It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OP/ED: The Republican Convention: It's 1968 All Over Again.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Here's a list (though probably not complete) of the protests & gatherings already planned for this week.

It's rather large.

www.nynewsday.com...

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Relentless
Here's a list (though probably not complete) of the protests & gatherings already planned for this week.

It's rather large.

www.nynewsday.com...

Wow...so many groups are protesting...even a anti-Bush Wet T-Shirt contest...lol.

He's a Uniter, not a Divider.

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Relentless

Thanks for that list, whoa a wet t-shirt constest protest, hummm where does that came from, I wonder whose idea was that.

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by cstyle226
Wow...so many groups are protesting...even a anti-Bush Wet T-Shirt contest...lol.

Now that's my kind of protesting right there. I'll be sure to bring some beer.

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 12:28 PM
link   
I was kind of joking before when I said he's a uniter, not a divider...but while he has divided the country right down the middle, and squandered the unity he had after 9/11...he sure has brought all these different protests group together.

He's such a divider, and he doesn't even care. He doesn't even make an attempt to become more popular.

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gools
I hope you are wrong.

I for one do not see the logic in giving support to a party that generates massive protests against their policies, violent of not.

And while I agree with the sentiment - it just doesn't work. Like I said look at the end result of the '68 convention, the masses elected Nixon and we stayed in Vietnam.

The point of my post was to address human behavior. Let me give you another example - not election related. ELF and ALF. These two organizations have done more to harm animal rights and enviromental policies. They have made it more difficult to raise issues and get policies enacted, because the "teeming millions" see all activists as criminals and vandals.

In this day and age, we need to work the system not disrupt it.

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 12:42 PM
link   

It's rather large.

www.nynewsday.com...

Okay you sillies! I guess no one will notice this from the link now unless I put it up.

The A31 Coalition plans gatherings at barricades and spontaneous free-speech zones as well as no-permit direct actions:

9:30 a.m. At Bank of America financial roundtable, Tavern on the Green

All day. Actions at offices of corporations with Republican ties or those involved with the Iraq war, including:

-- Carlyle Group, Fifth Avenue at 58th Street

-- The RAND Corp., 342 Madison Avenue

-- Chevron, 230 Park Ave. 49th to 50th streets

-- General Motors, 767 Fifth Ave., 58th to 59th streets; and a showroom, 599 Lexington Ave. 52nd to 53rd streets

-- Global Crossing, 435 W. 50th St., Ninth to 10th avenues.

-- Hummer of Manhattan, 55th Street and 11th Avenue.

Just a little gasp seeing this one?

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 12:48 PM
link   

It's rather large.

www.nynewsday.com...

Okay you sillies! I guess no one will notice this from the link now unless I put it up.

The A31 Coalition plans gatherings at barricades and spontaneous free-speech zones as well as no-permit direct actions:

9:30 a.m. At Bank of America financial roundtable, Tavern on the Green

All day. Actions at offices of corporations with Republican ties or those involved with the Iraq war, including:

-- Carlyle Group, Fifth Avenue at 58th Street

-- The RAND Corp., 342 Madison Avenue

-- Chevron, 230 Park Ave. 49th to 50th streets

-- General Motors, 767 Fifth Ave., 58th to 59th streets; and a showroom, 599 Lexington Ave. 52nd to 53rd streets

-- Global Crossing, 435 W. 50th St., Ninth to 10th avenues.

-- Hummer of Manhattan, 55th Street and 11th Avenue.

Just a little gasp seeing this one?

Gasp. I imagine the Rand Corp. and Carlyle Group dispatching paramilitary squads to assault any protestors who get "too close."

[edit on 28-8-2004 by cstyle226]

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Thanks Relentless I was one of the few that by pass that one.

Well It have been post before about the links of some of these financial organizations and bush family, saudi and bin ladden.

Suppousely these groups benefit from the US war in afghanistan and Iraq.

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043

Suppousely these groups benefit from the US war in afghanistan and Iraq.

Supposedly? There's no doubt in my mind that Carlyle and Rand's pockets have fattened big time.

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 12:58 PM
link   
cstyle226,

Yes they have is just sometimes you have to be careful how to you express opinions.D
(I dont want men in black showing at my door)

I really think they probably have their own sharp shooters posted already in their fancy roofs just in case.

And this is just a joke.

[edit on 28-8-2004 by marg6043]

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
cstyle226,

Yes they have is just sometimes you have to be careful how to you express opinions.D
(I dont men in black showing at my door)

I really think they probably have their own sharp shooters posted already in their fancy roofs just in case.

And this is just a joke.

You're joking, but as we speak, snipers are on the rooftops in NY "to stop any terrorists."

[edit on 28-8-2004 by cstyle226]

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 01:04 PM
link   

You're joking, but as we speak, snipers are on the rooftops in NY "to stop any terrorists."

Should we go into the patriot act to "define a terrorist" that will be very scary indeed.

I believe most of the protestor will fall in that cathegory.

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Yeah, in their eyes, we are all terrorists.

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 01:09 PM
link   

www.nynewsday.com...

Actually, this is what caused my little gasp:

Sounds like the stage is being set for some get in your face confrontations. We really could do without stiking a match in this tinderbox.

Here's a link to A31 Coalition's website:

www.a31.org...

This to me seems an example of a situation that could well escalate.

EDIT:

A bit from their site:

We will converge on Madison Square Garden. Inside the Garden, the Republicans are holding a dog and pony show, fueled by corporate dollars. Outside, where the barricades end, real democracy begins. Where ever these barricades end, we will create "free speech zones." These will be places where we can express our outrage, where we can create the kind of world we want to see through music and free food and dancing and debate. We will not be asking for permits to create these zones. If we are asked to move, we will sit down and refuse.

[edit on 28-8-2004 by Relentless]

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bleys
They have made it more difficult to raise issues and get policies enacted, because the "teeming millions" see all activists as criminals and vandals.

And therein lies the problem. The media fail to present the issues by seeking out spokespeople for the causes. They prefer the sensationalism of tear gas filled running street battles.

I used to think that working within the system was the way to go. You know, change it from the inside etc. but...

... when the system IS the problem it NEEDS disruption IMHO.

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gools

Originally posted by Bleys
They have made it more difficult to raise issues and get policies enacted, because the "teeming millions" see all activists as criminals and vandals.

And therein lies the problem. The media fail to present the issues by seeking out spokespeople for the causes. They prefer the sensationalism of tear gas filled running street battles.

I used to think that working within the system was the way to go. You know, change it from the inside etc. but...

... when the system IS the problem it NEEDS disruption IMHO.

History shows us that you are right.

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Gools, cstyle226:

Normally I would agree with you. But this time I really think the country is in a very fragile state and tempers are runnng high. I think that a lot of good has come out of civil disobedience in our history, but now is not the time.

Besides, look at all those protests/protesters. The majority of them have said it and done it before, we know what they stand for and we either already agree with them or we don't.

We are talking NYC packed to the brim, a place that already has so many security concerns, I just am worried that now, with everything going on, is it worth risking what can go wrong? I really don't see anything new or significant coming out any of these protests on the positive side.

I have to go with Grady on this one - my freedom of speech as well as the future of this country is best served in the voting booth, not in the streets this time around.

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 01:50 PM
link   
I found this link very interesting. It is kind of long, but I think it is worth your time to at least read the quotes and the last couple of paragraphs. It seems like something that could never happen, but if that is the case, then our govt. will eventually destroy itself. Check it out:

wethepeoplesstateoftheunion.blogspot.com...

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Well even if I agree with peaceful demonstrations, I have to say that when people gather together they tend to let emotions run wild, and when it has to do with challenging the events and changes this administration has done concerning individual rights things will get ugly.

And nobody will be able to stop a massive demonstration it is not enough police to halt something like that.

I think this republican convention is going to make history.

Does anybody knows if the national guard has put on alert?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join