It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why should I let you through the checkpoint?

page: 40
<< 37  38  39    41  42  43 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by AGWskeptic

Harvesting that much by hand would be a challenge, if you need it for a group.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by KingAtlas
I love how everyone is still posting here about their qualifications, Grace hasn't posted for a long time now.

Not that I don't enjoy the read. It really shows how different everyone thinks.

Hey KingAtlas, this thread has become a force to reckon with, threatening to absorb every bit of my spare time and sanity.

I posted a response yesterday that said I had decided it was against my moral code to judge people based on their skills or possessions, and so I would fling wide the gates and turn it into a party because we were all soon to die anyway. Everyone ignored it!

edit on 10/10.2011 by graceunderpressure because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by graceunderpressure

Originally posted by KingAtlas
I love how everyone is still posting here about their qualifications, Grace hasn't posted for a long time now.

Not that I don't enjoy the read. It really shows how different everyone thinks.

Hey KingAtlas, this thread has become a force to reckon with, threatening to absorb every bit of my spare time and sanity.

I posted a response yesterdat that said I had decided it was against my moral code to judge people based on their skills or possessions, and so I would fling wide the gates and turn it into a party because we were all soon to die anyway. Everyone ignored it!

Lol so you endorse all the hookerhood thats going to be going on here?

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by lostsock
reply to post by LadySkadi

Come sit a few with me for a few and have a small cup of coffee, I have plenty to barter with. Oh and I would be really happy to trade some with you if you can find me a bag of flour. Some biscuits topped with some fresh berries sure would go nice with a steaming cup of java on a sunny morning don't you think? Now all I need is some flour, you wouldn't happen to have any would you?

Acorns.

Crush 'em, leach the tannic acid out, dry them, then grind them into a fine flour.

makes for a heavy, hard, crunchy sort of bread without any leavening but it'll work.

Acorns.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by nenothtu

Why not use corn instead?

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Evolutionsend

Porportionately it's less labor intensive than corn or root vegetables. It also stores better than root veggies as you can store it dry.

Tip for those of who didn't grow up on farms, keep ~100 pounds of sand in the basement root cellar to cover your potatoes and onions and they will keep for over a year. Pile the spuds and onions in a dark corner and cover with damp sand. They won't spoil or grow eyes if stored this way.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by lostsock

Hahaha I love bees wasps hornets! So you can sleep safely, I catch wasps in my bare hands and carry them away with out ever being stung. I once sat on a yellow jacket nest that was under and old oak tree. Had the lil buggers crawling all over me while I was quietly planting some daffodil bulbs and was never stung. Just sat there and talked to them. Now if you startle them all bets are off and they will follow you and sting you until you can stop and pick them off. You can call me the Bee Whisper if you like

pap claimed he held his breath and "it closed the pores in his skin", and that's why he didn't get stung, but I dunno. I think he was pulling my leg to watch the fun. I'm not about to give it a go!

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by AGWskeptic

Porportionately it's less labor intensive than corn or root vegetables. It also stores better than root veggies as you can store it dry.

Tip for those of who didn't grow up on farms, keep ~100 pounds of sand in the basement root cellar to cover your potatoes and onions and they will keep for over a year. Pile the spuds and onions in a dark corner and cover with damp sand. They won't spoil or grow eyes if stored this way.

Same with carrots and beets... actually any root vegetable. Yes/no???
edit on 10-10-2011 by shushu because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by graceunderpressure

There are many problems with this scenario but lets just play along. I am going to Lie, lie and lie some more to get a meal and clean water so whatever it takes to get in is what i will be saying. I don't suppose i will be having to take an entrance exam. This is what I imagine most people will be doing or they may go away and gather up more armed individuals. the only way this would have a chance at surviving the first month is if it was hidden in a rural area away from roads maybe in the mountains somewhere. Though to tell you some of my many skills that i really do have i'm a natural leader and problem solver, carpenter, electrician, farmer, i am capable with a firearm and some engineering skills. Also i have watched surviver many times and know many things so i probably would'nt have to lie. though if the look on their faces said they still were not intreasted then i would start the lies probably with those easiest to fake!

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by shushu

Digging potatoes sucks badly. It's not fun, and it's not fast. Same can be said for shucking corn. I do know one thing for sure though, cutting the wheat is only the first step. You have to separate the head from the stem, which could take a WHILE.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Why not use corn instead?

Depends on what you have available. I'm thinking the folks over in the big compound may have corn, if they've had time to harvest any and the raiders haven't stolen it all or burned it down, but my little camp doesn't seem to have a garden spot yet.

The potato substitute comment was also a good idea, but there again, I don't have a garden, so I'd have to find something to trade for either one.

Unless I can "find" some flour where I "found" the coffee...

edit on 2011/10/10 by nenothtu because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by queenofsheba
Hey grace....this was a fun, imaginative thread...
Always interesting thinking about the "what ifs..."

Thank you, queenofsheba. Even though this is all just play, I'm glad to have the opportunity to see all the different viewpoints and answers. You can never anticipate how everyone will react a given situation because we're all so different. And oddly, having all this knowledge about how people view a SHTF scenario could actually help one's survival.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by cbianchi513
This thread is retarded just for existing

When I mentioned there's a lot of projection going on, this was one of the posts to which I was referring.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by graceunderpressure

Originally posted by queenofsheba
Hey grace....this was a fun, imaginative thread...
Always interesting thinking about the "what ifs..."

Thank you, queenofsheba. Even though this is all just play, I'm glad to have the opportunity to see all the different viewpoints and answers. You can never anticipate how everyone will react a given situation because we're all so different. And oddly, having all this knowledge about how people view a SHTF scenario could actually help one's survival.

waht does shtf stand for?

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by shushu

Originally posted by AGWskeptic

Same with carrots and beets... actually any root vegetable. Yes/no???
edit on 10-10-2011 by shushu because: (no reason given)

Yes, any root veg can be stored this way.

Modern man is way too dependent on the refridgerator, the idea of loose sand in the basement is gross to most.
edit on 10-10-2011 by AGWskeptic because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Noobastronomer
i'm sorry..but it is really hard to concentrate and read what you've written when that CREEPY creature in your avatar is staring at me like that.....thanks alot for contributing to my NIGHTMARES

If a fluffy little tree creature with big eyes is enough to scare you that badly, we probably don't want you in the compound.
Just kidding. All are welcome, but I'm not leaving a night light on for you.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Could the all important cellar be back in style? OMG! I love the cellar. Always the right temperature.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by spw184

waht does shtf stand for?

"Stuff" Hittin' That Fan!

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by apacheman
Now the real question is what exactly do you have to offer me to induce me to stay and contribute to your community?

What rules or laws would I be expected to adhere to, and are they the same for all?

Apacheman, are you kidding? If you read the thread thus far, you'll know that we're all a bunch of wackos and you probably DO want to give us a wide berth. It's turned into a raucous party of drinkers, smokers, promiscuous Jeep riders, and other degenerates. None of us will probably survive past tomorrow but we're going to have fun in the meantime.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Could the all important cellar be back in style? OMG! I love the cellar. Always the right temperature.

I hope so.

Modern conveniences have hurt our society. Front porches used to be sat on every evening, it's how neighbors connected with each other. Now with central air and cable TV/internet people sit inside with the shades drawn.

I don't fear a return to the simple life an economic collapse would bring, part of me wants it to happen.

top topics

<< 37  38  39    41  42  43 >>

join