It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facebook Logged-Out User Tracking Patent

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Facebook Logged-Out User Tracking Patent

publicintelligence.net

In one embodiment, a method is described for tracking information about the activities of users of a social networking system while on another domain.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Kinda places to rest any doubt if thats what they were doing even while being accused of it in the public. Just to go on then deny it. Facebook may not be so good afterall.
I do not use any of the social networks simply because I have no trust in a system (which is what that is) as large as those are, to NOT track it's users. Just the customer info alone sold could reap large sums of cash. Banks, insurance Companys, collection departments, major businesses all buy personal information.

publicintelligence.net
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Humint1

already got rid of my facebook account!

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 11:40 PM
link   
reply to post by UniverSoul

Me too!

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by UniverSoul
reply to post by Humint1

already got rid of my facebook account!

If I am understanding this technology correctly, you need to do more than stop using facebook.

If you have used it before you may be facing a complete format of your hard drive in order to clean out whatever it is that has been installed without our knowledge.

Also if this is true, than any website could also do such a thing (granted that pay to licence this technology).

I took a look at the information more closely and I still am unsure what mechanism they are using to achieve this feat. Whatever it is, I assume it has to be auto installed within our computers without our knowledge or consent. I cannot fathom any other way they could actually get logs of all of your internet traffic without doing something like this.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 11:43 PM
link   
I've got news for you. A lot of the conspiracy web sites use tracking software, some more pernicious than others. I think godlike productions is owned by a spyware company.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by SevenThunders
I've got news for you. A lot of the conspiracy web sites use tracking software, some more pernicious than others. I think godlike productions is owned by a spyware company.

or whoever owns gpl also owns a spyware comany?

easier this way i think?

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hazon

or whoever owns gpl also owns a spyware comany?

easier this way i think?

I stand corrected. You are of course right. Nothing so obvious as an outright ownership.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 12:38 AM
link   
Hrm, clearing cookies might fix that....

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 06:38 AM
link   
I'm not sure if Better Privacy works for Facebook(It goes after LSO's), but I recommend it to anyone using firefox. There's many others that hinder cookie tracking too, you just have to look into it a little to protect yourself.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 07:42 AM
link   
I still use Facebook, but now every time I am finished I first navigate to a neutral site like "Startingpage search", then I clear out/delete all 7 to 10 facebook cookies. You have to to leave facebook's site altogether before deleting because just being one of their pages, will set some cookies.

I also use Ghostery while brousing anywhere. It certainly feels better than just letting it all hang out there. Whether all this has any real benefit, I couldn't really say.

The thing is, this tracking is done primarily for business/ consumer issues, but now that its there, who's to stop it being used for political or moral watchdogs? We need to fight to maintain a degree of actual privacy.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by samlf3rd
reply to post by UniverSoul

Me too!

Me three!

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 10:13 AM
link   
So can Times retract Zuckerberg's 2010 Man of the Year award?

That psychopath has gotten everywhere that his is today through pathological dishonesty and chicanery.

IRM

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Humint1

gave up trying to hide on the net...use my facebook for informing others about injustice mainly...if I have to put myself out there to get people to wake up so be it... here is another program that keeps facebook from tracking you it bounces your ip all over the place does not allow any cookies but you will keep having to confirm it is really you when you log in to facebook with a bunch of questions www.torproject.org...

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Clearing cookies won't do it. Cookies set on facebook.com cannot be read by other domains. The issue is in LSOs (Flash Cookies) - Wikipedia. It is not just facebook doing things like this, advertisers are really bad for it.

Try a little experiment yourself, do a search for some product you've never searched for before. Something somewhat out of the ordinary for yourself. Over the next couple of days as you browse the web, pay attention to the various ads. You may start to see ads related to previous searches all from different websites. They may not be able to directly tie these to your personal info (if you don't stay logged into your FB account for example) but I figure if you leave enough bread crumbs lying around the net, if they want to put all the pieces together, they will.

Edit: Note that even happens here on ATS. That doesn't mean ATS is doing it purposely, just the ad companies that advertise here do.
edit on 7-10-2011 by fenceSitter because: Added Note

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
if you did have facebook and you closed your account, was it 'deactivated' or deleted? as i've been reading up on a couple of things and appearently it ain't as easy as you'd think to delete an account...this is from awhile back, and the deletion process has changed since, but its still tricky.....
check out this guy, who is particularly amusing

www.stevenmansour.com...

here's an updated how to for peeps who may need it

www.thedailybuggle.com...

so unless you have permanently deleted your facebook account, not 'deactivated', all your information is still in their database....
every post you made, every piece of information you gave, who your friends are, what you like and dislike....
and also what you look like....to me it seems like an easily accessible database for any governmental organisations who wish to spy upon the public....they have all your information and whats worse is that everyone willingly gave that information....

i cant say i'm a fan, but then again its incredibly useful to keep in touch with old friends, or friends who live half way across the planet...as its also free.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by wayno
I still use Facebook, but now every time I am finished I first navigate to a neutral site like "Startingpage search", then I clear out/delete all 7 to 10 facebook cookies. You have to to leave facebook's site altogether before deleting because just being one of their pages, will set some cookies.

I also use Ghostery while brousing anywhere. It certainly feels better than just letting it all hang out there. Whether all this has any real benefit, I couldn't really say.

The thing is, this tracking is done primarily for business/ consumer issues, but now that its there, who's to stop it being used for political or moral watchdogs? We need to fight to maintain a degree of actual privacy.

why don't you just use firefox in its sandboxed configuration when you visit FB or those other tracking sites (OOPs my Bad, in FireFox it is called "Private browsing", and you enter it by Control,Shift,P, or better yet, install a true sandbox on your PC and then run firefox, or I.E from that???? of you want even better privacy, use something like Tor, and be careful what you post..... It all depends on what you want. Do you want somebody that gets access to your computer not to know what you've been up, do you want somebody to not be able to trace where you made your posts from, etc ..... but in for any social service, that would sort of defy the objective of having those social services...... then rather use good old IRC via TOR, lol ....

edit on 7/10/2011 by Hellhound604 because: corrected what Firefox calls its sandboxed mode

edit on 7/10/2011 by Hellhound604 because: (no reason given)

edit on 7/10/2011 by Hellhound604 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by fluff007
if you did have facebook and you closed your account, was it 'deactivated' or deleted? as i've been reading up on a couple of things and appearently it ain't as easy as you'd think to delete an account...this is from awhile back, and the deletion process has changed since, but its still tricky.....
check out this guy, who is particularly amusing

www.stevenmansour.com...

here's an updated how to for peeps who may need it

www.thedailybuggle.com...

so unless you have permanently deleted your facebook account, not 'deactivated', all your information is still in their database....
every post you made, every piece of information you gave, who your friends are, what you like and dislike....
and also what you look like....to me it seems like an easily accessible database for any governmental organisations who wish to spy upon the public....they have all your information and whats worse is that everyone willingly gave that information....

i cant say i'm a fan, but then again its incredibly useful to keep in touch with old friends, or friends who live half way across the planet...as its also free.

Isn't this the way ATS also works???? even though you cancel your account (not that easy thing I believe), all the posts you have ever made is still there....

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Try the plugin for firefox called "priv3". It's suppose to protect you from being tracked by social networks.
I also use the plugin called "noscript".

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   
What about using Prism to eliminate cross-page tracking? How does this stand up as an option?

ETA: If someone is really set on avoiding ad-trackers and whatnot, the only way I can think of to do that is to surf using a Linux "Live CD or USB" without persistence (on the USB) and without installing to the hard-drive.

edit on 7-10-2011 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join