It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The U.S. approved to grant 400 M1A1 Abrams to... Greece!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 05:31 AM
link   
Wasn't this covered last night in the new Sorcha Haal thread?

here - Thread - Russian leader tells top-generals "prepare for armageddon"

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 05:48 AM
link   
so the greeks get to pay $8 million dollars for some end of the line tanks that the USA doesnt want and can probably now start charging for spares and repairs at a very healthy profit for the manufacturers, looks like a winner for the USA in my books

and who the hell these days uses tanks? they can be blown up by some helicopter beyond the line of sight making them an expensive bullseye

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 06:23 AM
link   
I believe it's the USA supplying it's allies with military supplies for the coming WW3.

Of course though the Military Industrial Complex just needs another pay day tbh

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 07:06 AM
link   
Definitely scary.

However, the M1A1s aren't exactly obsolete. Yes, they aren't used much because they have lost much of their effectiveness from when tanks were originally developed. However, if you doubt the effectiveness of M1A1s, check the following link.

M1A1 Abrams

I don't know about you, but if I saw THAT much firepower coming for me, I'd wish I was somewhere else.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 07:12 AM
link   
So we spent billions to help them get out of misery and they decide to buy tanks for that money instead of fixing their own problems. The dutch has because of the cuttbacks decided to get rid of all the tanks in the Netherlands.

I can see it allready whats happening in my mind, we want our money back and they are standing ready with their newly bought tanks.... try to get it if you can.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 07:50 AM
link   
I see China or Israel being a behind-the-scenes player in all this tbh...

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 08:23 AM
link   
What replaced the m1a1 tank? That tank was a beast! what is the new?

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Remember Tiananmen square in China? I was a wee boy myself when it happened but I could never forget the images on the news.

Nothing squashes a riot better than a tank. Better yet, those that get squashed are less pensions, benefits, welfare that the government has to pay out.

Austerity and pacification in one package.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 08:52 AM
link   
More than likely, the tanks are sitting in Iraq right now, rusting, and the Israelis are adament that they should not be left to the new Iraqi government--whatever that may turn out to be--because they could become a future threat to Israel.

Plus, I doubt that there will be any exchange of money from Greece for them. sorta of one of those wink, wink deals.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Jordan River

It wasn't replaced so much as it isn't used much anymore, now that there are more effective anti-tank weapons available. What's the point in sending in a multi-million dollar tank when it can just be blown up/damaged, and takes forever to get from Point A to B? Besides, the US doesn't usually need to send in the tanks. Helicopters and Humvees can usually handle most of what the US military runs into today.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by EPH612

It wasn't replaced so much as it isn't used much anymore, now that there are more effective anti-tank weapons available. What's the point in sending in a multi-million dollar tank when it can just be blown up/damaged, and takes forever to get from Point A to B? Besides, the US doesn't usually need to send in the tanks. Helicopters and Humvees can usually handle most of what the US military runs into today.

Tanks have a purpose!. I am pro tanks in battlefield. Grandfather battle of bulge tanker. But yeah you are right. I see a lot of RPG weapons in the hands of those in the M.E. on tv all the time

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   
So we sold them the tanks. Doesn't that mean they gave us money for them? People should be happy we got money put back into our system. Now complain about how your states are selling your interstates to foreign companies.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Alda1981

As a fellow greek I can tell you your wrong. All this greek crises didn't start with the corrupt goverment, even though it was part of it, snd it didn't start with the hate greeks dislike turks, cause thats been going on for thosand years and longer. It started when the corrupt greek goverment CFO decided to raise the taxes on the wealthy. The Greek wealthy found out about this and pulled several hundred billion of there dollars and euro's from the greek banks. This made the greek problem, the wealthy didn't want to pay any taxes, its not the common greeks fault, but there the ones geting the shaft. And the wealthy super elite couldn't careless they just put there dollars and euro's somewhere more solvent. If a corrupt goverment is only being held up by the weathies money then when it vanishes so does the corrupt goverment and they have to tighten the belt, beg for money from the Eurozone , which would fall to Germany. And the germans don't like it one bit.

Thats the real reason behind the greek default, and the greek people rioting in the streets. its not the peoples fault, its the super elites fault, and the love of money...

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Aye yer probably correct about them sitting in Iraq, rusting away......The Isrealis are mixed up in this deeply i suspect.
They, have their eyes firmly fixed on oil and gas reserves in the Med.
Cyprus has these reserves in plenty and Isreal is partners in the developement of the field, which is massive and could supply europe with N gas.
(thus saving them from russian extortion, for theirs)
The Turks want a piece of that oil anm gas too, and have invaded Cyprus years ago and hold the northern end of the island.
400 M1A1 tanks may be just what the doctor ordered to balance Turkys sixth largest military in the world.
Isreal+Greece just about does it with the tanks thrown in.
However, they wont be using them any time soon......
training, transport, refits, and such will be required.
Id say this is meaningless to any CURRENT actions (ie next three months anyways)
This is more likely the window for this crisis....Gaza Blockade run will be the spark.....

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   
The new energy state has officially been mentioned for well over a month, and sides have been chosen from past, present and future allies on who they will back. As many have pointed out, Greece is in a financial tornado but by no means is it broke, as the media have so well orchestrated the symphony. Is n.a.t.o. preparing its allies for the mid 12 rift between its ranks, yes they are, as it was pointed out, you do not move so much hardware into a region over a dispute such Libya. I would estimate early June in 12 to be the beginning of what many viewers and members have already mentioned in hundreds if not thousands of threads regarding an all out fast but violent skirmish between former and current allies. This in my opinion is what will either solidify the e.u or create the official foundation for the one world political leader and currency currently being discussed within think tanks and slightly touched on various websites.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Warthogs and the tank killing helicopter thingys.

Tanks are just sitting ducks waiting to get the hell blown out of them from air power.

Basically, they are just a nice fat target for a laser guided weapon.
edit on 7-10-2011 by Convicted because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Convicted

Tanks are just sitting ducks waiting to get the hell blown out of them from air power.

That is obviously if no air defence is present, otherwise those low flying and so called low emiting radar signatures of helo's are just as much a sitting target as a tank would be.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by cerebralassassins

Originally posted by Convicted

That is obviously if no air defence is present, otherwise those low flying and so called low emiting radar signatures of helo's are just as much a sitting target as a tank would be.

It's a moot point because we are the only ones with the airpower.

In an all out war we could destroy the bulk of any countries air force in a matter of days, even Russia and China.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Turkey is becoming less secular and Greece guards the backdoor of Europe. They probably feel that it's a good move to bolster forces there.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   
It strikes me as rather perverse, that a government which cannot afford to keep its nations people in work and food, is interested in taking the U.S. up on the offer of this wartech. The priority for the Greek government should be keeping every last Euro, every single dollar it retains control over, to absorb some of the horrific damage that is being done to the nation by speculation about its capacity to pay its bills.

I personally couldnt give a damn wether the U.S. is throwing good money after bad in selling these tanks to Greece, but I am furious that the Greek government are purchasing war gear with money they should be using to insulate thier people from hardship.

The fact is that until Greece has ensured the economic stability of its people, its banks, and its governmental bank balance, it has no business spending money on what amounts to trinkets like these. They should be buying items that will save them money, like renewable energy technologies, like solar for instance. Being one of the warmest, and most often sunny nations in the region in which it stands, you would have thought this would be the place to start.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join