It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why should I let you through the checkpoint?

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   
electro-mechanical technology degree and
years of hands on mechanical and electrical/electronics trouble shooting/ repair
Welding/machine building
ex-military
married to an RN.
I am carrying assorted sizes of conibear "killer " body traps for "gathering" small game.
I have firearms experience/training with "Sporting" and military weapons.
I've been studying tshtf and solo wilderness survival since the late 1970's.

Let me speak to the "OIC": If your group shows outstanding moral character; believes in the principles espoused in the constitution. Perhaps your people could align forces with "my group"

I am conditionally* offering an alliance against the bands of lawless roving sub-human marauders"

added:
* "conditionally":
because frankly your OPSEC sucks. I found you Everyone else will soon too.I don't know if I want to associate with a group advertising "dinners 's just about ready!"to the whole county.(i.e.setting themselves up for a slaughter.)
edit on 7-10-2011 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-10-2011 by 46ACE because: added...

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by graceunderpressure
The gatekeeper says, "We're a small, self-governed, self-sustained community, and we must be selective about accepting new members. You can stay here if you can contribute to our community in some meaningful way. Tell me one to three useful abilities, skills, or attributes that you can offer us."

What is your answer?

First, I have spent my entire adult life in long distance trucking. This has given me the ability to work long hours with minimal need for direction or supervision. I can contribute critical thinking and problem solving as well.

Second, I have several years experience in reloading ammunition for my own hunting and shooting sports participation. I would be happy to serve in your community's armory doing whatever is most needed.

Last but never least. In exchange for shelter in your community, I'll be more than happy to pick up whatever gopher work may need doing in addition to whatever job I'm best suited for.

Interesting scenario to think about. It highlights a personal need to work a wider diversity of skills, among other things.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by graceunderpressure

If I can smell food cooking and hear water trickling at the "checkpoint", then so can the teeming masses of starved, desperate families camped around your little compound. They been building there for a while growing hungrier and bolder by the day. You have by now retreated back inside your walls and even had to shoot one or two off the wire last night. What are you going to do, machine gun them all? You could do that? Pile up the bodies outside the gate?

Then what? Your secret compound better be really secret behind cliffs blocked by a 500 ft gorge with a blown bridge not spanning it. Your food stores and cooking fires better not smell or smoke or you will draw the attention of increasingly smaller and better equipped roving gangs that will not hesitate to kill everyone in you enclave for a few square meals and some gasoline and ammunition.

I would relocate your compound higher up on the cliffs and place observers and sniper teams that have unrestricted panoramic views of all approaches , which I have mined with command detonated devices. If anyone comes up that road they get a warning...

Nobody is going to come up there anyway, it is a long climb to this canyon and mountains just below the tree line. Besides the bridge is out and it appears no one is home. We are self sufficient here with nearby year round mountain springs and snow pack, pine trees filled with pine nuts and chipmunks, mule deer and mountain goat.

Added to our meager supplies that everyone brought along, we will have to winter in place and wait till the spring to go down into the valleys for more provisions. Most of the city people will be dead by then or long gone. Right now it is hunker down with the people and stores we have. We can ill afford to have more hungry mouths up here to feed. We made it up here ahead of everyone else now hunker down and wait.

That is why you won't accept me or any one if you want to survive. Ever read "Lucifer's Hammer" by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle? Covers that and more from a comet strike. Excellent Novel. Specifically covers post apocalyptic survival, complete with encampments and "checkpoints".

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   
I already volenteered to kill anyone who wasn't accepted into the place and take their resources... can't let them rise up that would be foolish....

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   
My resume would include the following:

Expert marksman 40 out of 40 with an m16
black belt in Karate
RN and midwife
can identify edible plants and medicinal herbs
dog trainer
AND KNOW Morse Code

If that doesnt get me in, I can juggle and do tricks
lol

Also keep the guy with super human spermies out of the camp, that one would need to be shot!

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thestargateisreal
reply to post by HellsTruant

Bikers are easy to deal with. If one gang attacks, make a donation to a bigger one.
My uncle was the founder of one of the largest bike clubs in the southeast. I'd rather donate to them than you. Good luck with those guys.
LOL LOL yes you're right if we're talkin' about the way it is right now on the streets. But if the situation is , it's every man for himself world, we wouldn't be around to deal with any other 1%ers after we took your "donations". Most likely we'd be moving on like the majority of people, including your uncle ( no disrespect here). So hangin' out at that compound could be risky for a pretty little thing like you....LOL

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   
One question....does your compound/community have a leader?

If answers yes, I'm gonna stay Waaaaay the heck away from you people. Any midsized community in a SHTF situation with one Alpha male leading the place is bound for doom. If your leader is a woman I may give a second thought, thinking ok these people realize the old model didn't work at least. Anyone falling back into it I wanna stay away from. But really it'd depend on if I was injured, alone , did my pre arranged spot get blown to bits already, alot of factors whether I'd wanna get in or stay away. But I'm thinking stay away is safest bet at least in the early days.

But...I confess, I'm thinking more of "The Road" , or "Mad Max", or "The Book of Eli", than "The Postman". All great books/films btw. Where most all small to mid sized groups with leaders are the bad guys.

However I think when the SHTF; IT IS gonna be real bad in some spots , ie "the Road".

but it might be not too bad in some areas, like when Eli finally made it to the West Coast (like the complete opposite side of the planet from where a good sized asteroid hit). That type of community I would definitely be a part of, and not for any religious belief, I just liked what they thought of as important values in a world restart. I suppose this is the type of set up you have OP, like when they ask Eli what he can offer them, before they let him in? If need be I have alot of useful skills as a builder/mechanic ect, no need to rattle all of them of here though.

If it is like bad, bad. I guess since I'm about 1 mile from the Coast, and thousands of boats which would likely be abandonned. I'd take my supplies and hit the sea, and live on a boat and fish for a long time. Hopefully I'll have a mate with me, and we can start a family, that might not be too bad.

Cool thread though makes you think. I wish I had alot of land and some money I'd be building a nice underground bunker all stocked up, that a few people could live in for 6 months at least sealed off from the world.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Why Me:

1. Having grown up working on farms and ranches, and being a life-long gardener, I am ready to help you get your cereal grain and row-crop production up to speed. Since I used to have a pesticide applicator's license, I am familiar with diagnosing pest infestations in wheat and corn, as well as non-chemical soil amendments to maximize fertility.

2. I can help you with your meat production program, given my experience with both large scale cattle farming as well as subsistence and micro-corp hog farming. If you don't already have a herd of swine, I can help you trap feral hogs (since I'm in Texas as I type this), and we can re-domesticate them...

3. My degree in archaeology can help us reconstruct a lot of the basic technology we'll need to for subsistence level farming. While I'm sure you are working on bio-diesel and getting a tractor running, I can help re-construct the tools you'll need to put large numbers of people to work growing their own food. Instead of one person driving a tractor to feed your whole community, doesn't it make more sense to build our own smithy, where the hordes of refugees can learn to make their own plows, hoes, and scythes? That way, they can learn to feed themselves without having to depend on you for a handout. After all, a broad but primitive production base is much safer than a single production point that relies on delicate technology.....

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by HellsTruant

My uncle is dead, hence the use of was. Bikers do move on, but they also enjoy a place to reload, clean up, and relax a bit, between moving. In fact, by that thinking, you and your buddies may want to make friends with us.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Nola213

I'm appointed leader.
How about an alpha female leader?

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Here's my résumé,

Am I in?

edit on 7-10-2011 by Xtraeme because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thestargateisreal

I'm appointed leader.
How about an alpha female leader?

Would someone who is an alpha female leader, need an appointment?

edit on 7-10-2011 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Ooh, I like the idea of a female leader... I'll just say that's the type of consciousness quickly catalyzing on this planet...

Personally, I'm a fit young man that has gotten past the lower fear paradigms while accumulating a wealth of knowledge about the structure of this Universe. I know more or less how the future events will play out and the reason numerous ET saviors will be luring you off world. There is, however... another option.

Hehe, major apocalyptic groups usually have a prophet.

Not that I am one. I hope to by biolocating by then, anyways...

edit on 7-10-2011 by ImplodeThisExistence because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by graceunderpressure

You've already given me the intel I need for my band of survivors to develope a war stratagy to take out your compound. We're well organised as we're the rednecks everyone was laughing at before the war as we were preparing for this day. You don't know that it's going to happen because the person you see in front of you plays the dumb guy.

We've got our own set up so we're not after you post war wealth.

No room in the new world for selective mentality. Every person counts.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

It sounds a lot more friendly if you say appointed.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by ImplodeThisExistence
Ooh, I like the idea of a female leader... I'll just say that's the type of consciousness quickly catalyzing on this planet...

Personally, I'm a fit young man that has gotten past the lower fear paradigms while accumulating a wealth of knowledge about the structure of this Universe. I know more or less how the future events will play out and the reason numerous ET saviors will be luring you off world. There is... another option.

Hehe, major apocalyptic groups usually have a prophet...

Not that I am one.

My country has a female leader and believe me I use that term loosely. It's not all it's cracked up to be

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Thestargateisreal

Alpha and pc your not going soft are you.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by steveknows

Listen here Steve... That woman is a damn Reptilian.

Keep those one liners to yourself and you might just make it out of this forum with some dignity intact. I'm talking about the feminine flavor of consciousness finally prevailing once again on this planet.

Carry on you crass assed brass heads.
edit on 7-10-2011 by ImplodeThisExistence because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 10:09 PM
link   
After reviewing this thread our colony will be a bunch of: Doctors, Cooks, Whores, and drunkards.

Lets see how long that lasts.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 10:09 PM
link   
1. I'm an old school barber (have my own scissors to boot)

2. My BOB also contains fruit and vegetable seeds, plenty of Advil, and losts of Irish Spring soap.

3. I've hunted and eaten long enough with just a bow & arrows, and a double edged blade to make it here to talk to you.

Any use for me?

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join