It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do people say "God" without giving the specific name of said God?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by MentalGiant

Don't mix God with religion, religion is been made by the Annunaki handed to the Nephilim and thought to the dumb down humans, to divide and conquer humanity.

The ancient script of the bible is a History book, not religion.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Thus, the true God is readily distinguishable from the many false gods. He is the almighty Creator of the universe, including planet Earth and mankind upon it. He has a unique personal name- Yahweh. He is no part of a mysterious triune god, or Trinity. He is a God of love, and he wishes only the best for his human creation. But he is also a God of justice, and he will not forever tolerate those who insist on ruining the earth ( Hybrid / Nephilim ) and fomenting wars and violence.

Yahweh has revealed his determination not only to rid the earth of wickedness and suffering but also to make it a paradise where honest hearted people can live forever in happiness. (Psalm 37:10, 11, 29, 34) Almighty God has now installed his Son, Yeshua / Jesus, as the heavenly King of God's Kingdom, and soon Yeshua will usher in that new world of righteousness and restore Paradise conditions to our earth.—Daniel 2:44; Matthew 6:9, 10.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Charles Taze Russell did not invent God's name as Jehovah.....

YHWH was the Ancient Hebrew name of God - The Tetragrammaton. It means "He causes to become"... more of a meaning than just The one who Creates" because Jehovah can adapt to allow his will to take place.

In every place in some modern Bibles where you see LORD in capitals this replaced the divine name.

Most Church of England Hymn books until fairly recently included Hymns like "Guide me oh thou great Jehovah" subsequently this was altered to "great redeemer". Up until the last couple of centuries most sermons from the pulpit included the name of Jehovah....

It is also to be noted Jah is the shortened version of Jehovah.... & most people pronounce it JAH )as in JAR of JAM) but everytime anyone sings Hallelujah they are effectively singing Praise Jah....or Praise Jehovah it is pronounced Yah as it has U before it...

Although people may argue it should be pronounced Yahweh - it seems the more common name for God
was Jehovah ... as anyone who has seen the ending of the The Last Crusade with Harrison Ford when he explains the name of God and how it was spelled in Latin.
edit on 7-10-2011 by JB1234 because: Missing text

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   
it is the act of prayer that matters. not the specific god.

its all an imagined context to a real thing that cannot be fully perceived, in the same way that a neuron cannot fully perceive your mind. it might have some ideas tho....

it is the ACT that is important.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   
why do you call your mom mom without using her specific name? Do you think God minds that we lovingly call Him God, Our Lord, Our Father?
There are other matters our attention could be focused on.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Reptius

Even Yahweh is not his real name, Yahweh just means "the Lord" in hebrew. Only the orthodox jew priests know his true name and they aren't going to tell. For them just writing his name is a blasphemy.

According to the jewish Torah, the hebrew version there are many "elohim" which is the hebrew word for "god" or "gods". At the beginning the hebrews thought that the angels were originally gods, until they went to worship them and the angels were horrified at this prospect and claimed they were not "the Almighty" or Yahweh (YHWH because in hebrew there were originally no vowels), the Lord.

edit on 7-10-2011 by lonewolf19792000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Human4life

Don't mix God with religion, religion is been made by the Annunaki handed to the Nephilim and thought to the dumb down humans, to divide and conquer humanity.

I agree.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   
You can't work out the answer to your own question? It's simpler than 1+1

This is amazing !!!!

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   
I fail to understand why it matters to call G*d any other name, unless that person wants to use another name. The omnipotent, omnipresent title "G*d" is not only an appropriate name but it's also a nearly universally understood concept.

If someone wants to use another name or title for G*d, then so be it. That is their choice, but the G*d one is understood by all. And if you speak to be understood, why not choose the one everyone understands... If you speak directly to the Creator, then you lavish G*d with his other names and titles as a means of adoration and honor; but here, you are not speaking to be understood by anyone other than the one who understands all.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Some of us have our own definition of what god is.

Others do it because it's the social norm.

Still others use it to manipulate or convert others.

When you ask which god, it's an invitation for them to regurgitate whatever dogma they're into all over you in an effort to brainwash you and pull you into whatever cult they call home.

Originally posted by chrissiel123
why do you call your mom mom without using her specific name? Do you think God minds that we lovingly call Him God, Our Lord, Our Father?
There are other matters our attention could be focused on.

Beautifully put. So succinct. Excellent post.
edit on 10/7/2011 by DieBravely because: (no reason given)

Originally posted by Magantice
I became disenchanted with the God of the bible for my own reasons. As for my God, his name is prime creator. He isnt listed in any bible. The difference between my God, Prime Creator, and the god of the bible is my Prime creator is pure love light and energy etc, where as the god of the bible is a vengeful God.

We pray to the same god.

Is yours a big old man with a big white beard who lives on a cloud and watches you pee? Because mine isn't. Mine is the universe itself, everything, including me and you. I think we worship the same god, friend.
edit on 10/7/2011 by DieBravely because: because your crazy editby tag decided to made my words all tiny and green... twice.. and this time maybe too
extra DIV

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Reptius
I've begun to notice this more and more people will say things like "Go to god." or "Pray to god" without ever classifying which god they meant. Do they mean Yahweh the Christian god or Thor or Loki or Zeus?Am I just suppose to assume someone is a Christian because they used the word God or what? It also seems rather cocky , like you think your good is the one true god. Now I know in the bible Yahweh says he's the one true good but other then that there's no real specific proof that there's only one good out there. Once again religions like Hinduism and Norse paganism is both have multiple gods.

When i use the word God i am talking about YOUR God. And if you don't believe in God, i am referring to whatever you have concluded/assumed the sum of all existence, reality, Truth is. When you strain your brain to comprehend the totality of everything, from which everything is contained or expressed from, that which you are attempting to label is - God.

Most people who are offended by the word are actually offended by people's definition. Because they don't think anyone has the right to comprehend God. They don't feel like their definition is worthy of the label God.

God is infinite because our experience of existence is infinite. Everything is moving. Our knowledge is eternally temporal.

If to us the universe is x light years wide and x years old and x pounds and that is existence.. then that is our God. If we include x dimensions maybe that is the sum of our God.

Even in science the word God is useful. People are looking for the "God" particle? Serves a purpose. Although the use of the term is already outdated because the particle is just another of infinite particles to be discovered.

There is no use bashing people's use of the word. But it's not very constructive for one's own understanding to assume there is no God because everyone's definition does not suit us.

Check out the history of the word "infinity".. it's pretty interesting.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Magantice
reply to post by Reptius

I became disenchanted with the God of the bible for my own reasons. As for my God, his name is prime creator. He isnt listed in any bible. The difference between my God, Prime Creator, and the god of the bible is my Prime creator is pure love light and energy etc, where as the god of the bible is a vengeful God.

You know, we all do see what we want.. Especially when it comes to the bible. Nowhere in the bible is God directly described as something quite like this:

"Whoever does not love does not know God, because God IS love. "

God IS Love. Sounds like what you are saying. I mean.. this is quite significant. He isn't saying this is a characteristic of God... He is literally saying Love and God are the same thing.

I tend to go with Jesus when he says the sum of the law is this:

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength."

Focus your entire being on Love, that is how you can know God.

'Love your neighbor as yourself.' There is no commandment greater than these."

The practice of Love is the expression of God. Because again, God is Love.

So i know people will try and convince you of all kinds of things. But sounds like you know who/what your God is. And surprisingly the bible agrees... At least some parts do. Just throw out the parts you don't agree with like everyone else does and you might find some good info in the bible.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 08:09 PM
link   
'God' is a title like Mr. Mrs.
Wouldn't it be just a bit disrespectful calling him steve ? bob ?
or jack ?
Why is it that no one calls their parents by their 1rst names ?
'God' has a last name too ? If names are given at birth, then
who named God ?

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   
You might call someone Lord.... but that is a title. If you want to get to know them personally, one of the first things you do is ask that person his/her name. It is no different to our Creator.... The one "who causes to become".

There is a stone tablet in the British Museum in the early writing section. I think from memory it dates back to a few centuries BC. It uses YHWH in the text, which is only a few lines and it is not a quote from the Bible or anything it's just some writing. The fact that this fragement of a clay tablet shows that God's name YHWH Jehovah.. or Yahweh if you prefer... was in common use at that time. It was only certain sects of Jews who refused to use the name of God. That name appears 8362 times in the original Bible texts.

Jesus said himself that it was his role on earth to make the name of God Jehovah widely known... (John 17:6) . . ."I have made YOUR NAME(God's name) manifest to the men you gave me out of the world. They were yours, and you gave them to me, and they have observed your word....(John 17:8) . . .because the sayings that you gave me I have given to them, and they have received them and have certainly come to know that I came out as your representative, and they have believed that you sent me forth.

Jesus called his heavenly father by his divine name also as can be seen from (Mark 12:28-30) . . .Now one of the scribes that had come up and heard them disputing, knowing that he had answered them in a fine way, asked him: “Which commandment is first of all?” 29 Jesus answered: “The first is, ‘Hear, O Israel, Jehovah our God is one Jehovah, 30 and you must love Jehovah your God with your whole heart and with your whole soul and with your whole mind and with your whole strength. . .

Although on occasion Jesus also called out to his heavenly father and used the word Abba, which is a familiar form of father... perhaps we would liken it to calling our father Pappa or Dad.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Were do you interpret what I said as mixing God with Religion? Religion is inferior to understanding the Tao. You obviously do not understand the Tao.

Receiving Tao and understanding Tao is far superior to "Religion" Tao enables man to invent religion. if you cannot understand that, then you are not ready to even begin understandiung the Tao.

I feel sorry for you, and I will pray for you if you are stuck in Religion, and think Christianity is the only way.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000

I agree.

I do not mix God with Religion. I do not understand how you got that perception by my post. I guess you are seeking to make your point, and noit seeking to understand. Thats OK. I understand you. The ancient script of the bible is a "loosely realistic history book" filled with metaphors parables, embellishents and so forth, to make that specific God better tan the rest.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Tao is the reason Religion exists. It is the essence of "God". It is the essence of all religion focused on good

Oh, I'm sorry I didn't realise your were referring to your god.

But my God is not to be mix with religions at all.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Reptius

There are Gods which don't allow people to take their names lightly. Yahweh, the Judeo-Christian deity, has commanded that you shall not take his name in vain. Now this typically has to do with taking oaths in the name of God but most Christians expand this to mean blasphemy or just saying "Jesus Christ!" or "Oh my God" as exclamations. Also many Christians don't even know the names of God from the Bible (there are numerous names and titles for Yahweh).

Since there are 2 Billion Christians and Christianity is very prevalent here in the so-called First World countries most can throw the word God around and be understood to be referring to the Christian God.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   
This stuff is all kiddy stuff, for kindergarden students, and the Higher Ups are far more relaxed, humble/loving, kind with an incredible sense of Humor and great understanding. While we mull over problems like this. What to call them.

The most important thing is, to Love and Unconditional Love, not only not to harm, but to give to others, even a smile, help, to really consider life like being in a bad movie, where you are inserted, memory taken, and now, what are you really made of? Can you turn this plot around? Do you have a heart.

Because this other stuff is really just kiddy, irrelevant. I am a Christian as well. I don't consider the names for God valid, and since God never demanded anyone kill the conquered races down to the suckling child, one has to be very discerning, and really only choose the true love parts, for there are two paths, we always get a choice in this duality, progression/love or regression/harm. They put the black and white mason checkerboard floor in all the religions too.

Personally I would be more concerned that all the names they put in there may be codes for demiurges since God isnt a warring/smiting war general demanding animal sacrifice, and I dont trust any of the ones who made this up, the elites, and just say Mom/Dad and Good Family.

Lord, King, Thrones are all something I avoid just as much. The Good Family and Mother/Father, Prime Creator are very humble and loving. Don't call anyone lord or king or master.

And Guess What? You really have a Mom too, and Aunts, Uncles, Grandpa's, Grandma's, Great Uncles and Aunts, and Great Greats, to Infinity and Beyond, in ininite Progression. Its wonderful. And you have to turn that pyramid upside to get it, to really appreciate what happens when you stop having the ability to harm even a fly, just love.
edit on 8-10-2011 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Tao is the reason Religion exists. It is the essence of "God". It is the essence of all religion focused on good

Oh, I'm sorry I didn't realise your were referring to your god.

But my God is not to be mix with religions at all.

Tao is not God. Tao is not "My God" tao is not "My Religion" I never mixed "My God" with anything. I am sorry you cannot understand. Good Luck with things. You are way to far down the rabbit hole with your "understanding". Good Luck with that. I cannot dialogue with someone who has such stong "beliefs", and feels their "Religion" is superior. I do not have religion, I have something that is far different. I understand the Tao - you do not. Please take the time to understand, you will see that understanding the Tao will make you a better messenger of your own path. Peace.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join