It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do people say "God" without giving the specific name of said God?

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by jmdewey60

MAY GOD BE WITH YOU

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by JB1234
As I've said many times in this thread, there is not one single reference that Jesus claimed to be Jehovah.THAT would have been blasphemy!

Trinities of gods have flourished in Babylon, Assyria, and Egypt, as well as in Buddhist lands. Christendom too has its “holy” Trinity, which derives it's roots NOT from Scripture but from these pagan civilisations.

edit on 17-10-2011 by JB1234 because: Added detail

Here are two references. The first , Jesus specifically states "I am Jehova." In the second reference, Jesus tells his disciples to baptise in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.

Isaiah 43: 10 - 12 (Young's Literal Translation)

10 Ye [are] My witnesses, an affirmation of Jehovah, And My servant whom I have chosen, So that ye know and give credence to Me, And understand that I [am] He, Before Me there was no God formed, And after Me there is none.
11 I [am] Jehovah, And besides Me there is no saviour.
12 I declared, and saved, and proclaimed, And there is no stranger with you, And ye [are] My witnesses, an affirmation of Jehovah, And I [am] God.

Matthew 28:16-20

16 And the eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mount where Jesus appointed them, 17 and having seen him, they bowed to him, but some did waver. 18 And having come near, Jesus spake to them, saying, 'Given to me was all authority in heaven and on earth; 19 having gone, then, disciple all the nations, (baptizing them—to the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit, 20 teaching them to observe all, whatever I did command you,) and lo, I am with you all the days—till the full end of the age.'

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   
In my opinion I think if Jesus were looking at this thread he would say ...

Why squabble over a difference. Everyone does not think alike. We are all made special and or different. Love your brother and listen to him....learn, but by all means do seek for yourself and the answers will be given. Do you think God cares what name you give him after millions of years of being called a Word that has many meanings. He is everything and everywhere...do not humanize Him to your understanding because it is not possible.

I love you all and I know Jesus would not care. He said, "God is love" he also spoke about God being our Father who is in Heaven. Why should I or anyone for that matter shove a belief down another's throat in regards to a belief of a name. I don't think any of us have that right...nor do we have the ultimate truth on Earth. When the Word was made good and the Truth came to the Earth, what did man do? He twisted it all around to fit his ego and greed for control and when this happened a cult formed into another and into another and we have everyone trying to control others....right down to their thoughts. We are not to be slaves to any man.

I, myself have had many names, yet I am the same spirit I have always been, yet on a much higher level as I have grown and blossomed within the Word of God through the life he has given me through his light of Love.

In other words....my opinion is...who cares? God doesn't. Jesus doesn't. I don't ....why do you?

No one person, not me..not anyone within this thread is right...and anyone who argues that fact is equally wrong.

Love, listen, and learn. Nothing more...nothing less.

Peace and love to you all!!!!! xoxoxox

Jenn

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Blarneystoner

Isaiah 43: 10-12, Septuegint nets translation

Be my witness;
[color=DarkSlateGray]..I too am a witness, says the Lord God,
[color=DarkSlateGray]..and the servant whom I have chosen
so that you may believe
[color=DarkSlateGray]..and understand that I am.
Before me there was no other god,
[color=DarkSlateGray]..nor shall there be any after me.
I am God,
[color=DarkSlateGray]..and besides me there is none who saves.
I declared and saved; I reproached,
[color=DarkSlateGray]..and there no stranger among you.
You are my witnesses;
[color=DarkSlateGray]..I too am a witness, says the Lord God.

Slightly different reading, and I don't see it making any sort of point like you claim it does.

edit on 20-10-2011 by jmdewey60 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by jmdewey60

I suppose it's truly a matter of faith then... you either believe or you don't.
edit on 20-10-2011 by Blarneystoner because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   

[color=DarkSlateGray]..Right, everyone believes something, but you take that a step further, to being a transmitter of this belief you have adopted. That's fine and I think this is why we have a forum like this, to share ideas.
[color=DarkSlateGray]..Now that you have taken this move, I suggest you continue, and to build on your argument to be more persuasive, as to cause someone to be convinced.
[color=DarkSlateGray]..Here's a bit of not so trivia I picked up today, is this concept behind a word that shows up in the NT quite a bit, Truth.
[color=DarkSlateGray]..Is truth a secret? Not according to the understanding of the word by the people using it, which use ended up in the NT.
[color=DarkSlateGray]..Truth is what is evident when things are revealed, as in, set out in the open. Without that exposure, truth does not exist.

btw: hit the "quote" button to see the way I figured out to make indentations.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by jmdewey60

[color=DarkSlateGray]..Right, everyone believes something, but you take that a step further, to being a transmitter of this belief you have adopted. That's fine and I think this is why we have a forum like this, to share ideas.
[color=DarkSlateGray]..Now that you have taken this move, I suggest you continue, and to build on your argument to be more persuasive, as to cause someone to be convinced.
[color=DarkSlateGray]..Here's a bit of not so trivia I picked up today, is this concept behind a word that shows up in the NT quite a bit, Truth.
[color=DarkSlateGray]..Is truth a secret? Not according to the understanding of the word by the people using it, which use ended up in the NT.
[color=DarkSlateGray]..Truth is what is evident when things are revealed, as in, set out in the open. Without that exposure, truth does not exist.

btw: hit the "quote" button to see the way I figured out to make indentations.

The only move I have taken was to respond to another poster who questioned whether or not there were any verses where Christ claimed to be Jehova and also mentioned the Trinity. I simply posted two verses which I interpret as satisifying both criteria. Nothing more and nothing less.

If Truth is self evident, then I do not need to convince anyone.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   

First off Jesus did not speak a single word in Isaiah... So that would make your statement of Him conferming that he is God.... incorrect.

Secondly look at the passage you used in Mat 28... You posted the correct answer yourself... which also conferms he was Not God... In any case

18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.

Why would God give all the power of heaven and earth... to himself? IF he was actually God would he not already possess those powers?

No my friend, Jesus was not God... A part of God, yes... The one God... No... Heres a bit of scripture that reinforces what i tell you..

13Ye call me Master and Lord: and ye say well; for so I am.

14If I then, your Lord and Master, have washed your feet; ye also ought to wash one another's feet.

15For I have given you an example, that ye should do as I have done to you.

16Verily, verily, I say unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord; neither he that is sent greater than he that sent him.

Read and understand... Jesus was not God

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   

That's not what I said.
I was trying to say something quite the opposite.
Truth is what is revealed when it is brought forth.
There is no truth known until it is made known.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

At the last supper, Jesus said to his disciples: "this is the cup of my blood, the blood of the new and everlasting covenant."

My interpretation of those words is this; the new covenant replaces the old. The old covenant being the one made with Moses and all previous covenants. The only way this could be possible is if Christ was God, or God in the flesh. This concept is strengthened by the first words from the book of John.

John 1: 1-3 "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was with God in the beginning. 3 Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made."

John 1 14 "The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth."

It is my opinion and belief that Jesus was the incarnation of God on earth. Nothing anyone says to me will change that belief, it's my Faith. You can believe what you want as I am not here to proselytize, I seek not to convince.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by jmdewey60

That's not what I said.
I was trying to say something quite the opposite.
Truth is what is revealed when it is brought forth.
There is no truth known until it is made known.

We have a difference of opinion then. I believe that Truth is self evident and needs no revelation, only acknowledgment.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blarneystoner
reply to post by Akragon

At the last supper, Jesus said to his disciples: "this is the cup of my blood, the blood of the new and everlasting covenant."

My interpretation of those words is this; the new covenant replaces the old. The old covenant being the one made with Moses and all previous covenants. The only way this could be possible is if Christ was God, or God in the flesh. This concept is strengthened by the first words from the book of John.

John 1: 1-3 "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was with God in the beginning. 3 Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made."

John 1 14 "The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth."

It is my opinion and belief that Jesus was the incarnation of God on earth. Nothing anyone says to me will change that belief, it's my Faith. You can believe what you want as I am not here to proselytize, I seek not to convince.

I have no issue with that... and im not trying to convince you either, im just stateing the facts. Honestly its better if you worship him then anyone else IMHO... He was the son of God, of that i have no doubt. Though you should realize he was still not God...

Those quotes are fine, again believe whatever you will... but remember one thing... Jesus did not speak those words... That was John, narrating his book...

I will let you consider some things...

If Jesus was God, and did not lie... would he not have said "I am God" at least once?

IF he was God, why did he always speak of two seperate entities when he spoke of God... Yes he did say "I and my Father are one".... That does not mean "I am God"...

IF he was God, the One Father of Creation... why did he always proclaim that there was "One Greater then He"?

And then theres this...

Jesus saith unto her, Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God.

IF he was God, how can he have a God?

So, believe whatever you will... but i tell you, your God is not his God if you worship Jesus as God.

Or as he said...

16Verily, verily, I say unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord; neither he that is sent greater than he that sent him.

edit on 20-10-2011 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

According to the book of Genesis, man was created in God's image. Man's nature is dualistic, being both spiritual and physical at the same time. The spirit and physical bodies unified and separate at the same time. Maybe this is why the Christ never said, "I am God." Just as an artist is separate from his/her creation but yet at the same time the creation is a part of the artist. I do not claim to know the nature of God, nor to understand the "mind" of God, but limiting God to our narrow view of planes of existance that we experience is probably not the best way to approach this subject.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blarneystoner
reply to post by Akragon

According to the book of Genesis, man was created in God's image. Man's nature is dualistic, being both spiritual and physical at the same time. The spirit and physical bodies unified and separate at the same time. Maybe this is why the Christ never said, "I am God." Just as an artist is separate from his/her creation but yet at the same time the creation is a part of the artist. I do not claim to know the nature of God, nor to understand the "mind" of God, but limiting God to our narrow view of planes of existance that we experience is probably not the best way to approach this subject.

Ah, but let me show you something...

This is truth, man is body and spirit... But Christ never said he was God because he knew what he was, and where he was going...

13The Pharisees therefore said unto him, Thou bearest record of thyself; thy record is not true.

14Jesus answered and said unto them, Though I bear record of myself, yet my record is true: for I know whence I came, and whither I go; but ye cannot tell whence I come, and whither I go.

15Ye judge after the flesh; I judge no man.

16And yet if I judge, my judgment is true: for I am not alone, but I and the Father that sent me.

You said you "do not claim to know the nature of God"... By claiming Jesus was God, you claim to know Gods nature... simply because He was a man... Sent By God yes...but a man none the less

If you want to approach the subject in the best way... read what HE said... not what others said of him.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 08:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Are you familiar with the expression; “pissing up a rope?”
There is a fine line between a wise man and a fool. A wise man will tell you what he believes and at the same time tell you there is no certainty. A fool will tell you he knows the truth and is certain of it.

“Not-knowing is true knowledge.
Presuming to know is a disease.
First realize that you are sick;
then you can move toward health.” ~Lao Tzu

Trying to convince me that your version of the truth is certain is like pissing up a rope; it’s a futile effort.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   

The spirit and physical bodies unified and separate at the same time.
Do you mean by that, "a spirit body and a physical body are unified and separate. . .", or do you mean, "the spirit becomes unified and separate with each of our bodies. . ."?
edit on 21-10-2011 by jmdewey60 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Again, im not trying to convince you of anything... you believe whatever you like...

As i've said im just stating the facts... nothing more

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

No... you are providing your opinion based upon what you believe to be the facts... huge difference.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   

incorrect...

I am providing the facts based on what is written within the pages of said book...

On the other hand it seems you are providing information fed to you by someone, likely a church, or a website...

And just for your own clairification... That was an assumption... so feel free to call me an ass if im wrong

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join