It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Don't you think that religion is a bit too old skool now?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 06:49 AM
link   
I am not a religious man. I believe that there is is no correct religion to follow, personally, that is what I believe.

I also believe that whatever religion you believe in is all down to a type of lottery system. It all depends a majority of the time in which country/continent you were born. That is all it's down to really and what your parents/family believe before you are brought into this world.

From the day you are born you are surrounded by indoctrination informing you that the religion you are born into is the one true religion. Without being able to explore and make your own mind up in your own time, it is drilled into individuals from birth, school, friends, family, relationships, marriage and all the way to death. You are not given the real freedom of choice, that's what I am saddened about.....

Children should be given the time to explore and be able to make their own minds up rather than be surrounded by brainwashing and indoctrination.

It's all about breeding, nurture, customs and mostly the place you are born......

I wish that there was a new planet that was made religion free. Where the slightest mention of anything connected with religion that was uttered meant banishment back to earth, then I would be there like a shot....

Do you ever think about man and his beginnings before religion was invented? Unfortunately, religion came into the picture and ruined the whole existence of man and his future. The bible tells us of heaven and hell, sin and forgiveness, and what is supposed to happen in the last days before Armageddon and whether individuals go to heaven or hell. That in itself rears up pictures of sadness, fighting and chaos that actually ruins men and women and the way that they run their lives. All the time there is this fictional ending place that has a bearing on peoples lives from the time they are born until they die. Why not just let people be born, live their life and then die? How simple and beautiful would life be if it wasn't for all the other added pressures and stress related to a life after this one, when people don't really enjoy this life in the way it was meant to be enjoyed

I often wonder what would have become of man if religion hadn't reared it's ugly head upon the world...

Isn't it a shame that we will never know? That is unless we do happen to come upon other life on other worlds. Then we will be able to see how they progressed in hopefully the manner that we should have done,,,

If you do want to reply to this, then please do not bother sending biblical texts and the like. I am not interested in all that. But what are your thoughts around the religion lottery and where you are born and do you ever think about what life would have been like without religion.

Don't you think that religion has had it's day now?

Don't you think that religion is a bit too old school now?

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 06:54 AM
link   
reply to post by davethebear

Yes, religion is a bunch of old bull#. There is just no proof of god ever existing. I'd rather believe in the flying spaghetti man than god. At least I know that I can make the spaghetti man appear. If people want to worship please keep it at your church or in your home, if you come to my door asking me to come to be a witness;somebody will be meeting their maker.
edit on 7-10-2011 by Heartisblack because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 07:02 AM
link   
I for one would like to see these religious people mentally evaluated and have their kids taken away from them in case they infect them with their idiotic beliefs.

Yes this is an extreme idea for people that are growing up around religious people or are brought up religious themselves but that's like a monkey thinking the humans are the ones behind bars and they have no right to even discuss this topic.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 07:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by FriendlyGopher
I for one would like to see these religious people mentally evaluated and have their kids taken away from them in case they infect them with their idiotic beliefs.

Yes this is an extreme idea for people that are growing up around religious people or are brought up religious themselves but that's like a monkey thinking the humans are the ones behind bars and they have no right to even discuss this topic.

I like your monkey analogy......They are brought up behind bars, but only have the mindset that we are the ones who are caged...very similar to indoctrination and brainwashing from an early age around religion.....

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 07:12 AM
link   

My opinion on this matter, to each his own. It is impossible with 100% certainty to prove if God is there or not, that is why there is faith. I definitely agree that religion should not be used to carry out personal intent, it is actually a very personal and private matter for an individual if anything.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 07:16 AM
link   

You have to consider there are still alot of older people alive, which where brought up to believe in their religion, and have been doing it their whole life, even if most of them do it rather casually nowadays. Still, their lives are anchored to the customs of that religion, like baptizing their kids, celebrating x-mas, easter, funerals etc. To give all that up is just unthinkable, especially if you have been doing it your whole life which is soon about to end. Even though alot of people may in fact be rational enough to realize it is all just a story, they would rather defend that belief a few more years rather than abandon it, if for nothing else than the solace it gives them to believe they will soon go to a better place when they die. That glimmer of hope is certainly worth it to the old people. Even though it retards society as a whole, i think we the younger generations have to accept this until those oldies die off. Give it 30 more years and i would say most religions will be gone anyway.
edit on 7-10-2011 by NeoVain because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Yes, but then who will we embarrass on these types of forums?

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 07:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Unvarnished

My opinion on this matter, to each his own. It is impossible with 100% certainty to prove if God is there or not, that is why there is faith. I definitely agree that religion should not be used to carry out personal intent, it is actually a very personal and private matter for an individual if anything.

Totally agree that religion/faith is a private matter to the individual person. I have no problem with that, but what I do detest is the ones who feel that I should be told about stories of old and what will happen to me when I am no longer of this world. Let me worry about that, just let me get on with my life the way I see fit..........

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 07:26 AM
link   
I never really thought about what the world would be like without religion, but I bet it would be entirely different and wonderful!

As much as I dislike organized religion and think it's a man-made system whose sole purpose is to control the populous, I also believe in the freedom for parents to raise their kids as they see fit...

When we start talking about how brainwashing and 'guilting' of children can be abusive, then I start to think that maybe people shouldn't be free to abuse their kids... It's a tough question.

But for now, I think the best thing is continued education. I do think religion will completely fall out of favor and I hope I'm right, but until then, I couldn't bring myself to vote to outlaw religion or anything like that. I think it's a shame these kids are being indoctrinated with this crap, because it makes them afraid (I know - I was one) but it's one of MANY awful mistakes that parents are making without even realizing it...

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 07:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by NeoVain

You have to consider there are still alot of older people alive, which where brought up to believe in their religion, and have been doing it their whole life, even if most of them do it rather casually nowadays. Still, their lives are anchored to the customs of that religion, like baptizing their kids, celebrating x-mas, easter, funerals etc. To give all that up is just unthinkable, especially if you have been doing it your whole life which is soon about to end. Even though alot of people may in fact be rational enough to realize it is all just a story, they would rather defend that belief a few more years rather than abandon it, if for nothing else than the solace it gives them to believe they will soon go to a better place when they die. That glimmer of hope is certainly worth it to the old people. Even though it retards society as a whole, i think we the younger generations have to accept this until those oldies die off. Give it 30 more years and i would say most religions will be gone anyway.
edit on 7-10-2011 by NeoVain because: (no reason given)

Yeah, I understand what you are saying, but as time goes on people are always getting older so the conveyor belt of religion goes on and on through the generations from one to another. I would like to think that religion as we know it would come to an end in another 30 years, but some how I don't think it will.............unfortunately..

The world is now forever stuck in the loop of what has been going on for bleams and bleams and will carry on for bleams and bleams to come...well that's what I think....

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 07:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
I never really thought about what the world would be like without religion, but I bet it would be entirely different and wonderful!

As much as I dislike organized religion and think it's a man-made system whose sole purpose is to control the populous, I also believe in the freedom for parents to raise their kids as they see fit...

When we start talking about how brainwashing and 'guilting' of children can be abusive, then I start to think that maybe people shouldn't be free to abuse their kids... It's a tough question.

But for now, I think the best thing is continued education. I do think religion will completely fall out of favor and I hope I'm right, but until then, I couldn't bring myself to vote to outlaw religion or anything like that. I think it's a shame these kids are being indoctrinated with this crap, because it makes them afraid (I know - I was one) but it's one of MANY awful mistakes that parents are making without even realizing it...

Thanks for what you wrote Benevolent Heretic,

I whole heartedly agree with what you wrote. I am presuming now that you were brought up in a religious family and it takes you a long time in order to sort out your own feelings and thoughts about what you actually do or want to believe. From a young age children's minds are infiltrated with information that is not really needed. We grow up being told nursery rhymes and tall stories and we know that it is just made up for fun. But the telling of the bible is a different matter and should not be used in the same kind of manner as what Little Red Riding Hood is or the Three Little pigs.......

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Do you ever think about man and his beginnings before religion was invented? Unfortunately, religion came into the picture and ruined the whole existence of man and his future.

How do you suppose religon came into the picture?
a)Did a bunch of primitive folk wake up one day and decided to start religion?
b)Or did they experience / see something that could be classified as a divine encounter.. that led to the establishement of what we know as religious concepts.

IMO, its b).

I often wonder what would have become of man if religion hadn't reared it's ugly head upon the world...
Isn't it a shame that we will never know?

Since we cant know... how does one conclude that a world without religion *has* to be better than a world with religon?

Don't you think that religion has had it's day now?

I think its religious authority over YOUR life that you should be worrying about first and foremost.
And with regard to the western world, you can be sure that the days of religious authority, if not religion as a whole, are over...( unless of course you are living in area where religious police constantly tell you what you can/can't do.)

Imagine a George Carlin doing his thing during the medival ages... or a Richard Dawkins publishing his books during the medival ages... or for that matter, yourself questioning religion in a time/land where religious authority was law. Things were tough for non-believers back then... not anymore.

Today, in western countries, we see religion getting torn apart... in books, movies, tv, stand up comedy etc. So to still hold that your life is under threat by religious groups is absurd.

edit on 7-10-2011 by sk0rpi0n because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Personally, I think trying to make other people conform to your beliefs, regardless of if you believe in any particular religion or believe there should be no religion at all, is a bit too old skool now.

Trying to force people not to have religion is pretty much the same as forcing them to have it. Its still forcing a system of beliefs on people.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   
I look at religion as having had it's purpose at the time and we have since moved on due to our understanding of science.

But the fundamentals of what we are told by religion shouldn't be forgotten.

One has to look at if we were to come upon earth, inhabited by club wielding cave people and how one would go about attempting to civilize them ?

How would you prevent them from killing one another over food scraps or anothers woman ?

You would start with some fundamental laws....like the 10 commandments....don't kill, don't steal, don't screw your neighbor's wife etc.

but to try to live in harmony with one another and with the intent to create a more civilized society.

So, now that we are somewhat civil and have a somewhat civilized society the fundamental mission of religion has been met.

Which was to convert us from behaving like animals. ...

but on second thought. in looking at all of the violence we have in our world today ....perhaps not....

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   

I just made a petition about stricter rules against breaches of the 1st amendment! If I get 25,000 signatures in 30 days, the petition is looked at by the White House! Please take a look. I think a lot of the problems we have with the way our government is run would be changed if the White House honestly took a closer look at the 1st amendment.

Here is the link to it:

Bring life back to the 1st amendment!!!

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   

No, I think, properly understood, that it can help lead us all into a new age of reason and spirit.

new topics

top topics

join