It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How did a 33ft whale end up in the middle of a field in East Yorkshire?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

Personally I think the whales are beaching themselves due to changing of the magnetic fields around the planet.

As for the whale found inland......

No Idea.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by LightAssassin
As for the whale found inland......

I think the quote...

As the tide retreated the whale became stranded before rolling over onto its blowhole, causing it to suffocate. The highest tides of the year occur after the spring and autumn equinox.

... says it all. No mystery.

Whale strandings are not rare and have been a regular occurrence throughout history, In the UK they have been formally recoded since 1913.

ukstrandings.org...

Sad, but perhaps a fact of life for whale kind.

Regards

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   
i remember a kid who stuffed a koala bear into his backpack during a school field trip to the zoo.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by paraphi

Some people will make a conspiracy out of anything. even to the point of linking an article that says "Whale found beached in salt marsh after exceptionally high tide", only then to ask "why was this whale found in a field", completely contradicting their own source and making themselves seem rather daft.

As you point out, they have been recorded since 1913 and have happened since long before that. Many decades before the first ever sonars were developed. Whales beach themselves for many reasons, be they lost, young, ill or being chased by predators. Maybe this one was forced into shallow water by Orca's? If sonar was such a problem for whales then beachings would be much more prevalent and they aren't.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   
I think he pissed off hancock

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape
reply to post by Druid42

the only question that vexes me is why so many whales are being sited in the north sea this year

My guess would be food is more plentiful this year in that area. Without knowing the path of food via currents and such, it's just a logical guess. I would assume the whales are in "stuff yourself before winter mode". They probably are following the food.

After a quick look, maybe this is playing into it somehow:

Whales mingle as Northwest Passage opens
edit on 7-10-2011 by pavil because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

I think the reason the whales are migrating north could be that there is an abundance in food further north. When that 500 mile wide oil leak from BP happened in the gulf of mexico it had catastropic consequences for sea life that we will be dealing with for the next 100 years.

If the waves get abnormally higher on more of a frequency i would be getting worried because the earth's tides are effected by the moon's revolutions around the earth and it could mean something big is going on out in space.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 12:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Ramcheck

I'm just wondering why you think they are dieing more often, or needlessly? If this whale had died at sea, we'd have absolutely no idea it was gone. Also, having no idea at all how this animal died makes it impossible to say it died needlessly.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 02:53 AM
link   
Why ask a question in your title and answer it in the first paragraph?

I know, it's because it's the only way to coax people into this stupid thread

What made you think this news was post worthy on this site?

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 04:00 AM
link   
There's a number of possible reasons for increased whale beachings and deaths: global warming (forget the reasons, the temperature is rising) which destabilises existing habitats of animals evolved to live there. Pollution and noise from industry/sea vessels confusing sea mammals sonar and speech. Changes in how data for beachings is measured may also have an effect - if you actively look for something, you may record more data than before, though the actual number may not be increasing at that rate.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 04:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by ObservingTheWorld
It would make far more sense if they found a bowl of petunias near by.

Second line

Oh no, not again...

линия два ,السطر الثاني ,兩線 ,ligne Deux ,linea Due ,שורה צוויי

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 04:33 AM
link   
"How did a 33ft whale end up in the middle of a field in East Yorkshire?"

verwy carefully?

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 05:21 AM
link   
Can we still eat beached Whales?

Whales are Mammals, have a very big Brain and are sometimes very sophisticated
so they are singing, dancing and wear decorative Jewelery,
in my Opinion a safe Sign that Whales can develop Depression, schizoid Disorders
and suicidal Tendencies
which lead to beached Whales!

PS: i was rolling on my Tatami when i read about the Petunias,
that Book (H2G2) opened my Eyes for so many aspects of Life in the '80

edit on 8-10-2011 by Human0815 because: format

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 07:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Freedom_is_Slavery
Why ask a question in your title and answer it in the first paragraph?

I know, it's because it's the only way to coax people into this stupid thread

What made you think this news was post worthy on this site?

The answer was the one provided by MSM, not my answer. I'm not from the UK, however, I know that many members are, and they would have the best explanations as that is their local. I knew input from them would either collaborate or deny the story.

For real, this is ATS. Do you honestly believe any MSM story without further verifying it? A beached whale should be on a beach, not in a field, and that's why I brought the article for review to ATS. It seemed odd to me.

Thanks to all the UK members who are satisfied with the MSM explanation, and have responded accordingly.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 07:57 AM
link   
Surely someone would have spotted this whale as it was coming across the land. Funny how they notice it after it was dead. I am going to talk to my relatives in Yorkshire and find out the theories they have heard about this.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 08:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

My guess would be that an exceptionally high equinox tide carried it 800 yards from the shoreline to a salt marsh where it then became stranded.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Im going with Slartibartfast kicking in the improbability drive

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 08:07 AM
link   
reply to post by stumason

Awww cmon Stu, you do know that the hitch hykers guide to the galaxy was a true story and this just proves it regardless what the source says?

MSM lie all the time..

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by EvanB
Im going with Slartibartfast kicking in the improbability drive

And what is that coming closer? I think I will call it land...yes land....

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

So what's the conspiracy? The story clearly states that the whale was deposited in the marsh, (not a field) by an unusually high tide. A marsh is tidal land, wet all the time and adjacent to the sea. Your title made it sound as if the animal was inland in an area it could not have possibly gotten to on its own. Bad form. Also you didnt state what your take on all this is.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join