It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why should I let you through the checkpoint?

page: 26
<< 23  24  25    27  28  29 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thestargateisreal
reply to post by getreadyalready

Jason Statham sounds British though. Unless you're British, that's not gonna work.

Hey! get a room you two!

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by 46ACE

We've got a Jeep, who needs a room?

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by graceunderpressure
Some responses...
[snip snip snip...]

Loveguy, "The Inquisitor," I gave you an originality star for being a "behavioral analyst in my mobile command vehicle." And it's still true that NO ONE expects the Spanish Inquisition.

[snip snip snippity snip...]

How very true... Which is why we always need to be reminded of it

Mike
edit on 8/10/11 by JustMike because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Thestargateisreal

cool

("are we there yet?")

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by EnigmaAgent
I'm an idiot.

Every village compound needs an idiot.

OMFG! That was hilarious! Sorry OP, but
ROTFL right now!

Seriously though, I would ask to restock some supplies through means of trade and keep it moving to my designated area. No need for a compound situation for me. That's too much attention and activity in one place IMO. Besides, sounds like we don't know what happened right?

Definitely staying on my own until I find out what happened...I may not be safer that way but I may not be safe in a group either.

Hopefully, you would say okay to the trade

ETA
BTW OP, your avatar/video is very funny...you must have a good sense of humor. I would have starred you just for that

edit on 10/8/11 by ThePublicEnemyNo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   
I would most likely approach your compund cautiously and only after I had observed it activities for a given amount of time. I would not approach with the intent to become a member, rather to possibly form an alliance between your group and ours. (Provided that our groups were close enough to each other)

I would be interested in putting in place, common operational security measures between our two groups to begin with. For instance, if your group is on the south end of state route 114 and ours was on the north side, we would form a pact to control who passes between our two communities. I would also be interested in setting up some sort of commerce between our two groups. (prostitution will not be part of that)

As I have studied these scenarios quite a bit, I am sure that your group will not be the only one in the area. Forming alliances with other groups would much more favorable that trying to fight each other off.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   
I have been a "prepper" since before being a "prepper" was cool. I know how to: build a log cabin (including roofing with splits), build a stone fireplace and chimney that will draw properly, and build stone retaining walls. I know how to hunt, fish, trap, skin, butcher, cure, and preserve meats, how to tan hides, and how to grow vegetables and herbs organically (with compost), and even what wild plants are edible. I can weld. I am an experienced carpenter and cabinet maker. I am mechanically inclined and can fix and/or fabricate just about anything. I know how to build and balance a ram pump (makes water pump itself using gravity and inertia). I know how to build and operate a still (for ultra-clean water - used in solar battery banks) and liquor. I know about low voltage solar/wind systems and battery maintenance. I know about HF transceivers (HAM radios) and how to build a RG5V multi-band antenna. I know how to reload ammunition. I can build a fire with a shoelace, a stick, a pocketknife and a couple of chunks of wood. And most importantly right at this moment, I can put every round from the 1911 .45 in my right hand, into an 8 inch circle at 100 feet. So what have you got to offer to entice me to consider staying here with you?

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ophiuchus 13
reply to post by graceunderpressure

My answer is to keep it moving because they are selfish, and one can imagine there being a post apoco leader present. So no thanks I would ask to refill my water containments and swap food for something I may have then move on....
edit on 10/7/11 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

Same here. Maybe I have seen too many SHTF movies but the story seems to be the same every time. I say resupply if they will let you and then move on. But be careful as even that may not be safe. I would hide the bulk of my goods before getting near the place. They could just as well take all your stuff and kick you out or even kill you.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by dr_strangecraft

The lesson from this little thought experiment is that most of the people replying have no particular skills at producing food. So, if anyone wants to survive with a marketable skill, it looks like gardening and farming will be the rarest ones.

The "compound" is looking like the Donner Party Campground

"Donner party Campground". I like it! it has a ring to it! I think that would be a good sign to put right over the front gate, to keep the riff-raff from asking to come in to begin with!

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
reply to post by xawesomepants

Reread what I said.....

The land could support the Native Americans because tribes were smaller and there weren't that many.

The land can't now because of population size, which is why we now resort to artificial means.

Nah. It'll be the people who die off, not the resources. Most aren't capable of exploiting what resources there really are, which leaves more for the rest of us who survive!

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by lostsock
reply to post by nenothtu

Poke weed green's boiled twice and rinsed twice make an excellent side dish that accompany cornmeal battered groundhog very nicely! Nobody would ever starve that sits down next to my cook fire. The fare might not be anything that we had on a day to day menu before tshtf but it will be healthy edible tasty and tender.
I think thats a decent trade and a very useful skill. A full belly is what will keep everyone going in the long run. All I want in exchange is to be semi sorta safe while Im asleep lol

Well! You're in luck!

You answered the poke weed question right, where most say "that stuff's POISON!"

I've got this nice cosy "Lone Wolf Outrider Camp" (tm) over here. It's in a sheltered hollow, out of the wind, water running nearby down the middle of it from a spring a little higher up. Needs a cook, 'cause the way I burn my own cooking is borderline criminal - if there are still any crimes on the books, that is - and I don't ever go all the way to sleep, I just cat nap here and there, so sleeping overwatch isn't an issue.

I'd guess you're from Upper East Tennessee, and so probably know what a "grampus" is. Yup, I eat them, too. I ain't proud at supper time!

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by 46ACE

"HO' IN THE CAMP!"
Mornin' Mr.... got any coffee ?
All I've got left is these gawddamn LEFTOVER teabags

As a matter of fact, I DO have a bit of coffee. You'll never guess where I found it... ahhh, nervermind. People will overlook the damndest things in the damndest places when they don't expect to see it there, but I digress. Might be a cook coming later, and if so, the groundhog, grampus, and rattlesnake won't be burned TOMORROW evening, but for now there's at least coffee and a bit o' burned something over the fire...

Where'd you get the tea bags? I thought those got all shot up for target practice!

edit on 2011/10/8 by nenothtu because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   
I love how everyone is still posting here about their qualifications, Grace hasn't posted for a long time now.

Not that I don't enjoy the read. It really shows how different everyone thinks.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by openyourmind1262

Sorry to sound so dramatic. But If you would not let me & mine in. It would not have a good out come. We would probally leave, watch you all for a day or two, get the logistics of what you have going on then just take it over by force. Simply put. If you ain't mobile, yoour asking for trouble.

That better be a BIG group you've got there! You know the "attacker vs. defender" ratios, right? You also have to consider what you will accept as losses in the assault. You won't be picking up replacements to refill the ranks at the depot any time soon...

Also consider the Outrider Patrols (tm). You might just get into a Ceasar vs. Vercingetorix at Alesia spot. Sure, it's possible you might "win", but what are the pitiful remains of your troops gonna be able to do with all that stuff?

Especially when the next Big Vandal come along? I mean, you've already broken what troops you had against the walls, y'know?

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   
I am an architect
I am a "scientist"/problem solver so I can help figure out ways to expand and grow
Also I am a person who can aid in fighting
wont take no for an answer.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by nenothtu

Originally posted by 46ACE

"HO' IN THE CAMP!"
Mornin' Mr.... got any coffee ?
All I've got left is these gawddamn LEFTOVER teabags

As a matter of fact, I DO have a bit of coffee. You'll never guess where I found it... ahhh, nervermind. People will overlook the damndest things in the damndest places when they don't expect to see it there, but I digress. Might be a cook coming later, and if so, the groundhog, grampus, and rattlesnake won't be burned TOMORROW evening, but for now there's at least coffee and a bit o' burned something over the fire...

Where'd you get the tea bags? I thought those got all shot up for target practice!

Got that coffee from an un attended jeep with a guy and a chick out in front heatedly arguing over a map didn't ya?

Teabags? "stapled to an old sign in the back of the garage from '08"

edit on 8-10-2011 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by karen61057
reply to post by graceunderpressure

My answer would be, I am a gardener. I know how to grow stuff. I know what plants need and where they will grow well. I am also a naturalist. I can identify benificial herbs and plants to make medicines. I can turn canned goods into amazing meals. ( I've done it many times LOL). I am also an avid reader and my gray matter is chock full of tidbits of usefull and useless information so I can help you out or engage you in interesting conversation.

I'd want you as one of the female council members. This compound has a council of six females, elected by the males and the rest of the community. Would you bargain for our survival?

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Besides.. I heard chatter over the radio in the town I just passed. The electrical grid went down when the first comet hit. There is a few bigger ones coming, and they estimate at least one will hit the ocean. You need at least 600 feet elevation to be safe and that community is at about 200 feet (not very far inland). The question is, should I tell the community or leave it to drown? They would be like a horde of sheep to move through the forest. I think I will leave them be. I even heard the leader talking about zombies and jurassic creatures. Sounds like he`s lost his mind, they`re all doomed.

Do you want to be on my raiding squad? I'd like you on the team.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi

Originally posted by Thestargateisreal
reply to post by GrandpaDave

You know I'm their leader.
I was last night anyways.

There has been one coup at camp, so far then? More convincing evidence it isn't the best place to be, long term.

edit on 8-10-2011 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

You're elected to a council position, number two. I need four more females for a Council of Six.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Soulece

I got mad skills. like nunchuku skills, bow hunting skills, computer hacking skills... and I'm training to be a cage fighter!

Sorry, All I could think about is the following quote from Napoleon Dynamite:

Napoleon Dynamite: You know, like nunchuku skills, bow hunting skills, computer hacking skills... Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills.

ALso was thinking.. post SHTF.. the only real people who will be safe are hot chicks.. If they got tits and a clean vag.. pardon the vulgarness but its true. Hands up any guy who would let them starve it out.. they would most likely be kept as "pets".. remember 28 days later? they weren't exactly "helping" those girls.. they were hoping to help themsleves. Think about it
edit on 10/08/2011 by Iiquiringmind because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 23  24  25    27  28  29 >>

join