It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The U.S. approved to grant 400 M1A1 Abrams to... Greece!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 03:45 AM
link   

The U.S. approved to grant 400 M1A1 Abrams to... Greece!

www.defencegreece.com

According to information of the “Hellenic Defence & Technology” magazine, the U.S. authorities approved to grant 400 M1A1 Abrams tanks to the Greek Army, which will include options between simple refurbishment – worth tens of millions dollars for all the tanks- and upgrading to a higher level of operational capability, with a higher corresponding cost. The relative Letter of Offer and Acceptance (LOA) is expected soon.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 03:45 AM
link   
What a wonderful idea! Sell 400 Tanks to a country that have no money to pay its debts! A Country on bankrupt. A Country that have not money to pay pensions and wages to its citizens.
A huge financial crisis on the verge and greece indebt itself for billions euros for 400 Tanks!

Why this? It is a blackmail?

Something wrong in this mad world.
Something very very bad at the horizon.....

www.defencegreece.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 03:51 AM
link   
once a country is in debt to another country, the country becomes owned by the loaner's even after the debt is "paid off" america is selling them tanks because they have better ones... old stock

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 03:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by camouflaged
once a country is in debt to another country, the country becomes owned by the loaner's even after the debt is "paid off" america is selling them tanks because they have better ones... old stock

There selling them tanks for when SHTF in greece.

Its going to hit soon..

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 03:59 AM
link   
It's crazy, now if they bought something like solar panel stations or anything for life support like farming machines I could understand but tanks? It's funny, I guess no consumer would get a loan for buying weapons when they are already deep into debts but it's OK for the US to sell weapons to a country in debt. Maybe the policiticians who arranged the deal received benefits?

Something to add, in 2003 Greece bought 170 leopard tanks from Germany, then again in 2005 they bought 346 more. Are they expecting something? I know Greece and Turkey haven't been best friends but why buy more. These are not tanks meant for urban warfare if they were planning to use it against the many protests of the Greek population. Maybe to greet the debt collectors when they come?
edit on 7/10/2011 by Dragonfly79 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 04:04 AM
link   
Surely the point about Greece wanting 400 tanks is against whom do they intend firing such weapons?

Is their wealth and heritage threatened by some monster at the borders? Will those tanks face outwards from Greece..... OR.......

No those tanks are being supplied by the bankers to the Greek Government to threaten and kill if neccesary, their own civilians if they won't settle down and accept whatever punishment and pillage the banks are deciding Greece is due to get.

What we should all be watching is who next will be buying old, but still very dangerous USA tanks, after all the Fed ands central banks only weapon is money and they can't beat the Greeks with rolled lolley, so they transform it into weapons. Personally I'd turn the tanks to make them face the central banks, we wouldn't need quantative easing after their little windfall escapes through a nice large hole in the wall and hits the street. Bonuses all round there I'd say.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 04:11 AM
link   
Well let a Greek tell you.
Right now with those tanks we became second largest tank force of all europe. I am sure you are all aware of the game being played between Greece Turkey Israel and Cyprus. The USA wants part of the pie from that oil and wants to make sure that the neighbours wont fool around. They have a bad reputation of bullying a lot as you know

Its preety naive to say that 400 tanks would be used for the rioters. Those riots are in a matter of 2-3 blocks.

I am affraid the situation is preety more deep than just the internal problems of Greece.

And Greece has always been like this. Being forced to take loans and then buy from the same countries that loaned us their tanks and helicopters and submarines.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 04:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Lynda101

I was thinking the same thing. There's gonna be mass riots soon, what better time to have tanks sitting around to protect the Government?

Or is it an IMF-like deal where they loan them tanks they can't pay for and then make them attack someone else for the debt to be forgiven?

Things that make you go

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 04:18 AM
link   
Or it could just be a scare tactic against the Greek protesters. Creating false information calm people down.

" If you want to get dirty we are willing to blow you all up !"

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 04:22 AM
link   
reply to post by camouflaged

america is selling them tanks because they have better ones... old stock

And when was the last time we actually used our Abram tanks in full force? The battle of Fallujah in 2003? You hardly hear about them now days....How are they still old? They might be old in age, but they are still good tanks. Probably the best in my opinion, I don't think there is any better ones, yet...

link   

Originally posted by WeSbO
Or it could just be a scare tactic against the Greek protesters. Creating false information calm people down.

" If you want to get dirty we are willing to blow you all up !"

Guyz please... those things have stoped in greece since the retarded dictators we over threw. There is no way in hell that tanks would go in the streets. Thats just out of the world.

Mass media do show the protests but it looks like its all around greece but i repeat. They are in 2-3 blocks in the entrance of Parliament. 5 blocks after life is as usual with shoping drinking coffee etc.

The power of image does create a feeling of Greece burning but trust me things are not as they present them.

Sure ppl here are fed up with the whole economic situation (i am also) but Tanks?? no way in hell...

link   
I wander what are the FMI, EU, World Bank, Stock Markets opinions about this huge waste of money.....

edit on 7-10-2011 by Arken because: (no reason given)

link   
Common guys, this one is not very hard to dig up :

Sept, 15th :

Greece have invoked the mutual defense pact they signed secretly only 12 days ago in the light of heavy Turkish sea and air movements in the eastern Mediterranean.

www.debka.com...

This is worrying to say the least.
edit on 7-10-2011 by kineticdamage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 04:23 AM
link   
tanks are a relic from ww2 and the cold war, besides for most modern armies they are kinda obsolete..

kinda waste of money to buy them imho, i wonder if there is more behind this move.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 04:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by kineticdamage
Common guys, this one is not very hard to dig up :

Sept, 15th :

Greece have invoked the mutual defense pact they signed secretly only 12 days ago in the light of heavy Turkish sea and air movements in the eastern Mediterranean.

www.debka.com...

This is worrying to say the least.
edit on 7-10-2011 by kineticdamage because: (no reason given)

So Greece go at WAR with TURKEY?

Both NATO allies?

This means collapse of NATo and the 3rd World War....
edit on 7-10-2011 by Arken because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 04:31 AM
link   
What the first spark?
Hmmm....

WW1---- Sarajevo

WW2---- Poland

Vietnam----Tonkino

Afganistan---- Twin Towers

Iraq----- weapons of mass destruction

Greece-------- Cyprus?

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 05:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Arken

This is pretty damn scary, it all points out in Turkey direction, forget that those tank would be used on streets, riot police and snipers with some light-armored support would do just fine. Such a force would be intended to use in stricte military combat, against another tanks. Greece borders are shared with Bulgaria, Macedonia, Armenia and Turkey. Which let's not forget have nuclear capabilities, thanks to Uncle Sam's generosity.

Getting really tense there.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 05:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by popsmayhem

Its going to hit soon..

This seems like the most likely scenario.
With the recent news of the CIA claiming a military coup is possible , These tanks will most definitely assist in installing a corporately backed leader.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 05:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by patent98310

Originally posted by popsmayhem

Its going to hit soon..

This seems like the most likely scenario.
With the recent news of the CIA claiming a military coup is possible , These tanks will most definitely assist in installing a corporately backed leader.

not in a hundred years

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 05:11 AM
link   
Is Greece afraid someone is going to invade or something? No one would want that country in the its current state. This is ridiculous that they're actually spending money they don't have on weapons. I guess they have learned from the good ole US of A.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join