It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Satellite shuts down some Canada communications (Sun zap it?)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 07:16 AM
link   
I don't know if it was due to the Solar storms, but we DID have two X class flares. and this bird is parked near the polar obit. Hope they can get that back up and working. Its a life-line for many in the harsh lands of Canada.

Satellite shuts down
edit on 10/7/2011 by Pharyax because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pharyax
and this bird is parked near the polar orbit.

um no, you cant park anything at a "polar orbit".

All geostationary satellites are over the equator.
Telesat's Anik F2 satellite is actually at 111.1 degrees west, over the Pacific Ocean, south of Mexico.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 07:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pharyax
I don't know if it was due to the Solar storms, but we DID have two X class flares. and this bird is parked near the polar obit. Hope they can get that back up and working. Its a life-line for many in the harsh lands of Canada.

Satellite shuts down
edit on 10/7/2011 by Pharyax because: (no reason given)

If it was due to one of the EMP waves of the sun, then no they can;t fix it. EMP fries the cercuits, so they need to replace it or send a new on into orbit.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 07:50 AM
link   
It's in its eclipse season, where the earth blocks the sun for about an hour from the satellite's perspective. That only comes around in a short span of time twice a year near the time of the equinox, but during that time the satellite has to spend a considerable time running off of batteries, recharge those batteries, and switch power sources, all while going through extreme temperature shifts. I'm wondering if it's something as simple as failing to switch back to solar power after going through earth's shadow (which it did) a few hours before the failure happened. It could have also just been a random component failure or a cosmic ray strike causing a computer error. Those things happen.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 07:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Required01

Communication with the satellite has been re-established. The problem is with determining why it malfunctioned (the malfunction, as an automatic precaution, caused the satellite to turn toward the sun, which is what interrupted service).

There are really no "EMPs from the Sun." What there are are solar flares, which produce radiation capable of interrupting satellite functions. These are almost never powerful enough to zombify an entire satellite - though, to my knowledge, it has happened, at least once.
However, as I said, communication with the satellite has been re-established, so it's still alive up there. The issue now is to figure out what caused the malfunction.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 08:09 AM
link   
never mind
edit on 7-10-2011 by Illustronic because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by ngchunter
It's in its eclipse season, where the earth blocks the sun for about an hour from the satellite's perspective. That only comes around in a short span of time twice a year near the time of the equinox, but during that time the satellite has to spend a considerable time running off of batteries, recharge those batteries, and switch power sources, all while going through extreme temperature shifts. I'm wondering if it's something as simple as failing to switch back to solar power after going through earth's shadow (which it did) a few hours before the failure happened. It could have also just been a random component failure or a cosmic ray strike causing a computer error. Those things happen.

I remember in the late 90's or 2000 dish network had a ticker warning of the outage like this.. interesting.. I left Dish in 2002 when HD came out... Plus, every time it rained Dishnetwork would go out.. and they compress their signal waaay too much.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 08:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Pharyax

Yes dish transmission is compressed way too much, I believe you can tell by how far off real time you receive the transmission as to how much the signal is compressed, (I may be wrong).

I submit my observation from 2005 when I had at some point in time DirecTV, cable, analogue, and Eye TV digital Mac computer TV receiver all on at once while watching a typical Steelers game. I had the kitchen TV on antenna analogue, it would show me the closest to live action, next room in the living room I had that TV on Time Warner cable, I could see it was a second and a half later, if I ran upstairs to my den I had a small TV on DirecTV, I could see the play almost again as there was about another second delay, then even later the compression on the computer recording DirecTV would have another second and a half delay, so if I'm quick and miss a play in the kitchen, I can watch it being received by the computer in transmission compression delay.

Of course now there is no more analogue TV transmission in the USA.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Not just that satellite. My internet sat was down all day yesterday, and then the tv satellite went out about 8:00 last night.
They are 2 completely different companies, tv run by Shaw, and internet run by xplornet.

My first thought was sun spots, but we'll probably never know.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

Hmm... I was having an unusually hard time connecting to, and then staying on, the internet here, as well, yesterday.
Maybe coincidental. Or not. I've had this wireless hub since January, so it's not a huge time to judge normalcy...but it was a first in those few months.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   
There's another thread that just came up about NASA TV and the ISS feed being down today also. I wonder if it's related in any way

www.abovetopsecret.com...

There's so much we don't know about various space activity/happenings, we might be affected by more than the sun. So much to still learn about.
Imagine how much more we would know about our environment, both here and away from Earth, if money was spent on education, research and exploration, instead of war toys.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Wireless is local, you still get the source from satellites no?

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   
The last X-class flare was recorded on Sept. 24.

Nothing in particular going on with the Sun or the geomagnetic field yesterday.
There was some brief G2 storming the day before.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

Well I was outside today and didn't burn up. I doubt in the history of mankind anyone got burt up from the sun instantly. I believe the internet is the fuel of fear, and information in the wrong minds create chaos. Just my opinion, because the weather was much more volatile in the early 60's than it is today yet I hear of more doom today than ever, and these people didn't live through the American Dust Bowl like my father did that however, is still alive today.

People need a better tailor, and human skill is lost in this throw away world we live in nowadays. Do your math on paper with a pencil like they did when NASA landed on the moon, they had an eraser at the other end also, I believe they were known as No. 2 pencils.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by snowspirit
Not just that satellite. My internet sat was down all day yesterday, and then the tv satellite went out about 8:00 last night.
They are 2 completely different companies, tv run by Shaw, and internet run by xplornet.

My first thought was sun spots, but we'll probably never know.

Well i'm on xplornet also was down for just over 24 hours
At first i was thinking NASA or NSA or something shut me down because of my few
comment about Phage

But then there was a provincial election on in Ontario quess they wanted to control the outcome

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Trillium

Yeah. That must be it.
Our technology is too perfect for technical problems to occur.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Ya Phage the truth is sometime stranger than fiction

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 08:28 PM
link   
This may be a little off topic but I think I know something that could take out every thing in orbit. It is not a EMP or a CME. Nothing as high tech as that. Space is full of junk. I believe that one day well will pass though a dirty area of space and a billion billion billion tiny buck shoot bits of rock traveling a 10s of thousands of miles an hour is going to shoot gun blast everything in orbit to bits. We could lose everything in just hours or even minutes and it could take years to get back. Not only the time need to build and launch new satellites but for the rocks and other space junk to clear up enough so we can put some up with out it get hit. That could take many years, like lets say 100 or so.
All of this is based on nothing more than a dream I had a few years back but it sounds like something that very well could happen.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Trillium

Depends on the fiction.
But it doesn't make the fiction any less fictional.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Ya my exact concern which is the lease of two evil
fiction pass off as the truth or
Truth that is fictionalize

It only your own truth if you accept it

new topics

top topics

join