It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's up with this annoying flash ads that now have sound aswell?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Since the last few days every time I went to ATS I got a flash ad making nasty sounds on the frontpage.
It's really horrible since if you have a voip conversation or a video running suddenly your sound is ruined and it can take some time to figure out which browser tab is doing this.
In the instances where it appeared I immediately closed my tabs (so a successful visit was prevented).
I think ATS doesn't need those particulars ads to be productive, so it's best if staff would remove them.
What do you think?

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by martiendejong
Since the last few days every time I went to ATS I got a flash ad making nasty sounds on the frontpage.
It's really horrible since if you have a voip conversation or a video running suddenly your sound is ruined and it can take some time to figure out which browser tab is doing this.
In the instances where it appeared I immediately closed my tabs (so a successful visit was prevented).
I think ATS doesn't need those particulars ads to be productive, so it's best if staff would remove them.
What do you think?

I hate them. They start if you have been innactive on the home page for a while - I think they do it on purpose to stop you from doing this as it uses up their bandwidth. Or I could just be an old conspiricy theorist! lol

They are indeed very annoying, and I wish they would get rid of them.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Heh, maybe you're right. But then they could as well stop the homepage from refreshing after a while, but you may be right who knows ..

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Use this if you need flash but don't want those annoying adverts with sounds:

Mozilla Firefox:
addons.mozilla.org...

Google Chrome:
chrome.google.com...

You can whitelist sites you "trust" (ex; youtube, so videos load automatically)

It stops it loading and just places a button in place of the flash content, when you click it, it loads as normal.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   
They are theeeeee most annoying thing on the internet.

Half way through a song or trying to be quiet on the laptop and then boom! some dodgy talking advert comes on and because I have about 8 tabs open I have to try and find out where they are coming from.

I find them intrusive and I would not click them even if I wanted to.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by fatpastyhead
They are theeeeee most annoying thing on the internet.

Half way through a song or trying to be quiet on the laptop and then boom! some dodgy talking advert comes on and because I have about 8 tabs open I have to try and find out where they are coming from.

I find them intrusive and I would not click them even if I wanted to.

This is something advertisers need to realise. The more they annnoy us the less likely we are to purchase their products.

In fact there are some products which I would otherwise use, which I now boycot purely because I find their advetising annoying to the point of offensive. There is a local taxi company who I will never use, and when their adverts come on the radio I change the channel. Bad adverts may make you remember the brand, but in my case it reminds me to avoid them!

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 11:24 PM
link   
I just got one for a video game (dunno why it targeted me, I don't visit online video game sites...).

"World of Tanks".

Guess should add that to SkepticOverlord's "Annoying Ads" hit list thread.......

Adding the linky: Worst Ads Ever! (SkepticOverlord's Ad Hitlist)
edit on Fri 7 October 2011 by ProudBird because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Am having these ads constantly since a week now, and to be honest I am to the point where I spend half the time on ATS.
SNIP

I am all for the ads as it brings revenue, but this is too extreme. Please do something !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
edit on 14-10-2011 by Monte-Carlo because: (no reason given)

edit on 4/23/2015 by Blaine91555 because: TAC violation

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 05:44 PM
link   
I hate that, too. It's always cranked way loud.

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 06:15 PM
link   
a reply to: martiendejong

Hate it. Hate it. Hate it.

The ads on this site just get more ridiculous as time goes on.

Whoever came up with this idiotic lesson in high annoyance should be tied to a chair in a small room and forced to listen to these stupid frigging ads over and over and over until they are a sobbing mess. This person is the devil.

There I said it.

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 06:29 PM
link   
ok, I'll play devil's advocate...ahem....this site needs ad money to operate, if you do not want to pay for this site, you'll have to put with a little annoyance with ads.....and with all due respect to some other sites, this is a pretty cool site...you don't have conversations grinding down to the "F U, no F U" level of teenage rectumbreaths. give the owners a break and enjoy what you have, ATS is one of the best.
edit on 23-4-2015 by jimmyx because: (no reason given)

top topics

join