It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Artists: Today's prophets?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Is it possible that sudden inspiration, that comes from nowhere, is actually glimpses from the future? Visions, in all types and forms is unintentionally provided to the artist from the ether. But the world, and the artist as well, commonly look upon these visions, as simply a work of art and nothing more.

Or am I now just talking about the randomness of art that comes from our selves and others, created by the chaos of all the information we have to digest these days? I think that most of creations comes from this process, but in this case I am talking about the biggies within the arts. Have you ever looked at a piece of art – a film, painting, music, photograph etc, that made you feel something so incredibly powerful, but could not recognize the feeling? A fragment of something important, a small piece of a large puzzle perhaps? Or even connected some weird tangible dots regarding this topic?

It doesn’t even need to be important, the future seems to sometimes be leaking bits and pieces randomly into our present through some of us – and some of the examples mentioned below may seem like mere ’’accidental’’ prophecies by the commonalities of our everyday life.

Lets look at some of the artists from the past and the prophecies that unintentionally came true:

(sorry for sneaking a cracked article into this thread. Lol. But they have great writers and this prophecy is a must have for this thread.)

’’In 1838, future horror-god Edgar Allan Poe released a book called The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym of Nantucket, his only full novel. The book was such a bomb that Poe eventually agreed with his critics that it was "a very silly book" (yet still good enough to inspire heavyweights like Jules Verne and Herman Melville to write Moby Dick and An Antarctic Mystery -yes, Poe was a badass). Poe did a Blair Witch thing with his novel, which claimed to be based on true events. This turned out to be a half-truth: The real life events simply had not happened yet. One scene in The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym of Nantucket visits a whaling ship lost at sea, taking with it all but four crewmen.

Out of food, the men drew lots to see who would be eaten, the unfortunate decision landing on a young cabin boy named Richard Parker. Forty-six years later, there was an actual disaster at sea involving the Mignonette. It became famous due to the legal consequences of some gruesome events on board, specifically the way the men drew lots and decided to eat their cabin boy... The bizarre story was discovered decades later by Nigel Parker, a distant cousin of the Richard Parker who got eaten. You can only imagine what the f** went through his mind when he stumbled upon the connection. And that would go down as the freakiest unintentional prediction of future events in a work of fiction, if it were not completely blown away by...’’

Link to source

Credit Cards

’’First mentioned: Looking Backward, Edward Bellamy, 1888, Edward Bellamy’s novel envisioned a 21st century in which money was eliminated and people carried cards that held a certain amount of capital that could be spent. The idea’s a little closer to debit cards than credit cards, though the principle is the same.’’

Television Surveillance

’’First mentioned: 1984, George Orwell, 1949, George Orwell’s classic dystopian novel about totalitarianism spawned a number of phrases and ideas, from Big Brother to doublethink. It was the concept of omnipresent telescreens that foreshadowed the real-world rise of security cameras and closed-circuit television as a criminal deterrent. We now deal every day with cameras and monitors that seemed farfetched 60 years ago.’’

Link to source

Anti-Rape Condoms

’’Neal Stephenson’s 1992 dystopian cyberpunk novel Snow Crash makes mention of character YT’s "dentata" device, meant to deter potential rapists by clamping down on their penises with sharp, toothlike constructs that cannot come off without a doctor’s assistance. In 2005, Dr. Sonnet Ehlers developed an extremely similar mechanism after personally experiencing and working with victims of rape and sexual assault. Currently only available in South Africa, Rape-aXe functions in essentially the same manner as Stephen’s hypothetical construct. Unsurprisingly, controversy surrounds its availability. Though Ehlers intends to empower women by granting them sexual autonomy and alleviating their fear of attack, many feminists protest the anti-rape condom because they fear escalation. A monster enraged after meeting the razor-sharp business end of a Rape-aXe can still kill or further abuse his victim. It is a legitimate concern, and educating the populace on equality and tolerance remains the only way society can truly eliminate the deplorable acts of sexual violence.’’

Link to source

Take a look the the ancient prophets from the Bible, they were our today's clairvoyants. We call them clairvoyants, psychics, mediums etc, and I think certain artists may have been overlooked as prophets. A creative person can have a vivid dream, a vision, and find themselves translating this dream into a work of art, it does not have to be a vision about the Apocalypse, or some gruesome cataclysmic event. Simply this just may be futuristic leakage from the ether, and sometimes its misinterpreted by the recievers and sometimes its spot on, regardless of what the information is about . But still, I feel that this possible leakage is not purposely intended by God, The Higher Powers, The Spiritual Cosmos (call it what you will), that we are not an instrument of God when this occurs, its just simply a leakage that we are lucky to witness when it happens..

Thoughts?

(more examples from the original authors in links to sources)

And many thanks to my sister who gave me the idea to make this thread

edit on 7-10-2011 by creatureme because: wordyforgotty

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   
I've heard Terence McKenna talk about this before, pretty intriguing stuff.
It makes sense. I mean artists are seen as the trend definers of our age, they are at the forefront of change, just as prophets/shamans/medicine men/seers etc... were in their time.

Maybe there's nothing more to seeing the future than just been a free, creative thinker? Maybe alot more of us have glimpsed the future already, but put it down to strange dreams, or flights of fancy?

Oh great thread btw!
edit on 7-10-2011 by PrimalWisdom because: forgot to say nice thread

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by PrimalWisdom

Hmm, gonna check out his stuff about the topic
Thanks for the tip!

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   
You might wanna look up the term synchronicety. Think of it as when you ask question to the universe/higher self/god/unconcious you will recive answers from all directions if you focus on the question. The answers might seem random to you but go with the randomness and see if you figure something out. I have deja vu feeling often but they don't seem to make any differnce to me. I do trust my instincs very much. For instance I was abroad and for wome reason I thought I should probably buy a cap and I did. 5 minutes later some birds # on the cap. And I was very happy to not get that on my head. Im starting to think that my subconcious is much more intelligent than my concious mind and understand more.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Suppose god does exist and prophets are real... it's possible you could be right, but only because anyone could be a candidate for being a prophet.

As for artist only being today's prophets, no way, that would suck... a lot.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   
I think you have really hit the nail on the head. Artists definitely do see the future, although though a glass darkly. Syncronicity is to me a different thing. Equally as powerfull, but not necessarily related to seeing the future.

BUT, the artist suffers for their work. Have you heard of the Cassandra Syndrome?

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Melyanna
I think you have really hit the nail on the head. Artists definitely do see the future, although though a glass darkly. Syncronicity is to me a different thing. Equally as powerfull, but not necessarily related to seeing the future.

BUT, the artist suffers for their work. Have you heard of the Cassandra Syndrome?

The Fool

Let me fall into the sky
Take a chance and tumble high
Lift my feet from this dark road
Toss aside the heavy load

Just this once
To be free
I will play the Fool for me

Break the glass that holds me in
Shatter endings to begin
Kiss my fear and set it free
Watch it fly away from me

Just this once
To be free

Smash the pattern, burn the maze
No more shadow on my days
Break the chain and sever ties
Free me from these wicked lies

Just this once
To be free
Just this once
To be strong
I will find where I belong
Just this once
Just tonight
I will change the dark to light

All the time I had the key
Hidden deep inside of me
And at last I take the chance
Take a breath and join the dance

And another soul has woken up. I love finding these lyrics around the web. Gnarls Barkley Crazy is a nice tune also. All awoken have their own story they are supposed to tell to shape the pattern and since I don't know the pattern created by lifethreads I don't know what is going to happen. But prophecies of doom shall be seen as shaping tools for awakening. If your in a bad place you will fall until your ready for the change or the right information will arrive. If your in a good place with faith you will not belive the prophecy because you know you are protected.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   
The Priestess

Play the Priestess
Cut the veil
Play the Priestess
Change the tale

Lying tongues fill the night
Obscuring truth, wrong and right
Change the channel
Turn the knob
Nothing different
Turn it off

Play the Priestess
Cut the veil
Play the Priestess
Change the tale
Play the Priestess
Think, perceive
Play the Priestess
Do not believe

Like the spread of a disease
If you’re paying they will please
Try another
Try a new source
Nothing different
Nothing of course

Spill the truth into the light
See them spoiling for a fight
Raise the banner
Draw the knife
Kill the tv
Save your life

Play the Priestess
Cut the veil
Play the Priestess
Change the tale
Play the Priestess
Think, perceive
Play the Priestess
Do not believe

They can whisper
They can scream
If you turn away
They can’t do anything

Another song about freeing your mind an waking up from the dream and become enlightened.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   
If you listen to this much then I get that you are in a bad mood. It tells the truth to wake you up. But it does it by pushing you down until you make the change you need to make. Listen to Creed if you can stand them, if you wanna hear it from a positive way instead.

I will tell you fantasy I have. The fantasy is that there is a planet that is corrupted and is being destroyed from within. It is being destroyed by peoples ego, pride, hate and thirst for power. But at one time souls that were tired of the pain coming from the planet said enough is enough. We can't let them continue on their own because they have totaly lost their way. So these souls choose to be reincarnated here to bring about the change that is needed. They wake up one after another at their specified time and do their tasks to bring change by being a example of the higher ideal. The inhabitans on the world became more and more aggitated because they could no longer be blind to the corruption and stupidety of the systems they had built up and started to scream for change at different places in earth. The where also noticing that time was feeling faster than before. At this point I don't now how the fantasy ends. Armegeddon, harvest, heaven on earth thru awakeening or a continuation of hell on earth.

If I am ranting remove my posts as offtopic.

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   
thankyou for this thread
i do not whether to call it art, but i made a try to link up with the energy of
the incoming entity elenin
following image came to me: link
often get my inspiration in a second, poems, drawings or whatever...
and from there i can only try to describe it to the best of my ability
passing it on from heart to heart
thankyou

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by creatureme

Artists: Today's prophets?

It would seem so. "1984" "Brave New World" "Welcome to The Monkey House" "Player Piano" and many, many other works,

all reflect some of today's world.

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Many artists do seem to have some sort of ummm 'contact' with something.

For example Hitler was a failed artist and spent several years make a living by painting portraits and living in squalor. He then became interested in the Thule Society and Vril Society who claimed to be in contact with beings from another star. Apparently the beings channeled plans for a spaceship through the mediums.
Nazis - The Occult Conspiracy

Google Video Link

Artists; Why might artists suffer more from mental illness?
www.nyfa.org...

In 1992 Dr. Arnold M. Ludwig, a psychiatrist at the University of Kentucky Medical Center, published an extensive biographical survey of 1,005 famous 20th-century artists and writers, comparing their mental health with those of individuals in other, more conventional, professionals. Ludwig discovered that artists and writers experienced two to three times the rate of psychosis, suicide attempts, mood disorders, and substance abuse than did comparably successful people in business, science, and public life. Ludwig went so far as to trace various types of mental illness to different creative professions: he found that if you're a poet you're more likely to suffer from mania and psychoses; a musician or actor, drug abuse; a composer, artist, or non-fiction writer, alcohol dependence. In Ludwig's analysis, those professions which rely on precision, reason, and logic have a much lower rate of mental illness than those that rely on emotive expression, personal experience, and vivid imagery as a source of inspiration.

In other words, it could always be worse--you could be a poet.

Where do a lot of these famous artists find their inspiration?
Many find them from the old teachings of mystery babylon, also the hermetic traditions and their offspring such as;
Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn
en.wikipedia.org...

William Butler Yeats (1865–1939), Irish poet, dramatist, and writer.
Sara Allgood (1879–1950), Irish stage actress and later film actress in America
Allan Bennett (1872–1923), best known for introducing Buddhism to the West
Aleister Crowley (1875–1947), occult writer and mountaineer
Bram Stoker[41][42] (1847–1912), Irish writer best-known today for his 1897 horror novel Dracula

Thelema Book of the Law (channeled by Aleister Crowley in a pyramid)
en.wikipedia.org...

Thelema is a religious philosophy (referred to by some as a religion)[1] that was established, defined and developed[2] by the early 20th century British writer and ceremonial magician, Aleister Crowley. He believed himself to be the prophet of a new age, the Æon of Horus,[3] based upon a religious experience that he had in Egypt in 1904.[1] By his account, a possibly non-corporeal being that called itself Aiwass contacted him and dictated a text known as The Book of the Law or Liber AL vel Legis, which outlined the principles of Thelema.[1][4]

Illuminati Hollywood Insiders: Beneath the Surface 1 of 8

Hollywood Insiders: Beneath the surface follows the career of movie writers such as:

James Cameron,
Roland Emmerich,
David Goyer,
Michael Ferris.

It also examines symbolism in movies like: Avatar, 10000BC, 2012, The men who stare at Goats, Sherlock Holmes, Surrogates, Jumper, and The Crow 2. Further, it analyzes predictive programming, the mayan calender, global warming, the supernatural, mythological retellings in movies.

This is really just the tiniest of hints at what you seek, as what you seek must be experienced yourself.

I wish you the best of luck.
edit on 9-10-2011 by MasterGemini because: (no reason given)

This is a docu about the founding of America, but it goes into the details of how Sir Francis Bacon has been an almost prophetic character in history. It is quite long, but it and its two sequels (equally as long) are worth a viewing when there is time.

They hint that he may have been involved in the Shakespeare conspiracy (Spear shaker = Athena = Rosicrucian importance = Bacon THE Rosicrucian)

Google Video Link

Francis Bacon
en.wikipedia.org...

Text

edit on 9-10-2011 by MasterGemini because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 04:54 AM
link   
reply to post by MasterGemini

Awesome reply! Thank you so much, unfortunately im on my way to greece, so i only get to read a fraction of what you have gathered here
will read it all when i get there

By the way, i just read that former bassplayer from weezer predicted his own death and made a tweet about it two weeks earlier before it happened. He apparantly dreamt that he died in his sleep.. which he did.
edit on 10-10-2011 by creatureme because: info

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 11:46 PM
link   

I'm a musician AND a writer but the only drugs I ever take are caffeine in my coffee and tea and my antidepressants due to suffering with major depression

Pretty cool thread though creatureme

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 12:45 AM
link   
It's all about the spontaneity!

Being spontaneous is when we do something before we understand it. So we realize it later on and give it meaning from our future more evolved state. Alternately, someone else might understand it for us and we accept it. This is the moment of realization, when things become real or manifest. In this way we can connect with our future.

Artists employ the use of spontaneity quite often, so yes I would say the future comes through their art. Pictures hold a lot more information than words too.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by curious7

I'm a musician AND a writer but the only drugs I ever take are caffeine in my coffee and tea and my antidepressants due to suffering with major depression

Pretty cool thread though creatureme

Back from Greece! They obviously do not care for traffic safety or finishing the work on their houses, don't think ever saw a complete house..

Anyways, I think drugs vs artists is makes the opposite of enhancing creativity, i think, if they could really lay of the bad stuff their talent could be exploited to their utter limits. You have many famous writers who drank themselves to death, but what if they didn't drank at all? Think about how much more they could achieved!

But of course, there is an obvious connection between mental illness and creativity.. And its difficult, I suffer from depression myself, and I am a photographer. Its really hard sometimes...

edit on 16-10-2011 by creatureme because: dep

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Wow, the more I think of it, it seems that there must be a connection between these artists and their work. And also the fact that their enlightenment seems to be such a burden. Great thread, and we need more like these ones. Keep up the good work Creatureme!

See you in the future

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   
hi all.

artists paint murals. murals have stuff *in* them.

to wit.

www.sptimes.com...

Childish strokes take on air of prophecy
By LUCY MORGAN
© St. Petersburg Times,
published October 13, 2001

Perhaps the CIA should have looked in Quincy, a small town in the Florida Panhandle about 30 miles east of Tallahassee.

There on a wall-sized, brightly colored mural painted about six years ago, a group of school children imagined the unthinkable.
[1996]

There on a wall-sized, brightly colored mural painted about six years ago, a group of school children imagined the unthinkable.

The twin towers stand out, with windows lighted up and faces peering from them. Some of the windows seem to be filled with fire, and people are shown jumping from the building. The Empire State Building appears in the background, and a large jet airplane flies directly at the upper floors of the trade center.

The children who painted the mural were part of a summer reading program at the Gadsden County Library.

from the moths of babes.......

How many murals across the country are filled with predictions of things to come?!

freestone

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by freestonew

My god, I can't believe I forgot to mention this in my thread! I have totally forgot about this one, thank you so much for sharing!

new topics

top topics

join