It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why should I let you through the checkpoint?

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 11:44 PM
link   
reply to post by graceunderpressure

So when the mob of 300 show up what does the security do? Interview them? That sounds like a plan for failure, maybe have roaming people give out bracelets with directions to get in? seems very likely that a mob might show up just from the smell of bacon in the air.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 11:44 PM
link   
1. I'm a prior service Marine & Corrections Officer

2. I'm an EMT-B

3. I pick things up and put them down.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by TWISTEDWORDS

No way, we have too many like you already.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   
I'm cute. Isn't that enough?

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   
If you were the gatekeeper (if I'm reading this right), I would issue this heavily coded statement:

Signal transmitted
Message received
Reaction making impact Invisibly
Elemental telepathy
Exchange of energy
Reaction making contact
Mysteriously

and you would open the gate right up...

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by graceunderpressure

The gatekeeper says, "We're a small, self-governed, self-sustained community, and we must be selective about accepting new members. You can stay here if you can contribute to our community in some meaningful way. Tell me one to three useful abilities, skills, or attributes that you can offer us."

What is your answer?

I know how to garden with horsepower - I mean REAL horsepower, like you see in the movies of how it was in the 1800's. that's how I grew up.

I know how to blacksmith AND do farrier work. Also a function of my upbringings. That would include making my own forge - which is exactly how we got our forge back then to begin with. I won't go into tedious details, but it involved an old truck tire rim for a mudbox, One of the anvils was made out of a piece of railroad track.

I can hunt with next to nothing. I make my own bows and arrows - no reloading of bullets, no running out of ammo, and not much noise to draw unwanted attention. I have been known to hunt, successfully, with nothing more than a fist-sized rock. I can whittle out my own triggers for traps, and have used them to good effect.

Just to sweeten the pot, I can set up and run a security perimeter like nobody's business. LP/OPs. fields of fire, barriers and traps to slow down advances, site survey, terrain analysis, the whole nine yards. I do security of a pretty extensive area now for a living, and have done consulting and the like for the last 15 years or so.

To be honest, I mention that last since trigger-pullers will be a dime a dozen. Anyone can twitch a trigger and keep heads down - it's the proper emplacement and employment of those trigger folk that will make the difference if they're ever needed. Better to go unnoticed than to have to fight your way to Valhalla.

There's more skills where those came from.

Am I hired? S'ok if you say no - I might be better off outside the gate anyhow....

edit on 2011/10/7 by nenothtu because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 11:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Signals

link   
reply to post by DieBravely

I Was surprised i got this far down the first page to see someone post that. Maybe i shouldn't be that surprised. Any how. Well Said.

I'm an American patriot

I'm an American patriot

I'm an American patriot

link   
reply to post by neo96

Have you ever laughed?

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 12:03 AM
link   
i would recon your camp and then steer far from it

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   
Now that i've had a few mugs of this lovely tank fuel moonshine.....

....i just remembered my M1 has a microwave, a fridge, water purification, a toilet, communications, air scrubbers, ammo small and large and is sealed from the radiation that you will all be suffering from.

Keep yer hippy compound.

Moving on "ho..." rumble rumble.

Cosmic...

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 12:07 AM
link   
reply to post by popsmayhem

I'm probably going to miss a few things but I could yell these out pretty quickly

-Basic electrical engineering from university, practical experience since (repair, rewire, and maguyver things)
-Technical/Communications training (satellites, ham, etc), carry a ham in my pocket (will survive in copper faraday cage) and will help you listen to any comms if someone is trying to attack the compound.
-Basic survival training
-Project management - Logistical and planning experience
-Experience dealing with idiots and can step in to fix their mistakes (I'll make sure you don't fail)
-Can cook, not just bbq things
-Multilingual: Fluent in two languages, get by on 4 others
-Gunsmith
-Well armed (heavily is not possible while on a hump / hike) just a sniper drag bag with a 308 or 336 lapua and a full
auto shorty on harness

Oh.. and the last two things should standout:

1) I'm not so picky, I'll take the ugly women from time to time and
2) Did I mention I'm a pretty good shot and can just snipe the guards at 1500+ yards if they said "No"?

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 12:17 AM
link   
This has been a fun thread !
What could I bring to the table ?
Shore Patrol when I was in the Navy
Armed NOW..
40 years exp as heavy equipment mechanic and operator
I would assume everyone will work together for the good of all.
Ham Radio operator ..can put together a radio and build antennas
There is safety in numbers..you have to sleep..so you need people you can trust
Im a good scrounger..
What do you want for dinner ??

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 12:17 AM
link   
Think of Dwight from "The Office".

Oh yeah. I'm getting in.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 12:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by graceunderpressure

Originally posted by mileysubet
Although the comforts you are enticing me with sound divine, I think I will pass on comunal living for a while longer yet.

Certainly your choice but -- Oh NO! What's that behind you??? [Sound of smacking reptilian jaws]

What's that behind me? LUNCH, of course!

It's an apocalypse out there - can't be too picky over what constitutes victuals!

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 12:18 AM
link   
reply to post by graceunderpressure

me: "I haz cheezburgers."
gatekeeper person: "You're in."

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   
I can make a fire with no metal or matches available. Put a gun in my hands, point at something from 2' to about 700 yards and it will go down. I can field dress just about any animal, as well as process it.

/TOA

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 12:25 AM
link   
reply to post by 46ACE

yea man same here movies classics is where its at.

kellys heroes

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 12:30 AM
link   
All the skills mentioned are impressive ..
As I read one thing comes to mind..the Texas / Mexican border ..your community on a large scale !

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 12:31 AM
link   
Although this has been a very fun and revealing thread to read (thanks), I'm with the guys who will pass. For starters I live in Florida, and probably will not survive most SHTF scenarios. Secondly, if my family did survive the "first wave" so to speak, we are already set up pretty well. Mostly, I think it depends on the scenario. We plan to be hidden for most post-scenarios until we get some intel going. Better safe than sorry.

One thing everybody might also want to take into consideration is severe climate change. It seems to be a part of some of the scenarios. In my opinion, this may be the most difficult condition to survive. Extreme heat (200 degrees Fahrenheit for months) will keep you underground, except perhaps at night. Extreme cold is not much better, especially without training. In either of these situations, hunting, fishing and gathering may not be feasible. I hope this is not a part of any scenario we may face. Good luck to all....

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join