It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why should I let you through the checkpoint?

page: 27
<< 24  25  26    28  29  30 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by yellowbeard

some questions to all you lone wolf types;

How well would you sleep with no one standing guard ?

I don't sleep much NOW. Catnaps of from 20 minutes to maybe two hours, never all the way under. Besides, if I fell all the way to sleep, I might fall out of the tree!

How would you get food and water when you became sick or injured,

The same way I did when I wasn't. Being under par doesn't change anything but speed. The necessity is still there, and you WILL get it done. You'd be amazed what you can do when you HAVE to.

How would you keep off the wild animals or packs of starving dogs that can smell a festering wound from hundreds of yards away ?

The same way you do people predators - one at a time. That's why it's important to have a camp choke point, where only one body at a time can pass. In my house, for example, it's the stairs. try to get up those stairs against my will, and I will own you - lock, stock, and barrel. The body pile at the foot of the stairs just makes it that much more difficult for the next assaulter to stay on his feet. If he's looking for me at the top of the staircase, he'll never see what hits him.

edit on 2011/10/8 by nenothtu because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by 46ACE

Got that coffee from an un attended jeep with a guy and a chick out in front heatedly arguing over a map didn't ya?

Well, actually, yeah! She was saying "why can't you ever ask for directions?" and he was saying "because everyone there was DEAD!"

I just sort of snaked my hand up past the Jerry can while they were sitting there glaring at each other... then faded back off into the brush with my new prize!

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by graceunderpressure

Originally posted by gimme_some_truth
reply to post by graceunderpressure

Ever read Lord Of The Flies? I don't want to get back into a violent society that feels the need to protect it self with armed guards and other such nonsense anyway.

SO, yeah I will just walk right on past your little violent society that feels the need to keep people out with guns.

So my answer, I would walk right past your little camp simply because I don't want to be a part of any group that feels the need to keep people out, using violence and weapons.

Weapons and guns are a tool. Hunting for food, for example, is what they should be used for. Not for killing each other.... Which would most likely be the cause of any kind of STHF scenario... War..

Again, don't reply to me with nonsense about you having a perfect utopian society behind those gates..IF that were true, you would not need guns to keep people out... and don't jabber on about some other nonsense involving me getting eaten by aliens....

This is reality and if S ever hits the fan, I am on my own.

Peace and love... Good luck with your society that feels the need to point guns at passer by's. and I hope for your sake the people don't start fighting amongst themselves over power, just like we do now. Because at the first sign of a fight... You just watch as everyone starts pulling weapons on each other.... You just watch your little camp start breaking down and collapsing into a bloody mess.

If SHTF happens, I am through with people and through with the violence of society. I am on my own.

First of all, I rarely jabber. Second, this thread is hypothetical so in that respect, it's all nonsense. I have, indeed, read Lord of the Flies, and I agree that it poses an alarming and very real possiblity. And third, I never said we were "pointing guns at passers-by." In the scenario, people approach the gate of their own free will, ostensibly wanting to gain entry. Those who don't want in keep walking and I have no problem with that. I might do the same, myself.

My questions for you are:

If we don't protect ourselves with guns (best case: they're only a deterrent and I would prefer never to have to use them) how do you suggest we protect ourselves?

And what about you, wandering on your own with only your high morals to protect you? How long do you think you would survive?

I'm on the defense squad, as well as the scavenger squad. My mate didn't survive the first two comet impacts, so I'm quite alone in my endeavors, and prefer to work to provide for the community. I'm suffering from grief at this point, and masking my feelings by doing the dirty work. I'm one of the driving souls that provide needed resources, and figures out what we need. I'll be a Councillor to one of the female Council Members.

Gun powder will run out in short supply. Bullets will be a traded commodity. Like honey, food, or water.

Bullets will be scarce, and after your 9 round clip is empty, and you know you only have 200 rounds left, you'll be useless. So will your stupid guns, because you don't have a surplus of lead, nor a bullet press, nor the empty casings to re-fill and re-use. I have a shotgun shell reloader in the back of my 4 by, under the cap. That'll work until my 50 pound box of gunpowder runs out.

Nope, I am switching to bow right away. I can teach others how to make bows, and arrows, and they are silent. The best defense is a silent one.

Ever met a deer hunter with a bow? They stay silent in tree stands for hours. They have the patience it takes to defend a compound. Yep, snipers with no guns. I'm sure we got a few here, aye?

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by nenothtu

Hey now, I don't get lost.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi

Counseling, cooking and wilderness first responder skills (certif. expired) aren't coming up in short supply. Looks like I'm still outside the wall, for now. There's bound to be something you need from the outside though, I guess I'll be the honorable thief. Trading partners?

reply to post by getreadyalready

Now, this is sounding more like my kind of plan. So, any room for a counselor turned thief (honorable one, very important) with good communication skills and a healthy dose of sneaky?

"Honorable thief"? Here's the deal - it ain't thieving if the previous owners don't need it any more - i.e. that dried, mummified thing over in the corner. I prefer to think of you as a "scrounger"...

Look for the coffee - it's seems to be in pretty high demand, will command a premium price!

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   

geek engineer, outdoors man, survialist, sharp shooter... but i got my own place,,, maybe your prople and my people can trade...

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by wbf850

forgot add gardener

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thestargateisreal

Hey now, I don't get lost.

Of course not! You're the president or something... why would you ever leave the compound TO get lost?

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 08:39 PM
link   
woot, just thought of more. (asked my family the same question as the op. was fun).

i'm a calligraphist, a portrait artist, a manicurist and a pedicurist. i have some diplomacy skills, problem solving skills, and can think outside the box, when thinking outside the box is the best option in answer finding. i know some basic chiropractic, accupressure and myotherapy techniques. i have an excellent vocabulary, decent etymological skills and can operate several different kinds of mechanical equipment, as well.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   

I got impeached. They threw me out.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

You're elected to a council position, number two. I need four more females for a Council of Six.

Moving up in the world, I like it. I might be willing to be a consulting member of the council, but which council is the question. Are you part of the OP's compound, part of the coup, or part of something else entirely?

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by nenothtu

Originally posted by 46ACE

Got that coffee from an un attended jeep with a guy and a chick out in front heatedly arguing over a map didn't ya?

Well, actually, yeah! She was saying "why can't you ever ask for directions?" and he was saying "because everyone there was DEAD!"

I just sort of snaked my hand up past the Jerry can while they were sitting there glaring at each other... then faded back off into the brush with my new prize!

Well played; oldsport well played!:
Loves me my coffee

kudos

"UH-Uh: at least one of' em was alive when you went in there (I saw him movin'!)"
"killed him..."

he startled me..."
"before or after you asked him for directions? "Genius"??????"

"beeeotsch...."

"stupid m-f"

edit on 8-10-2011 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-10-2011 by 46ACE because: structure

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   

I got impeached. They threw me out.

Overthrow Coup in order?

There are lots of Generals around to carry that out, you know...

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   

I don't know Neno, scrounger conjures up images of vultures and that doesn't really work for me - see, I don't think I'd have a problem thieving from the living, (as long as they were not part of my circle) so it does behoove you to be a trusted member... what do you say? Trading partners?

*I'm still working out whose in charge of the compound, seems the leadership is in turmoil, at the moment*

**It also seems I may have landed a seat at the coundil (I'm just not sure whose council, yet) but hey, it couldn't hurt to be part of the consulting team. At the least, that's more peeps for trade...

edit on 8-10-2011 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

I need four more females for a Council of Six.

i would not want that position. women are extremely competitive with each other, even moreso than most men. we just express it differently. scary stuff right there. i'd be more inclined to think a mixed council of men and women would be better. lol

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi

I don't know Neno, scrounger conjures up images of vultures and that doesn't really work for me - see, I don't think I'd have a problem thieving from the living, (as long as they were not part of my circle) so it does behoove you to be a trusted member... what do you say? Trading partners?

Sure, we can trade - but I can't let you live in my camp. there are already too many girls filtering in, and I'm afraid they might throw a coup here. I mean, the women already overran the main encampment and threw a coup, y'know?

*I'm still working out whose in charge of the compound, seems the leadership is in turmoil, at the moment*

Yeah, that's what I'M talkin' 'bout!

**It also seems I may have landed a seat at the coundil (I'm just not sure whose council, yet) but hey, it's got to be good for business, no?**

Movin' on up...

I'm more skeert of politicians than I am girls even...

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by EnigmaAgent
I'm an idiot.

Every village compound needs an idiot.

OMG... LMAO!!!!

edit on 8-10-2011 by shushu because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   

I'm more skeert of politicians than I am girls even...

I'm not a politician, that is why I will consider being a consulting member (I'm still not sure if this is at the main encampment or somewhere else, still sorting that out) ... I prefer to be mobile and keep up on what is going on outside not walled up inside. As for your camp, I won't stay permanently, just long enough to drop some things off and pick some things up, it's better that way...

edit on 8-10-2011 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   
I just like Jeeps, so I'm leaving.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 09:09 PM
link   

I just like Jeeps, so I'm leaving.

You have a working jeep? no wonder you were president! Don't go... we'll build you your own camp outside the walls, where you can sit all day, stare at the main camp, and mutter things like "Oh yes, one day!" while rubbing your hands together...

top topics

<< 24  25  26    28  29  30 >>

join