It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your best pub egg recipe? Belgians, Brits, Germans, Americans, Auzzies, anyone?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Call it nostalgia, but I'm craving some pub eggs as I write this.

The best cold hard boiled egg I ever had, bar none, was in a pub a few years ago. And although I prefer my eggs fresh and hot, still there's something to be said for the flavorful pub eggs, don't you think? Besides being a way for anyone to use up extra eggs before they deteriorate and become stale, it's a fun way to try different flavors. I do not live near the ocean, so real brine is out of the question. And is brine really necessary?

I'm assuming that wherever beer is served, there are pub eggs, but am I right or wrong? I just don't
know, since I'm not a beer drinker except on the hottest of summer days

Thanks in advance for your comments and recipes.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Us Brits only like pork scratchings or crisps in pubs......at least where i live anyway

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by aboutface

one word
paprika

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   

What you need is a nice Chinese one thousand year old egg with a pint of beer and some scratchings.

Similiarly, through the aging procedure, the supple, marigold-yellow yolk metamorphosizes into a milky gray, velvet meringue, delicately colored with greenish overtones.
The yolk of a thousand-year-old egg is said to closely emulate the whipped consistency of a ripened avocado or creamy marscapone cheese, and echos the flavors of a hard-boiled egg, but in a more concentrated package.
The eggs emit a panoply of aromas, perhaps the piercing of which is the faint odor of ammonia.

YeeEEarrggh!!
That sounds minging-but what does it look like?

It looks absolutely evil IMO.
Its a massively gone off egg.

passionateeater.blogspot.com...

Sorry its really fowl.

edit on 7/10/2011 by Silcone Synapse because: link

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   
I wish America was cool like that. However, the local micro-brew I go to serves homemade salsa and chips. Mmm Mmm delicious! Plus I'm in New Mexico so it's a bunch of American-Fried-Mexican Food. I found a recipe for pickled pub eggs. I gotta try that out!

How To Make Pickled Eggs

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   
In the US, we call them pickled eggs. They are usually pickled in a solution of sugar, vinegar and some salt.

The flavors that I have had other than plain vinegar, are mustard and red beet. The red beet eggs just have red beet juice added to the pickling solution.

My favorite? Red beet.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
I've only been in a couple of pubs where I've seen eggs in a big jar.
Never ate them, I think they're pickled, and the only thing I like pickled is a pickle

Let them grow into chickens, and then their wings are very tasty in a little hot sauce....

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   

oops

edit on 7-10-2011 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   
I don't know where you are from, but I have lived a majority of my time in the UK, but I have never seen any jars of eggs of any description on or behind the bar.

Crisps, nuts, pork scratchings, cheesy moments, chilli nuts, scampi fries and millions of othersnacks can be found in pubs, but never eggs..

The UK is probably the one place in the world where pub snacks are more plentiful than anywhere else in the world.

The only place you will really get jars of eggs are in the fish and chip shops where they have massive jars of pickled eggs and they are lovely with mushy peas and batters........

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....is it tea time yet?

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Back in my drinking days it was pickled quail eggs with boiler makers.

Here's a recipe for the eggs:

3 pounds beets (8 medium, including greens), scrubbed and stems trimmed to 1 1/2 inches
1 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 Turkish bay leaves or 1 California
5 whole cloves
24 quail eggs or 5 regular large eggs

Cover beets with cold water by 1 inch in a 3-quart heavy saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer beets, partially covered with lid, until tender, about 40 minutes. Transfer beets to a bowl with a slotted spoon (reserving them for another use), then measure out 2 cups beet cooking liquid, discarding remainder. Bring beet liquid to a boil in a small saucepan along with vinegar, sugar, salt, bay leaves, and cloves, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and cool pickling liquid completely, about 1 hour.
While pickling liquid cools, cover eggs with cold water by 1 inch in a small saucepan and bring to a boil, stirring gently (to help center the yolks in eggs). Reduce heat and gently boil eggs, uncovered and undisturbed, 3 minutes (or 10 minutes for regular eggs). Pour off water and shake pan so eggs hit each other, lightly cracking shells. Cover eggs with cold water and let stand 15 minutes (to stop cooking and facilitate peeling).
Drain and peel eggs, then transfer to a glass jar or deep bowl. Reserve 2 tablespoons pickling liquid (for watercress salad vinaigrette; recipe precedes) and pour remaining liquid over eggs. Let eggs (quail or regular) pickle, covered, 24 hours.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   
For bar food beginners:

For the more stout at heart:

These foods will survive even the most horrific Zombie Apockylips.

link   
reply to post by davethebear

Yeah, but you Brits eat jellied eels.

Do they keep those at the bars for a snack?

edit on 7-10-2011 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

link   
What's a pub egg? I've never heard of them. I've seen pickled eggs. They're just boiled eggs in a jar of vinegar.

I prefer a poached egg myself.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by OldCorp

What about 'Blind Robins'?

Road food

They sell these in bars to promote further drinking, as they are very salty.

A quote from the link:

These things would gag a billygoat.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   
American Pub Egg

Get your eggs and boil them until hard boiled(duh!) Jumbo eggs are acceptable, but not really-- bigger eggs from another bird are better. Roll the egg in a batter made out of more eggs, flour and mashed cheezum pringles. Take some bacon and start on one end and wrap it around the egg until it is completely covered with at least two layers of bacon. Deep fry it. When out, take some american cheese and press it over the surface, in a few layers. At this point, you might want to start using toothpicks to hold your slop together, but have them to where you can pull them out, so you don't chomp down on them and create a new blow hole in your sinus cavity. Chop up some pickles and onions and mix them with either hamburger or sausage and paste it over the surface, nice and thick. Here you can add spices, I don't' really recall what the recipe called for...it's some kind of parsley, oregano, black pepper, garlic mix...or you could just mix in some crushed seasoned bread crumbs. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and place a dollop of tomato paste on top your American pub egg. Shake salt and pepper as needed. Bake for 25-30 minutes. Eat

If you do make it, let me know how it is

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Viking9019
Us Brits only like pork scratchings or crisps in pubs......at least where i live anyway

Do I dare ask what pork scratchings are?
Never been to the lad of the Brits, but if someone has an extra ticket, I sure would love to go!

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Absco

Hey great find, full of pictures too! Thanks, that's one I'll be trying.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   
normally around here the pickled eggs are sold in chippies while pork scratchings are sold in the pubs....but DAMM you for making me hungry

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by aboutface

Originally posted by Viking9019

Do I dare ask what pork scratchings are?
Never been to the lad of the Brits, but if someone has an extra ticket, I sure would love to go!

Pork scratchings are a disgusting bag of chunks of hard fried pig skin,with hairs sticking out.
They break the teeth of those who eat them.
But some folks love them in the UK.

I think they are vom central.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy
reply to post by OldCorp

What about 'Blind Robins'?

Road food

They sell these in bars to promote further drinking, as they are very salty.

A quote from the link:

These things would gag a billygoat.

I'd sooner scarf down a plate of Rocky Mountain Oysters.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join