once did a few years ago. But we all can do one thing here that can help anyone of us, that is learn! This is something that we can do that for the most part, is free. This is a great thread, This person could help get the word out, tell others what is happening in the next county, or state, Country! But what can you do? LEARN, to fish, hunt, filter water it is all here. The next time at the store, buy a extra can or two of bennie-weenies. Store them away, they have a self life of about three years. Some can corn, .98 cents a can, put them up as well. Used gallon milk containers to store water. Do not give up hope because you lack the money for the high end stuff. Do what you can for yourself, and for others. And again learn what you can, this alone will go a long way to help you survive!

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   
I dont have a communication "go" kit, but I do have a fully stocked pharmacopia of both prescription medicines and herbs that Ive grown and picked and dried myself. Along with my growing stock of canned food (All the stuff me and my boyfriend get from the foodbank that we dont want xD)

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by DieBravely

I know how you feel. We are both in the same boat. Too bad it is named the R.M.S. Titanic

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Just ensure that everybody in your area agree to a coomon frequency and modulation mode for that shtf situation.

Well I guess I am thinking of the worst case scenario. Lets say Z day. So getting anyone to do anything is not going to be easy. Most things will be on fire I suspect. And basically the best chance of survival I think will be to acquire a Brink's armored truck. Then maybe ferry some survivors to the Bay Street Armory. The local fortress downtown.

But since disease is the thing that kills most people in these situations, even in war time, I expect to be a bit of a lone wolf, in that truck with maybe a side kick, and preferably female, young fit and mentally strong enough to handle what we might encounter.

And if it gets real bad head to the boats. At least boats have marine band, and that is simple to use.

So, I am going to take a chance on this radio...
www.wouxun.com...
and probably buy it here...
www.maintradingcompany.com...
And if the one I get works ok, I will order another.

The guy in the reviews said he got his in 2 days. If I get mine within a week to Canada I will be happy.
Then by having it in front of me, I will learn how to use it. 'over' I keep forgetting to say 'over'.
Thanks for your help people!

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by spw184
I dont have a communication "go" kit, but I do have a fully stocked pharmacopia of both prescription medicines and herbs that Ive grown and picked and dried myself. Along with my growing stock of canned food (All the stuff me and my boyfriend get from the foodbank that we dont want xD)

This is exactly what I'm talking about. Everyone has their own skills. People have to simply create small group with people that have different skills to complete each others such as an Elite Task Force (SAS or other). Remember that government entities all around the world are working on that since decades while most of the people were enjoying Dancing with the Stars on TV. It's never too late to get into communication or anything else that will help you, your family or your survival group.

The idea is to create small cells of people that will help each other. It's simple. We can't survive alone this is why that communication is imperative between groups and community. Learn the basic and refine it for your needs and location.

Get your license here: www.arrl.org...
The license cost about $15 or $17 and its good for 10 years and you'll learn the basis of communication!

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   

The guy in the reviews said he got his in 2 days. If I get mine within a week to Canada I will be happy.
Then by having it in front of me, I will learn how to use it. 'over' I keep forgetting to say 'over'.

If people REALLY want to get into survival (BUT SERIOUSLY) I encourage everyone to watch and STUDY every single YouTube Video from this guy: www.youtube.com...

You will learn more than anything else. Secondly, surround yourself by people thinking as you do and keep it simple.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 07:37 PM
link   

If people REALLY want to get into survival (BUT SERIOUSLY) I encourage everyone to watch and STUDY every single YouTube Video from this guy: www.youtube.com...

You will learn more than anything else. Secondly, surround yourself by people thinking as you do and keep it simple.

Thanks! But like I say, what I expect to happen, is the worst case scenario. And that is out of 6.5 billion people on earth, 144,000 or as many as 200 million will not be zombies the rest will be. And it will happen in a second without warning.

So, best case scenario, whats that 1 out of 200 will be not in shock, not on fire, not dead from heart attack etc.
Prepare for the worst but hope for the best.

So what I did was downloaded 2 terabytes of survival info on the torrent system, which includes every medical journal known to man, every school chemical text, every survival manual ever written and hours and hours of survival videos and complete survival series from TV.Everything about farming that was ever written and put into pdf format.
Basically I have millions and millions of documents on civilization and including a working copy of wikipedia.

I can't memorize all of that but I can look things up.

I can't learn how to field dress a head wound but I can look that up if I need to. I can't diagnose dengy fever but I will be able to. If I look up the symptoms.

So thats the road I chose. Several portable 500 gigabyte harddrives full of pdf. And I will store them to protect them from EMP.
And an e-reader that has a long life battery, and a lap top. And a walkman. And some battery packs.
And a flashlight.

And a thousand dollars worth of bug out bag. (That truthfully weighs a frickin ton) And an electric scooter parked outside my window, to get the bag to the docks. Carrying it is out of the question at this point.

So here is the radio I am going to get and I am going to give them my money tomorrow, so if anyone thinks its not worth the money, then please tell me.
www.maintradingcompany.com...

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by spw184

This is exactly what I'm talking about. Everyone has their own skills. People have to simply create small group with people that have different skills to complete each others such as an Elite Task Force (SAS or other). Remember that government entities all around the world are working on that since decades while most of the people were enjoying Dancing with the Stars on TV. It's never too late to get into communication or anything else that will help you, your family or your survival group.

The idea is to create small cells of people that will help each other. It's simple. We can't survive alone this is why that communication is imperative between groups and community. Learn the basic and refine it for your needs and location.

Get your license here: www.arrl.org...
The license cost about $15 or $17 and its good for 10 years and you'll learn the basis of communication!

I know its bad to download things off the torrent system using Utorrent. In my country Canada it is not illegal. It is just illegal to upload, not download.

And since I am part of the preserve civilization project for our children, I will encourage you also to become a guardian of civilization and download anything you can while civilization exists, from the torrent system, as an example go to torrentz dot com in the search put survival, and then try medical then try history, then try farming, whatever your interests are that you think would be helpful to future generations in a post apocalyptic world.

Then store those portable lap top style harddrives in a safe place like a metal tool box maybe?

Maybe our resident EMP expert could suggest a safe method of storage?

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join