It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ESPN; Shame On You!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Now, I don't know just how big this rant is, but quite frankly, I am very disappointed in ESPN. Why? Well, I am sure by now that you have heard about Hank Williams Jr's controversial comment in which he compared Obama to Hitler.

ESPN decided to completely remove Hank Williams Junior and his famous song from Monday Night Football, for ever. This is completely unacceptable to me. Why? Because this is the United States Of America and we have a little something called freedom of speech.

While I completely disagree with his words, he has every right to say them and I would go as far as to call ESPN's actions unconstitutional. Hank was punished for practicing his right to free speech and this is unacceptable.

ESPN, shame on you for pulling such an awful stunt. Hank had every right to say what he did and quite frankly I hope you get sued for everything you are worth. I love Monday Night Football, but to be honest, it has not been the same since it was taken over to ESPN. Now, taking away Hank WIlliams Jr off as well?

Face it, you guys have screwed up royally and my only hope is that some how your ratings drop and you lose money because of it.

A man practiced his right to free speech and you fire him. Yeah, I know some of you will say he represented ESPN in a way, but no...Not really. He was speaking for himself and no one else, and doing so in his own time.

What more can I say? Shame on you ESPN.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Just because we have freedom of speech, doesn't mean everyone has to agree with what is said. So, being that HWj said what he did, ESPN probably no longer wants to be associated with that, and is showing everyone else that they don't agree with what was said.

Because I have freedom of speech, I shouldn't walk up to my employer and say, "**** you ***hole!" It might get me canned too.
edit on 7-10-2011 by Hydroman because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Dang it, he did NOT compare Obama to Hitler!!!!!!!

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   
I don't understand why he apologized. One can only feel very strong about saying something like that, unless Williams was talking out of his ass. It really isn't any worse than what political commentators say.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

No, ESPN's action wasn't "unconstitutional". The Constitution applies to the government. "Congress shall make no law... abridging the freedom of speech..." That has nothing to do with ESPN's right to terminate someone's employment.

Yes, Hank can say what he wants (threats, slander etc notwithstanding) without fear of being silenced... by the government.

Unless Hank has a contract that was violated by this action, ESPN can fire him at will.

Anyway, Hank says he quit, so it's moot.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Wow, a nomination for most ignorant, racist thread ever on ATS. Congratulations pal, your a BIGGOT.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Sorry, but Hank WIlliams was not in a pre-approved, designated free speech zone at the time, so he should be punished to the full extent of the tribunal that decides the law.

Originally posted by DrumminDude
Wow, a nomination for most ignorant, racist thread ever on ATS. Congratulations pal, your a BIGGOT.

You don't even know how to spell it, so it isn't surprising you don't know what it means.

Free speech is incredibly important. Attack someone who deserves it for a change.
edit on 10/7/2011 by DieBravely because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   
You mean Disney?

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hydroman
Just because we have freedom of speech, doesn't mean everyone has to agree with what is said. So, being that HWj said what he did, ESPN probably no longer wants to be associated with that, and is showing everyone else that they don't agree with what was said.

Because I have freedom of speech, I shouldn't walk up to my employer and say, "**** you ***hole!" It might get me canned too.
edit on 7-10-2011 by Hydroman because: (no reason given)

I see your "Just because we have freedom of speech, doesn't mean everyone has to agree with what is said." and raise you a "Just because you don't agree with what someone said doesn't mean you can fire them!!"

Free speech implies NO PERSECUTION for what was said and getting fired is pretty much a form of punishment this punishment is "negative reinforcement" against personal beliefs opinions expressed through free speech. THIS IS THE REASON they had to make it a constitutional amendment protecting that right because otherwise people with power would punish and fire people until they all think, believe and behave in ONE WAY...diversity of opinions would be gone...

A business owner shouldn't be able to control what their employees say/believe especially if what was said was off the clock so to speak. If they can then they are more then a business owner...they are a social/culture owner as well...and that S*** aint for sell...

Having said that, people need to recognize individual responsibility and the words from an employee should in no way reflect his employer and the business they are running negatively. Because it does businesses are inclined to cut ties with "free-speech" to save their interests...and this is where people who boycott businesses because an employee of said business said something they don't like, shove their own feet in their mouths....

Its not right and ill prove it to you.

Firing someone because they said something controversial is in essence belief discrimination. You are discriminating against that employee because of what they said...

Its no different than years ago firing someone because you found out they were "gay" or not hiring them all together because they were black...Because at the time having those "types of people" as employees reflected badly on your business...

It's not just the businesses fault...its societies fault. Just as back in the 50's society guided business to discriminate against black workers....its societies fault today to discriminate against someones personal right to their beliefs/opinions.

If we are every to have a truly FREE culture where people can TRULY speak as they wish without the fear of negative reinforcement we need to let get rid of the social consequences. The social consequences we are all conditioned with are what makes it possible for people with power to guide/create the status quo and social engineer the masses into stoning anyone who "thinks TOO differently"...

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

Hank > Obama+ESPN. I guess they will no longer get my viewer ship for the first 5 minutes of every game that I see his song played at the beginning of. I don't even watch football, but I stop channel surfing to hear his song.

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 07:21 PM
link   

I came home today and my sons were watching the start of a basketball game between Florida and Duke, on ESPN. I was here at the computer, but could see out of the corner of my eye that every few minutes, ESPN would put on a batch of commercials.

I started paying closer attention and noticed that the commercials were coming on a really weird points in the game. This player got fouled, which led to a 3 minute commercial break. Overall, the first half of the game, was 20 minutes of play, took over 45 minutes to complete, due to so many commercials!

Are people who watch ESPN so brain-dead that they'd watch an event that is over 50% TV commercials?!?! Apparently ESPN thinks they are, or they wouldn't insult the viewers like this.

Is the actual basketball game put on hold while commercials play? Or, is it a game that's played earlier in the day, and ESPN simply broadcasts it with all the commercial breaks inserted?

I remember when Cable-TV didn't have many commercials, because you paid a monthly subscription fee to cable company. I guess that monthly subscription fee all goes to executive salaries and bonuses now. Regardless...ESPN will rarely be playing in this house after my 17 and 18 year olds head off to college. May even get rid of Direct-TV all together, and just use one of the new alternative (and less expensive) methods for watching shows.

top topics

join